Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok....so how many of you have gotten interested in hats and then

portolan

A-List Customer
bought one for your wife or girlfriend? I have gotten interested in hats, had my wife take some pictures and now she is bitten. So what did I do? I special ordered a hat for my wife from Major Moore for Christmas. Then I got her a JohnnyPhi Schoble Superior as well. So she will have a western and a fedora under the tree....Shhhhh.....don't tell her!

I can't wait to see what the Major comes up with. He tells me she can wear the hat band on the hat or as a necklace. Can't wait to see that! 100X black felt...

Anyone else get started and then bring the wife into your addiction?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
My wife loves to stylize her hair and whatnot, so hats are not real high on her list of things to wear (it would mess up her hair!).

But, I did buy her a "watchcap" and some other hat that I can't recall the name of right now that she enjoys wearing on occasion.

She does enthusiastically participate in my hat buying though. She likes to look at the ones that I am considering for purchase, likes helping me choose colors and patterns, and likes to know some of the details.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
My wife, Irène (french name...of greek origin, of course), doesn't ordinarily wear hats.

But when it's cold outside, she does once in a while don some creation of sorts (I must put a photo of that on the site!) which she bought at the Pedrera building in Barcelona, a deep turquoise blue velvet cloth affair with a pliable kind of "wire" in it, enabling this "hat" to take any number of differing shapes. Very baroque affair..:)
Her head does have exactly my (hat) size and she has been seen, not quite fully in public (around the house, in the yard, recorded in pixels), wearing one of my western hats. I think she looks real good with a hat, but ...who am I! :rolleyes:

ken100

Familiar Face
My gal

My girlfriend loves my addiction to hats, allways wears mine around the house, she looks great in hats but wont commit to buying any particular style, mine are way to big for her, she still looks great in them, Im thinking of buying her a stingy brim straw fedora to start, they are quite trendy here in Australia at the moment and I think she will feel comfortable wearing one with out the ''everyone looking at her" feeling. I'd like to see her in a silver grey or light tan safari by akurbra with a contrasting ribbon.
Ken

in the past, I've tried to get my wife into hats, wheter it's visors, ball caps, straw hats, felt hats, nothing worked.

two nights ago, I left my fed IV on the kitchen table, and instead of tossing on the couch for me to hang up, she fliped it up and wore it while she picked up...

I snapped a pic (I'll post as soon as I download it from the camera).

maybe the bug is catching...

MattJH

One Too Many
I gave my girlfriend my Christy's Foldaway because I thought it looked more feminine than masculine. Not long after, she asked for a hatbox for Christmas.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Not my wife but my 23 year old daughter. She likes the full fedora rather than the stingy brimmed "hipster" look of her contemporaries. She has a vintage Barsolino and I just bought her a Johnny Phi Lee Corral for XMAS. It helps to have a small head, and the ladies can get a lot of vintage hats if they want them.

She also liked my interest in hats right away. My wife was a little slower on that regard.

Stan

A-List Customer
Mine did

Hi,

My wife always wore straw hats while gardening. You know, the $5 grocery store specials.

I had a few decent hats for decades, all leftovers from various uncles. Eventually, they 'got gone' and I had to find a few new ones. That led me to the net where I found The Lounge and, of course, eBay.

As I was figuring things out by way of eBay hats, some of them wound up 'confiscated' by my wife. The thing is, her head is a tad smaller than mine, so when I received a hat that was too small for me to easily stretch out, it fit her.

Handy, that!

Eventually, she started 'ordering' hats in specific colors and styles. You realize, that she was ordering them from me, so I had to to the eBay legwork - and paying.

Handy, that!

This past summer, I ordered a custom-made hat for her from Art. She wanted a Burgundy fedora, and I was having trouble finding one in that color my my usual methods (eBay, here, thrift stores, etc). I forgot to tell her about it, of course. ;)

I measured her best-fitting hat and Art came thru and shipped her first custom-made hat out in time for our 10th anniversary in November. :)

So, now she's as crazy as the rest of us around here when it comes to hats.....

Later!

Stan

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I just know my wife would look great with a hat as well, but she has not yet succumbed to my reasoning. I'd borrow her mine to prove the point, but a size 62 Fed Deluxe on a size 54 head only makes the persuasion harder...

I've got as far as have her pick her favourite from the Akubra selection (Kiandra), so there's still hope! :)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I did

In my case it has been the following:

Me and my wife were both interested in headgear also prior to the great moment in our lives when we met. I have photos of her wearing nice ladies hats. I collected some berets, straw hats, camo hat etc. already years before I joined the FL.
Than during a date she told me, that she actually purchased a graphite grey fedora for her brother at a hatter and she re-directed me to there. The first custom rabbit hat made me interested in fedoras. Than came my first Montecristi purchase at Panamabob which hat was blocked by Art Fawcett.
Later other purchases followed with the aforementioned hatters and a few other blockers.
Seeing the growth I decided to share. I decided to purchase also for my wife - I bought her a nice Optimo blocked panama hat since she selects ladies hats for herself to be worn during the cold season.
The felt fedoras Art Fawcett does are definitely masculine for a lady.

I also gave away one chocolate brown rabbit fedora to my cousin-he liked it.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stan said:
Hi,

My wife always wore straw hats while gardening. You know, the $5 grocery store specials.

I had a few decent hats for decades, all leftovers from various uncles. Eventually, they 'got gone' and I had to find a few new ones. That led me to the net where I found The Lounge and, of course, eBay.

As I was figuring things out by way of eBay hats, some of them wound up 'confiscated' by my wife. The thing is, her head is a tad smaller than mine, so when I received a hat that was too small for me to easily stretch out, it fit her.

Handy, that!

Eventually, she started 'ordering' hats in specific colors and styles. You realize, that she was ordering them from me, so I had to to the eBay legwork - and paying.

Handy, that!

This past summer, I ordered a custom-made hat for her from Art. She wanted a Burgundy fedora, and I was having trouble finding one in that color my my usual methods (eBay, here, thrift stores, etc). I forgot to tell her about it, of course. ;)

I measured her best-fitting hat and Art came thru and shipped her first custom-made hat out in time for our 10th anniversary in November. :)

So, now she's as crazy as the rest of us around here when it comes to hats.....

Later!

Stan
I'd love to see what this Lid looks like.......:eusa_clap

as previously promised, my wife...
buff.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's an interesting subject, though I find that because women focus so much on their hair they tend to forsake the idea of hats nowadays. It's part of the hairdo in many cases, and if a woman doesn't do her hair she often doesn't wear a hat unless she wears it for utilitarian purposes. I collect women's hats as well as men's though the women's hats rarely see the light of day on the friends I know because they don't look quite right unless put together with an outfit. Men often (on the other hand) have hats that are pretty much utilitarian and work with many different looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80