Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Mystery car from 1937 ! ;)
40E0D3D4-7424-4540-A8F3-E8B6DB1E24C6.jpeg

"The Pause That Refreshes!"
063B5BAD-D6DC-4C7C-9880-9A7B8A52B226.jpeg

"Yer darn tootin' !"
53DDBA0A-3172-426C-B39B-1B8418202679.jpeg

183A9279-AB3B-4F77-AA72-C88FFCB3B03A.jpeg

44425175-8BDD-44DB-A300-A1BE257B631C.jpeg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Bet it felt like the place was going to fall down around you inside that station in a wind storm.

About the only time I've felt like the place was going to fall down was in a
Los Angeles camera & jewelry dept.
store.
I experienced a tremblor or templor.
Not sure of the correct wording.
Was told by the locals that it was a minor
thing caused by the faults underneath
the city.
I was meaning to move out of this area,
this made up my mind... pronto! :(

About the only time I've felt like the place was going to fall down was in a
Los Angeles camera & jewelry dept.
store.
I experienced a tremblor or templor.
Not sure of the correct wording.
Was told by the locals that it was a minor
thing caused by the faults underneath
the city.
I was meaning to move out of this area,
this made up my mind... pronto! :(

I was on the 31st floor of a modern skyscraper - but to be fair, it was a trading floor which has a "raised" floor (basically, they actually do "raise" the floor about 8 inches to run all the wiring for the extra screens, phone lines, etc. for the trading desks and then lay heavy metal planks over supports to create the "new" higher floor) - so when a tremor hit from an earthquake (one state away!), it felt like you were surfing as you could feel the floor panels going up and down in waves. I believe the raised floor might have exaggerated that effect, but whatever, not comfortable to feel a building wobbling when you're more than 300 feet off the ground.

Afterwards, we were assured it was always safe - and I guess it was as (1) it was a new building built to all the latest codes, etc., (blah, blah, blah) and (2) well, it's still standing, but that was one uncomfortable feeling. And there's always this - if it wasn't safe and fell down, many, myself included, would be dead and they'd up the standards for the next building. It is what it is - it's all safe / not safe - it's life.

The building:
10.jpg

What first went through my mind was
the feeling that no matter where I went
was not safe and the whole place was
going to cave in at any moment.

(I tend to get overly dramatic) :(

I know when there's nothing to do and that was a there's-nothing-to-do moment: you're either going to die or not. The fast "out" of that building with the elevators working is over five minutes and I doubt they run during an earthquake. My personal feelings are I'm okay with dying, I just don't want to be broken beyond repair; so oddly, I don't freak out in those situations as the binary result - dead or fine - doesn't make me as nervous as dead or severely / irreparably injured.

I've thought about doing something like this with the station we own (and currently rent to a used car dealer) -- call it Tamale Station or something. Put keypad/voice menus in the pumps and have it be a drive through thing. Your order brought out by someone dressed in vintage gas station uniforms. Might even clean your windshield...

Then I realize that I'm nearing retirement and this sounds like a lot of work. :rolleyes:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've thought about doing something like this with the station we own (and currently rent to a used car dealer) -- call it Tamale Station or something. Put keypad/voice menus in the pumps and have it be a drive through thing. Your order brought out by someone dressed in vintage gas station uniforms. Might even clean your windshield...

Then I realize that I'm nearing retirement and this sounds like a lot of work. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a young man with similar ideas.
He created a "malt shop" with juke box and fountain diner.
I ordered a chocolate malt.
One swallow is all I could take.
In the course of the conversation with the owner, I mentioned the way a malt
was made back in the '50s.
He replied...."that sounds like a lot of work!" :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points