Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Anybody know anything about this pic?

I stumbled across it, but it didn't have a source or artist credited. Also, the handy dandy image search on Google didn't reveal any information either (other than that it is very popular on Pinterest).

dc7fab11547363ef4dd38560d17f6059.jpg

The artist is Witold Gordon. Did a lot of covers for The New Yorker.

witold-gordon-june-1-1946-new-yorker-cover.jpg

Thank you so much. Just spent a little time looking at his incredible work - awesome stuff. Quite the first name he has.

Pinterest really mucks up Google search results, especially the reverse image search. You can exclude one version of Pinterest, but the foreign versions just fill in. It's very frustrating, to say the least.

Amen.

Been away from the site for a bit, doing honey-do stuff...now, back to the regularly scheduled programming. :)

fece5a57880cc29387860f435dd63071.jpg

82afd26e3324bae4d76b058e89e5cab5.jpg

Rob

How cool must Terrible Terry's sign look lit up at night?

Anyone know what is hanging off the sideview mirror on the red and white wagon (looks like a sign of some kind)?

Also, is that a factory or custom two-tone paint job on the same wagon - looks of bit off to my eye to be factory, but that's just a pure guess?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Been away from the site for a bit, doing honey-do stuff...now, back to the regularly scheduled programming. :)
. . .

82afd26e3324bae4d76b058e89e5cab5.jpg

Rob
Something about this says Arizona or New Mexico ca. 1959 -- that silver-blue/white wagon reflected in the nearer cafe window is probably a '58 Chevy, and the design of the cafe sign suggests the mythical Hopi/Zuni character Kokopelli.

The bag hanging from the red Ford wagon's mirror looks like it's embroidered with some "Indian" design. Could be a handbag, or a water bag, either way. Though I thought the deal was to put the water bag in front of the grill, so the air rushing into the engine compartment as you drove would cool the water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points