Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
⇧ Lizziepedia trumps Wikipedia once again. Good show - thank you.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree on this one pal.:D
Wikipedia is doing a grand job!
;)

Wikipedia.png

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I recently had a discussion with a younger fellow who thought he should purchase a 3/4 ton diesel pickup since he and his wife had purchased a relatively small camper. He struggled to believe that people had towed such things behind the family sedan and that his current 1/2 ton pickup was more than equal to the task. The boys from marketing never sleep.

You should read some of the comments here regarding a proper tow rig.

He's doing a poor job of hiding behind that tree as I can see most of that outstanding woodie wagon.

Also, how much cooler would this place look with a big green dinosaur on the roof of the gas station (just saying).

What do you think is going on with the modern architecture - those five bold angular thingies (that's a technical architecture term) - off to the left of the building in the background and that don't fit in with anything else in this picture? They look like they're from a set of the original "Star Trek" TV show when they visit a city on another planet.

It's a faux-wood Willys.

"Though painted to look like woodies, these models were the first post-war wagons to wear all-steel bodywork."

47-Willys-3.jpg

Well now, that's disappointing. I'm surprised I haven't stumbled across these before or maybe I have and just don't remember them.

To be fair, it looks better than the idea of it sounds and it had to be a heck of a lot easier to maintain than the real thing, but still, a woodie wagon needs wood.

Thanks for the education.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Well now, that's disappointing. I'm surprised I haven't stumbled across these before or maybe I have and just don't remember them.

To be fair, it looks better than the idea of it sounds and it had to be a heck of a lot easier to maintain than the real thing, but still, a woodie wagon needs wood.

Thanks for the education.

Being that a woodie-wagon was out of
my league (price-wise) in my yute when
I was in the "I can't live without one" mode, I bought a Willys real cheap.

That it had a bucket on the rear seat with
a hose instead of a gas tank or no title,
didn't matter.

With my dad trailing behind, I managed to sputter home with it and parked it behind the garage.

My folks are now gone. The house is up
for sale.
Who ever buys the house will have the pleasure of owning a '50s faux-wood Willys that is slightly buried in the ground
with brush all-around!
And it still needs a gas tank & title! :(

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Griff Rhys Jones is a British actor/comic/broadcaster, he is currently appearing on TV, in a highly watchable series of programs called: A Slow Train Through Africa. He stops here and there to paint a picture of the past. This comes to light in a most illuminating way in the town of Matjiesfontein in South Afria. The whole place looks like it's been preserved in aspic. You have just got to see the garage where fuel is sold. Do the South Africans call it gas or petrol? No matter, just look at this fabulous place:
shell-matjiesfontein.jpg
shell-petrol.jpg
shell-sa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21