Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oilskin coats

Duper

Practically Family
I'm hoping my new Drizabone sizes out OK as well. I looked at their sizing chart and I thought I would be a medium (42) based on that. I also fall into a "between" size scenario. I guess I'm a size 41. I am typically large medium or a small large. The vendor Sam at EA suggested a large which is a 44 on the US size chart, but I was afraid I would look like I was floating in the larger size.

Dave, how did you find your Drizabone for sizing?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Duper said:
I'm hoping my new Drizabone sizes out OK as well. I looked at their sizing chart and I thought I would be a medium (42) based on that. I also fall into a "between" size scenario. I guess I'm a size 41. I am typically large medium or a small large. The vendor Sam at EA suggested a large which is a 44 on the US size chart, but I was afraid I would look like I was floating in the larger size.

Dave, how did you find your Drizabone for sizing?

My Bushman is marked as a Size 5 - M - Chest 105cm. It's a comfortable, loose fit for me that I can wear a couple of layers under, or get away with just wearing over a t-shirt. I wear a 38 chest in a suit, so you might want to take the advice about going up a size?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Some quick pics of my Drizabone, with apologies for my ugly mug...

Drizabone1.jpg

Drizabone2.jpg

Drizabone3.jpg

This is a Size 5, Medium, and I am about 5'9" and wear a 38" chest in a suit.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the photos Dave. Now I am a bit concerned about sizing. I'm 6' and weigh about 173 lbs. I was basing my order on the Drizabone site the say a M is a 42 and they said they are generous in the proportions. It sure would be nice to walk into a shop and try one on but that is not an option anywhere around here in Canada.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Duper said:
Thanks for the photos Dave. Now I am a bit concerned about sizing. I'm 6' and weigh about 173 lbs. I was basing my order on the Drizabone site the say a M is a 42 and they said they are generous in the proportions. It sure would be nice to walk into a shop and try one on but that is not an option anywhere around here in Canada.

Yep, it has 105cm marked in it, so that would be a 42. Don't get me wrong, I can wear a couple of reasonable layers under this, so you may be OK, it's definitely a loose fit on me.

normanf

One of the Regulars
If the shop has a return policy, you can buy the medium and if it doesn't fit right, return it for one the next size up. As long as you still have the tags attached and its in its original condition. And if an RMA is authorized by the store, the return cost is free.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Duper said:

Mine is a medium, I'm 5' 8" and weighed 165 when I bought it. The coat fits fine with plenty of room to probably wear a thick sweater under it, sounds like for you it would be perfect. I got the sheepskin liner for it, too, but honestly, if you don't sew the liner into it, it just comes out a lot.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the info DBLIII. I had considered ordering the liner as well, but figured I would hold off until the jacket sizing was sorted out. Maybe an early Xmas gift to myself.

Normanf, I'm sure Everything Australian would accept a return but it is the shipping costs between Canada and Australia that make it less attractive to do. I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

normanf

One of the Regulars
I can see see your problem. If you generally know your jacket size, you can generally order about any brand. There are some brands that wear larger than what is normally sized and in that case you order one size smaller than the size you usually order.

That said, I hope you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Drizabone - comments on sizes

I have 4 Drizabones - different models. They are all over the place size wise.

I'm around 6ft 2 185 pounds - a medium to thin build.

The Aussie Ranger XL fits like a XXL. L fits better

The Brumby is just right at XL, but the L is way too small and fits like an M.

The Jacana is just right as a XL it fits like an L. The L itself is not all that much tighter.

Standard Drizabone riding coat in XL isoomy but probably correct.

Sam at Everything Australian is a great help. If you have long arms you'll need to go a size up from your usual, I suspect.

Cheers - SL

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Dave E said:
I'll post once I get it (or discover it ain't coming) with my thoughts about the sizing. Should be next week one way or the other.

Spoke to the supplier this morning, and it will be a couple of weeks, but I will be getting my Kakadu Nelson. When it arrives I'll post about the sizing (and the quality next to my Drizabone).

narwhale

New in Town
Sounds good, Dave. I'll look forward to hearing your impressions. For what it's worth, I did get emails back from some Kakadu suppliers and one of them said that a medium would have a chest measurement of 46" and a length of 30 1/2". Sounds like if I want a trimmer fit I might be able to go down to a small as long as the sleeves are long enough.

Duper

Practically Family
Seb Lucas, wow you have a terrific collection. Thanks for the info. I envy your ease of access to such fine products as Akubra, Drizabone and Blundstone. I will definately let Sam know how the sizing turns out. It has always been great doing business with him.

Duper

Practically Family
Picked up my new New Drizabone 3/4 length coat from the Post Office on Saturday. I ordered the medium in this model and it fits great in the shoulders and body. Sleeves are fine as well. Thanks for all the input fellows.

It started raining today so I thought it would be a good time to take a quick photo on the back deck. I'm also wearing my Akubra Banjo Paterson that I got from Sam at Everything Australian in the Spring of 2009. It is also terrific in foul weather.

4966243744_31edecd970_z.jpg

Dave E

One of the Regulars
That Drizabone looks like a pretty good fit, nice one!

My Kakadu Nelson arrived today as well, and I said I'd post quickly about the sizing when it arrived.

Mine is marked as a Small, for chest 36" to 39":

Nelson1.jpg

Nelson3.jpg

Nelson2.jpg

As said, I'm a 38" chest, standing 5'9" tall. It's a pretty good fit, and I'll certainly be able to get an extra layer under it for warmth.

In terms of quality, I'd say my Drizabone is heavier and feels better made, but the Kakadu is fine. The proof will be in how it wears, the Drizabone I've pictured earlier in the thread is 9 years old and has been worn quite a lot, yet is still in excellent condition.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Picked up my new New Drizabone 3/4 length coat from the Post Office on Saturday. I ordered the medium in this model and it fits great in the shoulders and body. Sleeves are fine as well. Thanks for all the input fellows.

It started raining today so I thought it would be a good time to take a quick photo on the back deck. I'm also wearing my Akubra Banjo Paterson that I got from Sam at Everything Australian in the Spring of 2009. It is also terrific in foul weather.

4966243744_31edecd970_z.jpg

Looks good to me Duper, is that the Antique colour, and is the hat a Banjo?

Thyrus

New in Town
Hi, I'm new in this forum, but I hope you are able to help me. Thing is, that I want to buy really heavy duty duster in full length (about 140 cm in size L) and I have two options in my country (which is Czech Republic).

One is Kakadu Longrider with their Microwax technology for about 210 dollars http://www.wildcowboy.com/Long-Rider-3-in-1-Oilskin-FULL-LENGTH-Duster-3002.htm

and the other one is Scippis Longrider with Dri-Tec technology for about 295 dollars
http://www.australska-tricka.cz/australska-tricka-cz/eshop/7-1-Australske-kabaty/0/5/104-
LONGRIDER-Oilskin-Dri-Tec (sorry for czech page, but I was unable to find any english)

In this case money is not a problem, but quality and endurance is. Scippis is my favorite because it is about about four or five centimetres shorter which would fit me way much better, but I was not able to find a word about Scippis on the forums (well in fact I was, but the only forums with this topic I found were all in german language, which is language I do not understand a word...) and about Kakadu there are different oppinions from different people (some bad, some good,...). So do anyone know something about those two brands and may as well provide some advice (and if anyone would be able to say something about specificaly those two coats it would be brilliant)? Or do anyone know about some other high quality brand that sells heavy duty duster coats in lengths mentioned above (140 centimetres in size L, function like 3in1 like those coats mentioned above are not necessery, in fact without it it may be even better)? I have read that Drizabone is wonderful, but for me it is too short, which is really pity. Besides that today I was able to try Scippis Longrider coat in a shop, and length is perfect (both back and sleeves), but I was shocked by size around chest. I'm quite athletic thanks to martial arts, but for perfect fit of the coat I would have to have chest like a bull or Schwarzenneger :-O Are all aussie coats like that, or is
this some Scippis speciality? Thanks in advance for any response ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points