Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
abaa88ad2d864b15e97aff1be7649ecf.jpg

e2abde8a41ce11294606c4fe61ea1e73.jpg

1639b056ba25155056c2c9727aa7f90a.jpg

Rob

GHT

I'll Lock Up
197a32be3bb54c69def7fb6bd00178bf.jpg

The last photo, the one of the veteran car. The picture is obviously taken in North America because we never had Standard Oil as such, only S.O. branded as Esso.
Yet the car is right hand drive. It makes me wonder if there was any sort of ambiguity as to which side of the road motorists should keep to, in the early days of motoring.
Some sort of international agreement must have been arranged, I can't believe that every country on the entire continent of The Americas chose one side over the other, quite by chance.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Even more specific, in the Midwest in the mid-1930s, where the "Solite" brand, seen peeking out on the left-hand pump globe, was marketed. We had many Standard Oil Companies operating in their own specific territories after the original company was broken up by Federal decree in 1911 -- this is a Standard Oil of Indiana station, the company which eventually evolved into Amoco Corporation before being merged into BP.

Right-side-of-the-road driving was dominant in the US going back to colonial times, but there were some cars built with the steering configured as for left-side-of-the-road driving. The idea was that you would enter the car from the right hand side so as to avoid being hit by oncoming vehicles if the car was parked at the curb, and having the steering wheel on that side was more convenient. A vestige of this lingered into the 1940s -- most pre-WWII American cars could only be unlocked from the right-side front door, thus keeping the owner out of traffic.

US Mail trucks to this day are right-hand-drive so that the driver can stick mail into roadside RFD boxes without getting out of the vehicle in traffic.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Shell "Share-The-Road" license tag toppers.
shelltopper.JPG

3031416754_613ef0c15a_b.jpg

Shell toppers on bicycle front wheel.
SHORPY_8a15612a.jpg

Standard 26'' bicycles had no tanks.
Deluxe came with simulated motorcycle gas tank.
I was lucky to find this beauty.
1930s Aerocycle.png

1934 Schwinn AeroCycle Deluxe.
Rare bike, about 50 are
known to exist in original condition.
vzj96e.jpg

1990,@ my backyard alley.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That big electric Shell sign is on Magazine Street in Cambridge -- anyone going to Boston ought to pay it a visit. It's been there since 1933, and while the Shell station on the lot is nothing worth looking at -- 60s "ranch house" design, badly remodeled -- the sign itself is very impressive, especially after dark. You can't, as they say, miss it.

What happens when marketing has too big a budget:

"Let's see, we've done the sign, we put it on calendars, note pads and even thermos bottles - any ideas? Any? You, at the end of the table, is your hand up?"

"Um, yes, how, um, 'bout, um, we make a chair that uses the sign for the back support part?"

"That's crazy, but what the heck, we have the budget - a chair it is."

Ta-da!
2687889120_5cecca87b3.jpg

"Hey, I think it turned out pretty well."

"You're an idiot."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is very little that Shell would not cover with red and yellow paint given the opportunity, although it's just as likely that someone took one of those pressed steel lawn chairs that were popular in the forties and fifties and noticed the shell-like shape of the back and painted it themselves as a man-cave novelty. The shell-back was a common motif in such chairs for a long time.

d5170f59a0b49398ec645c422651ec4f.jpg

That said, advertising chairs were, in fact, a thing -- but they were usually of the wooden camp-chair style, with a porcelain enamel insert in the back carrying the sponsor's message.

JJM_0950.jpg

The problem with such an advertising medium is that it's only good for the job when nobody is actually using it. If the stereotype of the country-store loafer is to be believed, once you got Charlie O'Fatbutt in one of those, it'd be a long time before he got out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points