Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

455aaf558196b2d58e86279e519ea124.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The use of the caduceus by Sunoco has to be one of the weirdest trademark ideas ever. It stood for their "mercury-refined" motor oil -- since Mercury carried a caduceus -- but given that then, as now, most Americans were not all that up on their Bullfinch's, it just makes it look like the station is leasing out office space to a doctor. "The proctologist will see you now, you'll find him in the back there, behind the air compressor."

But I'm pretty sure it did inspire Doc Hudson's office in the movie Cars, so it was worthwhile in at least one respect.
Doctor_hudson_dr_of_internal_combustion.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you click on the link it will take you to the vintage car thread, scroll down in that thread and you will read my poem about owning a vintage MG. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-cars.8212/page-5

We were at an event recently called Poole Goes Vintage. Local artist Richard Watkin had a stall there, Richard has painted the MG in acrylic a couple of times, so after reading the poem he said that it prompted a reminisce of a time when an attendant fuelled your car, and that the poem had given him the germ of an idea. He's going to produce greeting cards with the poem inside. Here's his part-finished work, so far.

jessica a work in progress.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you click on the link it will take you to the vintage car thread, scroll down in that thread and you will read my poem about owning a vintage MG. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-cars.8212/page-5

We were at an event recently called Poole Goes Vintage. Local artist Richard Watkin had a stall there, Richard has painted the MG in acrylic a couple of times, so after reading the poem he said that it prompted a reminisce of a time when an attendant fuelled your car, and that the poem had given him the germ of an idea. He's going to produce greeting cards with the poem inside. Here's his part-finished work, so far.

View attachment 130129
Richard has finished the commission, this is just a quick copy taken with my phone. When I get the actual result I will share it in the vintage car thread.
mg portrait.jpg

Postcard for the folks back home! :)
F239D829-2D5A-4FDD-985F-B9D9264E4259.jpeg

Dear Mom, we're having a great time in St. Louis - wish you were here. But since you aren't, here's a picture of a local gas station where we filled up. The Arch is impressive, but that postcard cost 5 cents more - sorry. Love, Us.

WTF

Did people really send postcards of gas stations?

(Although, I will say, that's one handsome gas station.)

3fingers

One Too Many
Did people really send postcards of gas stations?
Yes. And most anything else. If you look on eBay you can buy old postcards by the thousands from businesses of every type. Another odd thing is the greetings from such and such town postcards. My little hometown must have really gone for it because there are numerous ones I have seen with pretty scenery on them. The problem is that none of the scenes pictured exist anywhere in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran