Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
After having viewed gas station photos from all years, and I enjoy
them all.
There's always something about the colors from a certain time.

;)
Polaroid.png

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Gilmore Self-Service Station
LIFE. Oct. 1948

One of first in LA.
49670086-A212-48D4-A569-3B7AAA2D3113.jpeg

Safety instructions to workers. Note coin-changers.

1EC9DCD4-C371-4C37-9E59-BBCE16938055.jpeg

Remember:
"Fire extinguishers are meant to handle only small fires. If a fire becomes too large or the environment
becomes too dangerous, employees should know when and how to evacuate the area."
EC4EAA32-A0C5-42CC-8B99-0AEA2A5A488B.jpeg

Hollywood Baseball Club in background.

F95759FA-BF92-4272-8087-7707DCBF0FDB.jpeg

In the background is car with running boards,
Not many folks were able to upgrade to the latest models, so I was
able to enjoy running boards as a kid when my uncle allowed me to get
on them as he pulled up to the drive-way. My grandma was not too keen on
me doing this.

Every time I see a white Ford convertible, I think of Phil Silver’s 1947 Super Deluxe.
i020264.jpg

One of my all-time favorite mad-cap comedy films.

AE19BA81-C82A-4428-831E-84252BFD6DC3.jpeg

686E4B54-A81A-4E17-89C8-2E066773099D.jpg

A3FD922A-9831-427C-A275-CC6D3AFBC7BA.jpeg

Change maker knitting during a lull at the Gilmore self-service gas station according to Life.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
3abc965ef51bc9879e5c2207e816b18f.jpg

Caption:
" Four Barrel Metal Money Coin Changer proven to be the most reliable and indispensable change maker around. Excellent for waitstaff, concessionaires, ice cream vendors, and other businesses where a high volume of change is necessary but a register may not be readily available. Tubes are constructed of nickel plated steel with a tough plastic housing. Rear slide hooks attach easily to a belt for convenient access. These coin changers were set to dispense one coin at a time from any one of the four barrels which hold various coins: 38 quarters, 37 nickels, 56 dimes and 49 pennies.” Pinterest.
goodhumor-ice-cream-man.jpg

I recall bus drivers and the ice-cream man using them.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
More Gilmore from LA
Gilmore_Aerial2.jpg

(1948)**^ – Aerial view of the area bounded by Beverly, Fairfax, 3rd Street, and
Gardner Avenue. The photo has been annotated and shows the location of Gilmore
"Self-Service" Gas Station.

Gilmore_Self_Service_1950.jpg

Although this image has been posted before. I found this:
(ca. 1948)**** - A woman pumping fuel at the Gilmore ‘Self-Service’ Gas Station (one of the nation's first)
near Fairfax and Beverly. Gilmore Field, the home of the Los Angeles Stars minor league team, is visible in
the background."
Gilmore_Service_Station.jpg

"Gilmore Self-Service Station located on the south side of Beverly Boulevard east of Fairfax Avenue.
View is looking west toward Fairfax. The Fairfax Theater sign (northwest corner of Fairfax and Beverly)
is seen above and behind the Gilmore sign.
The tower sign for Herbert’s Drive-In Restaurant (southeast corner of Fairfax and Beverly) can barely
be made out in the upper left of photo. CBS Television City would be built at this corner in 1952.”

1949_Buick.jpg

(ca. 1949) Buick Super Sedanette 1949 at the garage - Southern California's car culture.

Los Angeles
Aerial_View_of_LA_near_Plaza.jpg

Sorry...went back to the 50s....I’ll be ok! :(

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Hollywood Stars baseball team was renowned for its fashion sense.

222956740_9b733336be_b.jpg

With Walter F. O'Malley & Co. invading their territory in 1958, the Stars franchise relocated to Salt Lake City, where the wearing of shorts in public was highly frowned upon. The whole Gilmore Field neighborhood was leveled after the team left to make way for CBS Television City, where worse things than shorts were routinely worn.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The red "O" represents the Flying Red Horse. When Socony-Mobil Oil Corporation dropped Socony from its name in 1965 they had every intention of dropping or at least severely deemphasizing the Horse along with it, given that the mid-sixties were the age of the "sleek, modern wordmark" and intricate logos like the FRH were considered passe and old-fashioned-looking for companies that wanted to seem like part of the Space Age. But in a "nod to tradition" the red O was added to sort of evoke its memory.

In practice, the Horse was never entirely eliminated, but if you look at Mobil packaged products from this period you see that it's been reduced to a tiny representation on the back of the can. The public response to the change was not favorable, and plans to eliminate the logo from station buildings were brought to a fast halt, with newly constructed or renovated buildings getting a new, simplified FRH on an internally-lit white plastic disc. You could still see the old full-size, fully-detailed Horse on many older stations, though -- the one at the end of my childhood street kept it until it closed in 1970, and there were several others in my area that kept them into the early 21st Century.

The 1965 Mobil logo is a good example of the kind of bland pasteurized-process design work that the Boys promulgated in the sixties and seventies -- it expresses no personality of any kind, and seems to have been arrived at after extensive focus-grouping and psychological review intended to eliminate any aspect that might have any kind of negative connotation to anyone anywhere. But it was easily visible on a giant Interstate signpole, and it was probably cheaper to manufacture and maintain as an illuminated plastic sign than the intricately-shaped shield designs that preceded it, and no doubt that made the bean-counters happy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That one, and the old station, was torn down in 1959, to be replaced by a new station on the same site with the new Standard of Indiana torch-and-oval logo.

amoco-then.jpg

It's still there, although the face was changed in the '70s to say "Amoco," and it continued to say "Amoco" all thru Amoco's absorption by BP in the 1990s. And now the Amoco brand is returning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana