Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It is an English station I think. Car may be French. Can't see the lettering on the globes on me tiny screen to tell what company it is.
You are right, the licence plate is British, the car is a French Renault.
Did people really send postcards of gas stations?
Here in the UK, postcards were big business, they depict practically every scenario you can think of.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's interesting to me about the Big Sign station is that in its original form it screamed "Spanish Mission." I don't know that the good Spanish friars had much of an influence in the settlement of Missouri, but nevertheless the gas-station architects of the 1930s were very much their disciples. You saw tile roofs and mock-adobe walls all over the country in the years before the Teague-type icebox designs took over. The various Standard companies were heavy users of this type of design, but others got in on the act as well, especially Sinclair.

46-sinclair-station.jpg

What's interesting to me about the Big Sign station is that in its original form it screamed "Spanish Mission." I don't know that the good Spanish friars had much of an influence in the settlement of Missouri, but nevertheless the gas-station architects of the 1930s were very much their disciples. You saw tile roofs and mock-adobe walls all over the country in the years before the Teague-type icebox designs took over. The various Standard companies were heavy users of this type of design, but others got in on the act as well, especially Sinclair.

46-sinclair-station.jpg

Today, the reason you see so many companies doing the same thing in strategy and design is because
  1. In theory, there is a smart way forward; hence, most well-run companies will find it (stop laughing, it does happen that way sometimes)
  2. Companies copy other companies' success
  3. And, IMHO, this is the big one based on my years in business - large companies hire the same consultants who tell them the same thing and everybody ends up doing it with just a little tweaking so that management feels they are "adding value," to the strategy or "adapting it to our 'unique' company strengths," or blah, blah, blah
My guess, the 1930s gas-station consultants were screaming "Spanish Mission design tests off the charts with motorists" and here are reams and reams of very professional looking data to support our claim.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm...I have been using the Tapatalk app to post from my Android phone, but now it doesn't seem to allow me to log in to the FL via the app; I'm posting this from the web browser on my phone.

Tapatalk seems to be working fine with other forums I frequent, so I'm wondering if it's a FL interface issue...

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic