Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Standard Oil
Standard oil.jpg

Fine tuning!
elegant-auto-mechanic-padre-art.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you - she looks like a big-thumbs-up / gets-it girl.

Also, while she did dress appropriate to the work at hand*, my guess is she'd roll up whatever sleeves she was wearing if needed.

* That cap is perfect

Roll up her sleeves"? :(
Vermont is 0 degrees currently with a low of minus eleven this evening!

1a34972v.jpg

Totally agree...there's nothing as grand as a woman who will tackle the
job instead of waiting for a man.

Last edited:
Roll up her sleeves"? :(
Vermont is 0 degrees currently with a low of minus eleven this evening!

View attachment 100932
Totally agree...there's nothing as grand as a woman who will tackle the
job instead of waiting for a man.

My handyman skills are okay, but not as good as Super Girlfriend's whose mom and dad are both handymen whizzes. In our house, it's more likely to be me waiting for SGF if something is perplexing (and obstinate to my attempts at repair).

One ornery looking "face" on that car. Also, that is a lot of metal - when it has a head of steam going, you don't want to be the car that thing runs into.

This place is awesome. I assume, at the right time of year, chairs and tables show up on that deck for dining al fresco :).

And for our car guys and gals, is that a (around) '49 Buick Roadmaster parked to the right?

Gulf Gas.jpg
View attachment 100979

Here, perhaps this will help: An idealized image of the ultimate marketer of That Good Gulf Gasoline.

One, what a fantastic ad - I'm sure, if you could find it today, it's a billion dollars to buy (because everything is), but that would be a cool one to have and, two, my favorite detail is the iconic man in the suit and fedora shadowed in the foreground.

Lizzie, any details / info on what this ⇧ cool awesomeness is all about?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lizzie, any details / info on what this ⇧ cool awesomeness is all about?

Looks like a double clockface pump that's been modified. Those are not the Veeder-Root computers that everybody knows and remembers, but rather a weird aftermarket hybrid that used the mechanism from the clockface dial to drive a wheel-based display system. This was a stopgap thing for companies that had laid in a big stock of clockface pumps when they came into vogue in the early thirties, only to have them overtaken by the Veeder-Root digital displays that took the industry by storm in 1934.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy