Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
In the south, this is Bensin to us. :)
1ed1f7c4816ea9e2646dfa1ab45a8853.jpg

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Late to the game on this, but in the US, benzene is a component of gasoline that was used in the Era as a fortifier/antiknock agent instead of tetraethyl lead by a few companies, notably Amoco -- which constantly boasted of its "non poisonous" fuels -- and Sunoco, which for many years sold only the lead-free "Blue Sunoco" brand. In both cases the use of benzene instead of lead was as much out of a desire not to be beholden to Standard Oil of New Jersey, which controlled the ethyl patents, as it was to protect the health of consumers.

The unfortunate joker in the deck for these companies was that benzene is not non-poisonous, and it tends to linger in the soil for a long time after it's leaked out of underground tanks. Groundwater near former Amoco or Sunoco stations is very likely to be contaminated and unusable.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As commissioner of Fedora Lounge, I would like to announce that according
to wikipedia...
FDA will continue its testing program for benzene in soft drinks and other beverages to monitor levels and will inform the public and manufacturers as new data become available. FDA first became aware that benzene was present in some soft drinks in 1990 .
A Belgian study found that plastic packaging plays an important role in the formation of benzene in soft drinks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy