Old gas stations

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by hatguy1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

When do you think this Citgo station is from? I assume that it is either not very old, or it has been updated several times. The light on the left side of the building in the lower picture makes me think it is a bit older though, but I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

THe basic structure is a basic box-with-bays, which could date anywhere from the late thirties to the early sixties, although this one has more of a late-forties early-fifties feel to it. It probably has been remodeled at least once, although there were stations originally built with an upper-story apartment for the proprietor over the main station building. There was a big Socony station at the end of my childhood street that was built that way.

That little porchy thing over the office was probably an original feature. Cities Service, Citgo's predecessor sometimes used a detail like that in the fifties, but it was more commonly associated with Shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  3. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

A few more scans...

scan0150.jpg

scan0151.jpg

scan0152.jpg

Rob

4. dh66

dh66

I love 'em!

5. Ghostsoldier

I've got plenty more, dh. :)

scan0153.jpg

scan0154.jpg

scan0155.jpg

scan0156.jpg

Rob

6. dh66

dh66

I'm really diggin' the big V wing awning one.

7. Ghostsoldier

Yeah, that one was on Interstate 75 outside of Hahira, Georgia...I believe it's been torn down, now.

Rob

8. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

Well I stopped and took a photo last week while in Norfolk of the AA Brancaster Box. Kept in good condition not sure if it has a phone as I am not a member of the AA but a pleasant reminder of simpler days driving without the ease of a cell phone for breakdowns.

Brancaster Box.JPG

Brancaster box 2.JPG

9. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Apartment above the work bays? Sounds like my dream house!

10. dh66

dh66

Very cool Mr. G! But having no windows, it might be mistaken for a different kind of roadside facility.

11. 1mach1

1mach1

You ain't kidding! :p

12. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

:D Well, that's what the trees are for ;-)'. I think there is a still a police phone at Piccadilly, OR perhaps it was the Dr.

13. Ghostsoldier

scan0157.jpg

scan0158.jpg

scan0159.jpg

Rob

14. 1mach1

1mach1

Petersburg, VA

gas.jpg

15. dh66

dh66

Harv, that's a cool one. Something about it reminds me of the one in that movie "The Loveless".

2Jakes the photo of the Last Chance Texaco is a true thing of beauty. When I see stuff like that it really makes me want to hit the road!

16. dh66

dh66

Agreed! I love a road trip, period, but watching the sky change as the sun rises is icing on the cake.

17. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Unless you have a badly pitted wind shield and can't see a thing. I can remember on several occasions while coming back from California and having to pull over onto the shoulder to wait for the sun to get higher in the sky, just to be able to see where I was heading. Oh well, that was back in the 70s, so not much traffic, would walk to the side of the road and....... well refresh my self, shall we say!

18. Ghostsoldier

19. 1mach1

1mach1

I remember when you could do that, Stearmen. Now, it's a Burger King and a Holiday Inn every 15 miles, on exits that didn't exist 25 years ago.

20. 1mach1

1mach1

That's cool, 2jakes. I go through that intersection frequently. Now I'll have a better image in my mind!