Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old School Wool Overcoat

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:

At left, here's a vintage overcoat from the '30s which is similar, though certainly not identical, to the 'Road to Perdition' one:

Overcoat.jpg
ea6186ac.jpg

Ya know, I like the vintage one over the "Road To" coat... I like the fit, early to mid 30's DB coats were very fitted! I have one from 1935 and it fits AMAZING! It's really a swell coat, I'll have to snap a few shots, it's DB, gray with a black windowpane!

=WR=

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Sefton said:
I wear about a 40 jacket. Do I wear a 42 overcoat or is a size 40 overcoat made with the assumption that you'll wear a suit underneath and sized accordingly? Thanks!

Always try the overcoat over the suit.

Overcoats are sized to fit over a suit though depending on the maker and how much shoulder the suit has you could end up with a bad fit.

So take your favorite suit with you if you are heading to the store.

In the case of online sales... well a 40 overcoat should fit over a 40 suit... though beware.

Jay

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
Ya know, I like the vintage one over the "Road To" coat... I like the fit, early to mid 30's DB coats were very fitted! I have one from 1935 and it fits AMAZING! =WR=

I learned this from hunting gear: Beware extremely close fitting coats. Not that I mind the look, I actually like it but sometimes when the cut is really close there's no room to trap the heat and they're colder than a looser coat.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Always try the overcoat over the suit.

Overcoats are sized to fit over a suit though depending on the maker and how much shoulder the suit has you could end up with a bad fit.

So take your favorite suit with you if you are heading to the store.

In the case of online sales... well a 40 overcoat should fit over a 40 suit... though beware.
Thanks!

Dad's Great Coat

Ghos7a55assin said:
I just won this on eBay yesterday:
4a_1.JPG

From the description:
"Genuine WW2 American Army Overcoat. Wonderful Heavy wool, double breasted overcoat guaranteed to keep out any cold this winter. Hard to find small size of 34R this coat comes in almost perfect condition with the only flaw being a simple to repair slight tear on one of the lapels. This coat has bundles of character with very detailed buttons, epaulets, and huge lapels, adjustable back to relax or tighten the fit of the coat and let us not forget it got through a World War! Any questions and I’ll help where I can, and all measurements are in inches. Thanks and good luck."
Dad's Great Coat from WWII. Copiague, LI, New York.
My dad had his from WWII and it hung in our garage in the warmer months then went into the trunk of the car in the cooler months as a "just in case of emergency item," along with the buckets of sand. (More weight in the back improved the traction and the sand helped of you were stuck in the snow with slipping tires.)

Anyway, it got tossed at some point but I removed the army unit patches and such first.

I liked to put the collar up, but not all the way up, with a little fold near the top. If you do that and shape it right it looks so classic!

Enjoy the coat! It is a real piece of history.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Here's a recent photo of my 1950s grey-blue German military coat I go on ebay.com for 20$. I replaced the brass buttons with with oxblood leather ones and now the coat looks much more civilian:

SORRY! WRONG PIC!

Regards,
Henrik

Sox

New in Town
Picked this up recently from the UK on Ebay. It is about 20 years old. I liked it because it looks older.
coat1

coat2

coat3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats