Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old-fashioned hiking boots

pipvh

Practically Family
Fabianos are more or less exactly what I'm looking for, but I didn't think they were still made. Do you know who sells them?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I've been giving my pair of Italian snow boots (La Robusta) some good use over the holiday period (a lot of snow here). I've had them for 40 years and they are still going strong...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I've a pair of the Merrell Wilderness boots and they are just ok - they are not leather lined which seems to be harder to find than a Norweigen welt these days. The originals were made in Italy and I do not believe this is still the case.

gore tex in boots - just a marketing gimick.

Galibier, a French boot maker, supposedly still makes the type of boots you are looking for. The popular models were the Vercor and the Super Guides (more of a mountaineering boot). These are not available in the US, but you may be able to track down a European web site from which to order. The Super Guides were the boots Clint Eastwood wore in the Eiger Sanction.

I often wonder if small scale boot makers exist in the alps which still make traditional boots but are only sold in the local area.

My next pair will be a pair of limmers, but I want to buy them in person rather than mail order. My next trip out east will score me a pair.

The Alico's from Sierra Trading post look promising.

At the end of the day fit is everything in boots, regardless of style.

I have a pair of beautiful, vintage Raichle's in my basement which are a half size too small and awaiting listing on ebay. If they fit you would have to pry these from my cold, dead feet.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, Lennon does some good boots, but they are much more traditionally British than the other boots being discussed here. I am a 'secret admirer' of their shepherd boot. A friend I go walking with in Scotland has a pair (he bought his from Hogg's) that I have borrowed on occasions when I didn't have my own boots with me.

For anyone used to 'flat' Continental soles, the sprung sole is a revelation, once you get used to it. They made my ankles bleed (shepherds must have tough ankles) but I could get accustomed to them.

Creeping Past said:
William Lennon do some good old-styles.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
Seeing the oiled wool pullover by Peter Storm in this 1970s magazine makes me wonder why companies and their products seem to go downhill over time?

Until recently Peter Storm in North America was selling durable-looking seafaring-style knitwear (not for sale in the UK). I've just checked again and...nothing.

pipvh

Practically Family
You're right about the Van Gorkums, of course, but that kind of outlay puts them in a bit of a holding pattern, behind an ex-MoD Land Rover (a case can be made for necessity); an original, wearble Irvin or an Eastman repro; taxes...

pipvh

Practically Family
Another Canadian boot - Viberg: http://www.workboot.com/hiking_hunting_boots/68_Pachena_Bay

A French boot: http://www.paraboot.com/main.asp?groupID=2&topicID=1&subtopicID=4&prodID=1

A very nice Italian boot: http://www.calzaturificiodiemme.it/ENGLISH/CACCIA_ENG/CAC_rocciavet.htm

The Paraboot might not be a functional hiking boot, but Paraboot apparently owns Galibier, so you never know.

And the Diemmes seem to be hot street fashion items. This is all quite entertaining (for me at any rate)...

Speedster

Practically Family
Meindl

There is also Meindl with their Perfekt:

Perfekt.jpg

and their Super Perfekt:

1292_0.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Excellent boots. I've used their lightweight 'desert boots' to good effect. Their shop is in Catterick - the professionals rely on them! I agree about the 'old fashioned quality' but they hardly have 'old-fashioned' styling. One could make the same comment about many of the boots in this post!

Mr. Godfrey said:
While not true vintage style, they have a more old fashion quality feel then the hight street outdoor shop range, if this helps.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/walking_factory.jsp

Regards

pipvh

Practically Family
Altbergs

People do love Altbergs, but they aren't leather-lined, unfortunately. I have to say I care less for appearance (after the first encounter with a Dartmoor bog that isn't going to matter anyway) than for leather lining and a stitched, lugged sole.

Closing in on either Crispis or Meindl Perfekts on the 'bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy