Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok my husband made fun of my make up....

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Your eyes look quite dramatic done up, but this is a good thing! You have a very lucky husband!

I used to think I looked a bit odd when I tried new things, but I think it's a case of
a) getting used to seeing your face in a different way
b) getting practise at applying new products or techniques to make them look less laboured.

You should have seen me the first time I tried liquid eyeliner, my then housemate nearly choked on her food xx

Inky

One Too Many
I concur with the rest of the gang - you look lovely both ways! It's fun to play with makeup and the best part - you can wash your face and start over and play some more!!

I heartily suggest KittyT's recommendation for Kevin Aucoin's book "Making Faces" - he was a true artist and there's a ton of fantastic information there, including the vintage looks.

Keep playing , you're very lovely!!

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Seriously you all are to sweet for words! Thank you, you make me feel like a million bucks.

Ok heres todays try. Its still not as vintagy as I would like. Suggestions? I'm thinking some false lashes. And umm hello, my messy pincurls that have been in from a wet set for 10 hours and still not dry! Sorry about the camera phone pics!
IMG00230.jpg

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
When I read your first post, I really was prepared for the worst! But to me, your "mishap" makes you look amazing! You have such lovely skin, and that red lipstick and the eye makeup you chose really make your features "pop" nicely! To my eyes, the "normal" lipstick makes them kind of disappear a bit. Would love to see the full look with the pincurls brushed out!

I think it may be a question of getting over that self-consciousness which sometimes comes with any change of look, be it into an evening gown or skinny jeans and Uggs!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
GoddessMama said:
Ok heres todays try. Its still not as vintagy as I would like. Suggestions? I'm thinking some false lashes.

Whit Whoo! Look at you! Fabulous...

Today I tried false lashes for the first time - I haven't needed them before but teaching seems to be making my eyes gradually disappear so I felt the need to jazz them up a bit :) I think you'd look lovely with some on, I can really see them working with the rest of your look.

Keep going chick, and remember that most of carrying off a new look is down to confidence x

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Stick with it ! Going from pale neutrals to bold bright colour can be a little daunting at first but you will find your look. I am also very pale but wouldn't be caught dead with out red lippy and lots of black liner. Can I ask why Marilyn is your inspiration ? There are so many wonderful looks you can create by perusing vintage magazines and images online. Explore them all. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
GoddessMama said:
Ok heres todays try. Its still not as vintagy as I would like. Suggestions? I'm thinking some false lashes.

I LOVE this look! The false lashes would add some glamor. Also, a lipstick that slightly darker, but not yet red. When I went red, I slowly bought gradually more red colors rather than switching to bright red overnight.

SayCici

Practically Family
I second kamikat's suggestion of going with a darker lipstick, and I think if you let your eyebrows grow in or fill them out more it'll feel more 'vintagey' to you.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
You look lovely! I agree that the initial reaction both you and your hubby had is probably just because you're not used to seeing those colors on yourself. Another idea for wearing brighter color lipstick is to layer it with your favorite lip balm so it's more sheer. This will help you get used to the tone and let you intensify it as you become more comfortable.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I agree on the eyebrows, I got a little over zealous with the wax the other day. They are normally much nicer, although on the narrow side. :rolleyes:

goldwyn girl~ I went with Marylin first cause DH likes her. I thought why not, its a good starting point as there are lots of tutorials on her make up. I think I am more of a Jane Mansfield fan myself. I did just re-order my Reminisce magazine, so hopefully I could find some ideas there.

tuppence~ I totally weigh 230 right now, LOL. I just carry my weight in my lower extremities. I learned how to pose just right to hide the double chin, LOL.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
GoddessMama, I second what several people said regarding the newness of a new look. I asked my man to read this thread. He's been generally supportive of my exploration of vintage looks, but he's very opinionated about the red lipstick on me and he doesn't like it. I do, so he can deal with it.

Today, he gave your beau's reaction a great deal of thought and felt compelled to explain the mans' point of view: "Men have a lot on their minds, what with running the world and all, and sometimes, we have inappropriate reactions."

:eusa_doh:

Tourbillion

Practically Family
You have a lovely face and really nice skin. I agree that you don't need much foundation, and the hair style is the right look. Even though you look great natural, here are a few suggestions to get a really good "Marilyn" look.

Your eyebrow shape is perfect for Marilyn. 50's eyebrows were shockingly dark and thick by todays standards. I would just darken them a bit until they get thicker, try a darker taupe or brown pencil.

Yes to false eyelashes! She also would have worn eyeshadow. Grey or blue are the perfect shades for 50's with platinum white under the brow for emphasis. You have the right idea with the eyeliner, but maybe a touch thicker of a line for glamor.

Marilyn had slightly warmer skin and hair tone than you, so she would have worn bright red coral or warm toned red lipsticks. If you think you can get away with it Besame's redhotred is their "Marilyn" shade. Revlon's Fire and Ice is a 50's red too.

If you can't manage the warm reds, just try a bright red like Revlon's Really Red matte lipstick, or a darker blue red. Fuchsia is also a possibility for your coloring.

I would try for some blush too, rose would be nice on your skin, or a shade that coordinates with your lipstick (i.e. a warmer shade for coral, or redhotred, cooler if you go with a blue shade or fuchsia).

You are definitely well on your way to the Marilyn look. :)

Mav

A-List Customer
1. A smart man never makes fun of a woman's makeup, clothes, or parents. Or her dog. Or car. Or taste in music.
2. You look great.

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
I think you look fabulous! I actually think I like you with a fairer complexion, than the second photo where you appear more tanned. I think the fair skin and bolder make-up really suits you!

I totally agree with everyone about how weird it feels when you wear different make-up for the first time. It is best to give it a few hours of staring at yourself in the mirror to become adjusted to it and be able to think critically about whether or not it truly looks good!

The first time I wore red lipstick I kinda felt overly made-up and self conscious, but now I love it!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I think you did a lovely job!

The handful of times I've played around with vintage makeup looks, there's always a moment of "OMG, I look like a clown!" before I get used to it. If you're not accustomed to wearing heavy makeup, it's definitely startling to see yourself all made up, and can take awhile to settle into before it starts to look normal (and for other people to get used to it as well).

Don't give up! And tell your husband to get used to it. :)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Reminisce magazine has wonderful photo's of everyday women. I'm sure you will find inspiration there. I was giving your second attempt a hard look over and if I were making you up I would darken your brows, they have great shape. Add a thicker black eyeliner and false lashes. Stay with more neutral shades of shadow and a blue red lipstick. Of course it all depends on which decade you are wanting to recreate to.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the ladies here on the lipstick - are darker shade would suit you nicely. If you're not ready for red yet, perhaps try a nice berry shade! I like to take MAC's Russian Red or Mac Red, blot, and then put a coat of pink over top. This gives a nice bright look without the bold daring of a pure red.

Yes to fake eyelashes! If you're not ready for that drama either, try the natural looking ones. The line they carry at Sally Beauty has a style called "pixies" that cover the outside 3/4 of your lid, aren't too long, and are nice and feathery. I LOVE these as they give you that extra oomph without looking like you're trying too hard :)

Definitely give those brows some definition! In addition, I would use a little bit darker of a neutral shade on the lower portion of your lids, to just above your crease. I like the lighter shade you have at the top, right under your brows. It adds some great definition to your brow bone!

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
GoddessMama said:
Seriously you all are to sweet for words! Thank you, you make me feel like a million bucks.

Ok heres todays try. Its still not as vintagy as I would like. Suggestions? I'm thinking some false lashes. And umm hello, my messy pincurls that have been in from a wet set for 10 hours and still not dry! Sorry about the camera phone pics!
IMG00230.jpg

Hot Mama! I think you look fantastic!!! I would also like to see it wthe pin curl set out and all fixed up :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner