Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Havana is falling into ruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can always go through Mexico!

And if you ask nicely, they will leave the Cuban stamp out of your passport. Not exactly legal, but if you really want to see it before it gets Disneyfied...

CharlesB

Suspended
I just can't separate my moral and political views from the topic of cuba...
Miss 1929 said:
And if you ask nicely, they will leave the Cuban stamp out of your passport. Not exactly legal, but if you really want to see it before it gets Disneyfied...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While we have had relations with all sorts of tin horn countries over the years that didn't deserve it, Cuba has been jilted. It's the Cuban people that have suffered while we swagger about with pious cries of wanting to help them. What kind of humanitarians are we if we don't help the people because we have a nose out of joint with their government's beliefs? It doesn't stop us in African nations.

Frankly I hope Cuba would remain independent as a hold out against the tourism industry. What, the Gringos don't have enough place to lay in the sand on vacation already? Cuba doesn't need to be a brothel and gambling destination for the US which is what it will become one day when Castro's influence is gone. Big business is dying to return to 1958 and exert control once again.

We got to Cuba in 1983 through Mexico. The people we met we so well grounded it was unreal. They know they have disadvantages but make the best of things. Once thing for sure is their kids get a better education than the Republik of Kalifornia gives. People are not suffering. They were deprived of many things but they were not physically unhealthy or really unhappy relative to the US for the most part. Sure they'd like to have more money but that goes for people anywhere.

They are not a nation on Prozac like all the unhappy people in the US. People spoke unafraid about their government and other forms of government in the world. But remember, when we bust in and save them from themselves and rig up some hokey democracy, the nation has never known that from of government and it may not work for them. There are many nations that function fine without being a representative republic like the US.

It will be a sad day when American business has yet another market of virgins to exploit. Big business is drooling uncontrolably right now in anticipation of the opportunity. I mean those folks NEED I pods, cell phones, cheezy clothes and goods from China, Chia pets and all the rest of the crapola a civilized society requires. We'll put everyone to work in subservient vacation-spot jobs as the hotels and travel industry takes over.

The Cubanos will have their salaries elevated but only enough to account for the glut of toys, gadgets and assorted junk they will just have to buy. They'll end up as a people in bondage still, only to the American tourism industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany