Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK......So I'm diving in with both feet.....

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mike, You never know. The Adam is interesting. If one of the three is a keeper, you've done well.
I looked at the seller's feedback which is OK overall but the three negatives I read were very negative. Hopefully there won't be any issues there.
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

funneman

Practically Family
Nice, nice and nice.

Good to see someone else keeping the average price of fedoras down to a reasonable range.

I think the second one with the silk edge is very interesting. Might be nice to replace the ribbon to one in the same color. I agree with carter, the Adams has a lot of promise.

For your first shopping spree I'd say you did very well, :eusa_clap

And yes, Hammer, please keep us updated on the outcome.

Welcome.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
While it is hard to tell with just a single photo of each hat, my first reaction is more likely late 50's to 60's. The brim width of the 1st and last look to be quite stingy. The 2nd appears to be a homburg. The color and width of the sweatband can reveal more about the hats. At the price you got them for, one couldn't complain much.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Nothing makes a great day like a new hat (or new to your collection, anyway). Do enjoy; hope they exceed your expectations when you get them, and do post pictures for all to see.

Mike Hammer

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome!
I strongly suspect that the "Monroe" and "English Shop" are very likely store names rather than actual hat brands.
Now then.......How to clean etc......go go gadget search feature!

Mike Hammer

New in Town
They're here! They're here!

I don't think I did too bad.

First, the Monroe turned out to be.....a Monroe. A Beaver Twenty. And a 7 3/8, too, my size. Unfortunately, some mothing is present.
Monroeside.jpg

Monroe.jpg

The "English Shop" actually turned out to be one of those pesky Royal Stetsons! She left that completely out of the auction. Unfortunately, some mothing is present on this one as well. Oh, and it's another 7 3/8:D
Stetsonfront.jpg

Stetsonside.jpg

And the nicest one of all, the Adam Premiere. This is one nice lid! It's a 7 1/2, so I need to get some felt to stuff under the hatband so it fits a bit more snugly on the old noggin.
Adfamfront.jpg

Adamside.jpg

I certainly need to get some of that hat cleaning foam stuff and give the Monroe a nice cleaning, as it has some soiling/staining. The ribbons on all have some creasing from being stacked on top of one another :rage: and I'm not sure if those can be ironed/steamed back to shape or if they need to be replaced.
I'm not caring for the way Homburg style hats look on me...so the Stetson will probably either get re-bashed or sold (probably sold).
I LOVE the Adam.....I'll love it more once I get it to fit properly.
And you know? Despite the soiling and mothing, this old Monroe fits me like it's been mine forever.
All in all, not a bad haul (beginners luck, no doubt).
Your model for these photos has been on vacation all week, got up at 5AM to go shopping on Black Friday, and seems to have misplaced his razor. So don't be too hard on him; he usually looks better than this.

RBH

Bartender
Missed your first post Mike Hammer, so here is a welcome to the Lounge from me!

Nice hats, I love the Adam, looks like a real sweet fedora to me.
As to the cleaning, do a search on naptha that should help you. Also invest in a hat brush, I finally picked one up today at a local western store. They are great for keeping your hats clean.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Welcome, Mike. I agree with you, carter, RBH et al that the Adam is the pick of the pack, and definitely the best looking on you.

The style of the Adam nd how it fits your face is its strength, more than its colour. I reckon you should hunt out more hats that look like that one, but perhaps in different colours. You could try a grey, or even a grey-blue.

In any event, that brim size seems to work well, but there's never any harm in visiting a shop and trying on some different hats in front of their mirror. You might find another style you like.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome to the FL Mike Hammer. Looks like you did quite well with those 3 hats. All were larger sizes, and all look good on you too. Particularly the Adam. Well done. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24