Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm not finding any real difference in the sking doing this but I'm sure its doing it good, being natural though

i'm using 80 EVOO, 20 castor and rosehip oil to moisturise

do you experts recommend anything else for combination skin?

I'm a bit foxed

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
I'm pretty sure you can use the rosewater as toner, just as you would say, witch hazel. I have the BB's rosewater & glycerine. It was the only rosewater anything I could find.

I think the rosehip oil you can moisturize with. I thought I read that somewhere.

Yes, you can use rosewater as a toner...and rosehip oil is a great moisturizer.

Candied violets

New in Town
I figured I'd give OCM the ol' college try and I've purchased my oils but now I'm wondering about the cloths. I'm a tree-hugger and would prefer not to use disposable products but I also live in a tiny apartment. The laundry room is down several flights of stairs and it's costly and a pain. I don't really want to be running down there every week to do a batch of washcloths on hot all by their little lonesomes. I don't think I could add 30 odd washcloths to my home and find some place to store them dirty or clean. So, I'm wondering, can I wash them by hand? Must they be tumble dried? I almost never tumble dry anything you see... If I just soak them in detergent and maybe some vinegar or something and rinse them in really hot water would that be ok?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Well, the past day I've been using plain EVOO on my face and I can really notice a difference in the size of my pores immediately after I wash. I'm hoping that if I give it a week my pores will stay like this all the time.

Plus it smells yummy!

To ask a silly question - is the EVOO you use just ordinary kitchen variety?? :confused:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if I mentioned this, but as with everything, it stopped working for me after about a month. I have to switch fairly regularly or my skin adjusts. :(

R

Red_Lipstick

I know this thread is from months ago, but after reading all your posts I decided to give OCM a try. I've got pretty oily skin and blackheads on my nose and I didn't know what to do about it, so I kept on trying toners and creams with lots of chemicals. I've doing the OCM for a few days and I already see (and feel) the difference! My skin feels much nicer and the blackheads are much smaller!
So, first of all, thank you all for the tips :)

The only problem is I can't find castor oil in Spain so by now I use EVOO (that's not a problem here) and tea tree oil.
I might start trying other oils until I move to UK and can buy castor oil regularly, but do you have any advice on what could I use meanwhile?

Josephine

One Too Many
Red_Lipstick said:
The only problem is I can't find castor oil in Spain so by now I use EVOO (that's not a problem here) and tea tree oil.

You don't need Castor oil, it's just good for beginning to get most of the plugs and blackheads out, then you should stop using it as it is a rather drying oil. Mix some sweet almond oil with the EVOO if you'd like to try something else.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Red_Lipstick said:
I'll try the almond oil!

I like grapeseed oil and jojoba too. Both are nice and light, and moisturizing. I'll often use a few drops of jojoba oil as a moisturizer.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
My skin is incredibly oily, so the thought of adding more oil made me very, very nervous. But after reading this thread, I thought I'd give the oil cleansing method a try. I had some grapeseed oil, which is supposed to be astringent, and I've used it the past two nights. My face hasn't broken out at all, and while I can't vouch for its effectiveness after only two days, my skin seems to like it. :)

Ada Veen

Practically Family
OCM didn't suit my skin at all, I got lots of spots when I did it, so I went back to my regular cleansing routine and they cleared up :(

PS

A-List Customer
Has anyone tried the Lumene LIFT TOUCH Rejuvenating Cleansing Oil?

Grapeseed did horrible things to my skin last years so I've been avoiding OCM for a while, just getting back to it. My jojoba is nearly gone and wanted to try this.

Lilibet

New in Town
I have the Shu Uemura cleansing oil. I really like how light it is, how well it gets my makeup off, and that it is water-soluble. I usually massage it in, then wipe it off with a warm wet washcloth -- that seems to do th trick for exfoliating too. BUT, it isn't getting rid of the blackheads in my T-zone. Could I use the castor oil first, then follow with my Shu cleanser routine?

Also, I have some milia on my forehead and cheeks -- will the castor oil help get rid of them?

crwritt

One Too Many
I've been using a mix of castor oil and Evoo, with a drop of lavendar to cleanse my face for the past few months.
I went for a facial at a spa school last week and both the student and the instructor looked at me like I was a bit nuts when I described my minimal skin routine. (oil cleansing at bedtime, sunscreen during the day, occasional mineral makeup) Still, my skin looked very good under the magnifying glass, and I had only three clogged pores around my nose area. They were pretty surprised.The facial was wonderful, I highly recommend taking advantage of clinics at Spa and Massage schools.
Most facial products i have used in the past, especially the antiageing ones, have caused skin irritation.
Let's hear it for Oil Cleansing!

Josephine

One Too Many
crwritt said:
I've been using a mix of castor oil and Evoo, with a drop of lavendar to cleanse my face for the past few months.
I went for a facial at a spa school last week and both the student and the instructor looked at me like I was a bit nuts when I described my minimal skin routine. (oil cleansing at bedtime, sunscreen during the day, occasional mineral makeup) Still, my skin looked very good under the magnifying glass...

Don't you love it when professionals ooo and ahhh over your hair/skin/whatever and then you say you use henna/OCM/whatever, then they go off on a mini rant on how that is so bad for your hair/skin/whatever and you're thinking "You said my hair/skin/whatever was FABULOUS before I told you what I used, now it's toast?" lol

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
Don't you love it when professionals ooo and ahhh over your hair/skin/whatever and then you say you use henna/OCM/whatever, then they go off on a mini rant on how that is so bad for your hair/skin/whatever and you're thinking "You said my hair/skin/whatever was FABULOUS before I told you what I used, now it's toast?" lol

LOL! I sure do! I am the same with my hair - as I dont wash it with anything but conditioner and bi carb soda! Its funny to hear professionals say how healthy and lovely it is, and my friends, who dont know I dont shampoo!

Then when you say "I dont wash it" they kind of go....."ew"

But aside from that, I have completely fallen off the OCM wagon! I am terrible to my skin full stop, and its far from happy!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I've started using Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree liquid soap to wash my face with and I can't believe the difference. Over the past year, I've been getting bad adult/hormonal acne on my face and chest. I've been using harsh acne medications and the acne seemed like an endless cycle that would just get worse.

After reading the OCM thread, I'd been thinking about starting to use the OCM method on my face. While in the shower, I noticed that the ingredients in my Dr. Bronners soap were very similar to the OCM mixes that you gals were washing your face with, so I decided to try washing my face with Dr. Bronners. I can't believe the difference. My face used to be so oily, but now it isn't. My face has cleared up and I haven't had a breakout since I've started using Dr. Bronners. My skin looks soft and dewey. Who wold have thought that oil would make my skin look this good? I was the biggest doubter over the OCM method and tried it out of desperation and now I am a convert!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24