Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Buco: does it still have any value?

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Picked this one up recently for not a lot of money. Arrived today. Doesn't fit, but I'm wondering if it still has any value on the open market. Does anyone here know approximate age? The neck fastener is from Rau Fastener Company in RI. The main zipper has been replaced, sadly.

Thanks for any advice!

20211112_112038_copy_1600x1200.jpg
20211112_112109_copy_1200x1600.jpg
20211112_112122_copy_1200x1600.jpg
20211112_112135_copy_1200x1600.jpg
20211112_112203_copy_1200x1600.jpg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I will pay good money for the right buco... Buco is one of those names that are highly recognizable. Your jacket is nice, and wearable. To me, the most significant aspect of the jacket is the size. If the jacket is in good condition, the bigger the size the more it will cost. Delightful catch!

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Thank you!

Measurements are

22.5" chest
19" shoulders
26" length
25.5" sleeves

Seems like a modern 42/44 to me?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That's really nice! The measurements look like a 42 or so to me and the longer sleeve length is desirable (and rare). Is there any lining or tags? Leather looks rather dry to me?

Might be worth shipping it to Dena to have her very carefully "re-hydrate" the leather in a way that does not loose the patina. Then once all the leather is good to go, sell it for a reasonable price. She might even be able to install a more period-correct zipper for you...

Infinitum

A-List Customer
That's really nice! The measurements look like a 42 or so to me and the longer sleeve length is desirable (and rare). Is there any lining or tags? Leather looks rather dry to me?

Might be worth shipping it to Dena to have her very carefully "re-hydrate" the leather in a way that does not loose the patina. Then once all the leather is good to go, sell it for a reasonable price. She might even be able to install a more period-correct zipper for you...

The only remnant of a tag is a nearly completely vanished/frayed white linen tag in the right chest pocket. No way to know what it was...

No lining.

Could you please share Dena's contact information with me?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
This is one of those rare cases where restoring a jacket may actually make you money if you decide to sell it.

Thank you guys.

Say I do decide to sell it, should I ask Dena to re-line it as well?

Absolutely not! In my opinion, relining it will have a tremendously negative effect on the value of the jacket. Considering the condition, wear, etc., you want to sell this as-is. Whoever buys this jacket will buy it precisely because of the condition it is in, not in spite of it. This is a collectors item, something you'd see hanging in a RRL store, available for purchase at an insane price tag.

You'll quickly sell this bad boi and for a hefty sum of money, just don't ruin it with alterations and "repairs".

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of the early horsehide J-100 were unlined. Based on the measurements you supplied this is a 44. I am with Mike, condition it, and leave it alone. It is marketable as is, the price will depend on how fast you want a return and how much effort you put into marketing. My guess is $400 - $800

If it fit I would absolutely line it. As it doesn’t, and you intend to sell, I would not. This will fetch a tidy sum. I would condition it for sure. There is absolutely no harm in preserving it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails