Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Movie Influence for hat in Raiders Of The Lost Ark?

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Folks, I figure this board is probably the best place to get a question like this answered. I've brought this question over from COW to see if your particular expertise can answer it. :cool:

Knowing hats and old movies, does Indiana Jones' hat in Raiders Of The Lost Ark - specifically the tall crowned brown fedora w/ a brim warped by turning the hat - strike you as reminiscent of or influenced by an earlier movie or old serial?

Certainly the general look of a weathered adventurer in leather and a beatup hat was already there - but do the stylings of the hat look particularly like one in particular, that was possibly the look someone was trying to achieve?

Thanks for any and all suggestions - appreciated!

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not Just For Adventurers

I still say this jacket and hat are close. From Grapes of Wrath.

jacket2.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The high crown reminded me of Gary Cooper's hat in "For Whom the Bell Tolls"- but the brim on Coop's hat was pretty narrow for a late 1930's fedora.

Charlton Heston wore a wide-brimmed fedora in "Secrets of the Incas"- that could be an influence on Steven Spielberg when he was working with the costumer for "Raiders".

I'll see if I can find some decent pictures to post.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If you're real interested (translation: obsessed or somethin') check out "Secret of the Incas" because Heston dresses like the prototype for Indiana Jones and he's an archaeologist/ treasure hunter and he's in South America searching for- What's this?!!- a golden idol (well, actually a pretty dang big gold disc- think Cadillac hub cap or neck medallion for a rapper)!
And, being the intrepid soul he is, Heston wears a fedora and leather jacket!
I've read some reports that Spielberg had his crew watch "Empire" as a pre-requisite before filming began on "Raiders"- but that may be bugus.
Hope that helps ( or, at least doesn't hurt- too much)!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran