Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
I adore Basil! Not sure if he'd get a rough time in the playground though...if he attends the same school as my other son its a pretty genteel sort of playground...I am sure it would be okay-ish..

WILBUR came up recently...Wilby Wilb...Wilbo...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For a lot of the beautiful names I like, I dislike the common nicknames. For instance, I've always loved Victoria but I really don't like Vicky. Margaret I like, I don't like Peggy.

Given the fact that teachers always tried to give me nicknames throughout school to shorten my own name, I'd hate to have my child come home and tell me they want to be called by a nickname I didn't like. Kind of stupid of me, but... that's the way it is.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
British Royal names (that are old fashioned) are making a come back apparently due to interest in the younger Royals. So names such as HARRY; WILLIAM; CATHERINE (and because of the Duchess of Cambridge's sister, Phillippa}.

Boy = Crispin

Crispin Hellion Clover
aka George McFly from Back To the Future

tumblr_l8yzoqDKC31qa69y9o1_500.jpg

Str8Jacket

New in Town
Son; Adam Michael
Daughter; Katherine Krystal
Son; Sean Patrick

Mind you, I had NO say whatsoever in the naming of my first two children. But my youngest is named after one of my families earliest patriarchs and myself

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
My daughter who just turned 3 is named Marilyn Janette and baby #2 will be born this Friday. We don't know what we are having so must pick out a boy and girl name. Leaning towards Winston Jerome or Winston David for a boy. David is my husband's name and Jerome his father's. For a girl, Clara Lucille or Charlotte Lucille and call her Lucy.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I love the old names of the virtues--Faith, Hope (Lange!), Charity, etc. Not so sure about Temperance (although I love Prudence!). My own forebear was named Comfort--not such a bad name, really....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner