Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio: The Heart [and Hat] of it all!

The idea of Ohio hats intrigues me. As I state in every post (but will quit soon), I'm new to this, having purchased my first Panama a couple of years ago and my first fur felt in December. However, as a native Daytonian and a bit of a history buff, the idea of hats either made or sold originating in SW Ohio is interesting. I came upon this listing from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381109219178?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Engelbert Hatters, corner of Fairview and Catalpa. Now I grew up in that area and know it very well. There's now a fire station converted for other use, a church, a drive through, and Rinaldo's Bake Shop.

Rinaldo's has been there since 1957. The fire station was built in the 30's. Although the church has had a congregation in Dayton for 125 years, I don't know when this was built. The drive-thru looks like a converted residence, so it may stem from the 20's or 30's. Maybe I'll go down to the library this weekend and check the old city directories to date this hat shop.

In the meantime, I've started looking at the vintage clothing stores for hats made for Rike's, Dunhill's, the Metropolitan, or other shops. My dad didn't wear a hat, and I don't have a first-hand knowledge of Dayton area hatters.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I redently started a FL Group for Ohio Valley Members, and thought this might be a good place to drum up some membership :)

I was originally going to call this WOINKY :).

Put cooler heads prevailed.

It is a place for FL members from around Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana . . . A place to get to know our nearby Fellow Travelers and Kindred Spirits . . . Perhaps to plan get-togethers, share local events and gatherings, photos & generally meet other TFL members in the area!

I redently started a FL Group for Ohio Valley Members, and thought this might be a good place to drum up some membership :)

I was originally going to call this WOINKY :).

Put cooler heads prevailed.

It is a place for FL members from around Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana . . . A place to get to know our nearby Fellow Travelers and Kindred Spirits . . . Perhaps to plan get-togethers, share local events and gatherings, photos & generally meet other TFL members in the area!

Mingo,

Any additional info? Where are you? I;m sitting in The Gem City.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'd been asked to add this Resistol to this thread some time back, but forgot about it until I saw a recent post in this thread. I'll try to add a liner shot later.

5dc0c8259c28e1df0530c712c66df257.jpg
02e89b939d199e2e0aad170470f24034.jpg
43b2890c00ee31c9fc39016f5f4ed840.jpg
1de45630fc8ade7c44da3ef7e36a8aff.jpg

Shopping around Columbus' short north over the weekend - a few gleanings I left in the field... a mint Stetson Standard Quality derby and unworn Royal Stetson in a lovely green/gray. I just wasn't going to be that guy who wears a stack of hats onto the airplane. Anyone interested in finding them, give me a jingle.

ohio3.jpg

ohio4.jpg

ohio1.jpg

ohio2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart