Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
f48a583f9aec24b2f3abd145fb6132b2.jpg

Rob

Rob, I noticed the Mobilgas pegasus and
found this on the web.

"A major makeover was done in the 1930s by the commercial illustrator Robert “Rex” Elmer. Not only was it given a cleaner and more graphic appearance, but the horse now flew from left to right, as opposed to from right to left."

FE747572-1BFE-4BE8-B57C-1E2E0959EDF7.gif

412577D1-A51F-4E42-8257-3A47A1FAFF39.jpeg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Rob, I noticed the Mobilgas pegasus and
found this on the web.

"A major makeover was done in the 1930s by the commercial illustrator Robert “Rex” Elmer. Not only was it given a cleaner and more graphic appearance, but the horse now flew from left to right, as opposed to from right to left."

View attachment 107435
View attachment 107443
I never noticed that the horse changed direction... I just thought the image was reversed, lol.

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There were multiple versions of the Flying Red Horse, depending on the layout of the station. The FRH was always to be mounted facing the station office, so if the office was at the right, the FRH would face right -- as was the case on the station at the end of my street when I was little. If the office was at the left, the FRH would face left. The left-facing FRH was the primary trademark used on the "shield" signs of the 1930s and 1940s, but when the company began emphasizing oblong-box stations after the war, the multiple versions appear. The left-facing Horse also appeared on the modernized shield used from 1956-65.

There were also multiple-facing Horses for use on cutout/rooftop signs so as to preserve the illusion of three dimensions.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
danser12.gif NICE!
BEB01AA3-350F-4BC9-B7EF-E31863E0E80C.jpeg

One of the most iconic Corvette designs of all time is the 1963 Split Window Corvette Coupe. 1963 was the first year for a fixed roof coupe for Corvette and it was also the only year that the rear window was separated into two. It is sought after by collectors everywhere and always generates a crowd when a special one is available for sale.
$275,000.
hill.gif

AC6C168A-711E-4499-BD74-7B839BDFFCCE.jpeg

Last edited:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
A good friend of mine, who died young in 2016 (sudden brain aneurysm at age 56), had one of these...a true barn find from Tennessee, just like you hear in the stories.

Since he owned a body shop and collected Chevrolets, he restored it perfectly.

I suppose his widow and two daughters own it now....it was gloss black, a beautiful car.

Rob

View attachment 107826 NICE!
View attachment 107817
One of the most iconic Corvette designs of all time is the 1963 Split Window Corvette Coupe. 1963 was the first year for a fixed roof coupe for Corvette and it was also the only year that the rear window was separated into two. It is sought after by collectors everywhere and always generates a crowd when a special one is available for sale.
$275,000.
View attachment 107829

View attachment 107819

Awesome dancing emoji - I assume you imported him from "outside" FL's system?

The first two generations of Corvette's had a singularity to them - they were muscular American sports cars. Maybe a bit of that held on into the third generation (eh, maybe), but by the fourth generation and the '80s, it was a "corporate" sports car empty of spirit and individuality. It had, sadly, become generic.

There's a simplicity to this ⇧ building that's quietly elegant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21