Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
When do you think this Citgo station is from? I assume that it is either not very old, or it has been updated several times. The light on the left side of the building in the lower picture makes me think it is a bit older though, but I could be wrong.
IuvjlwV.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
THe basic structure is a basic box-with-bays, which could date anywhere from the late thirties to the early sixties, although this one has more of a late-forties early-fifties feel to it. It probably has been remodeled at least once, although there were stations originally built with an upper-story apartment for the proprietor over the main station building. There was a big Socony station at the end of my childhood street that was built that way.

That little porchy thing over the office was probably an original feature. Cities Service, Citgo's predecessor sometimes used a detail like that in the fifties, but it was more commonly associated with Shell.

5641380309_c67467c4de.jpg

Shell-Gas-Station.jpg

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It probably has been remodeled at least once, although there were stations originally built with an upper-story apartment for the proprietor over the main station building. There was a big Socony station at the end of my childhood street that was built that way.

Apartment above the work bays? Sounds like my dream house!

Harv, that's a cool one. Something about it reminds me of the one in that movie "The Loveless".

2Jakes the photo of the Last Chance Texaco is a true thing of beauty. When I see stuff like that it really makes me want to hit the road!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Agreed! I love a road trip, period, but watching the sky change as the sun rises is icing on the cake.

Unless you have a badly pitted wind shield and can't see a thing. I can remember on several occasions while coming back from California and having to pull over onto the shoulder to wait for the sun to get higher in the sky, just to be able to see where I was heading. Oh well, that was back in the 70s, so not much traffic, would walk to the side of the road and....... well refresh my self, shall we say!

Unless you have a badly pitted wind shield and can't see a thing. I can remember on several occasions while coming back from California and having to pull over onto the shoulder to wait for the sun to get higher in the sky, just to be able to see where I was heading. Oh well, that was back in the 70s, so not much traffic, would walk to the side of the road and....... well refresh my self, shall we say!

I remember when you could do that, Stearmen. Now, it's a Burger King and a Holiday Inn every 15 miles, on exits that didn't exist 25 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm