Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoats, Trenches, etc.

griffer

Practically Family
For your consideration,

I have been a grey, blue and black man most of my life.

But, I got a great new/old brown hat, a couple pairs of brown shoes I actually like, and I have been looking at earthier suits.

Problem- what overcoat should i get? I have a black wool and a black trench, but I need an earth tone solution.

Brooke's has a passable copy of the Burberry Mac (sans gun flap), and you can get the actual Burberry on eBay, but sadly, despit the pictures of Bogart, my wife doesn't like me in light colors (i am a pale, not ruddy, blond).

So where does that leave me?

Best option so far is this coat, and it looks to have a very thick hand, if the lapel stiches are any indication. Reminds me of the Road to Perdition coat.

06T2L6PB_lg.jpg

Any suggestions? Does anyone make a calssic trench in a darker shade? An olive with a camel hair lapel?

Oh, and the Ben silver is out for both cost and color. ;-)

Feraud

Bartender
I have seen darker trench coats but the overcoat shown above is excellent!
If I did not just buy a new (vintage) overcoat I would be seriously interested in this one.

griffer

Practically Family
Repost

For My Pop's Closet, since PM is not enabled.

Second breakfast, second christmas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got yours yet?

Mine is IMMINENT! or is it EMINENT?

Curious about fit.

Feels like Christmas in February.

I just got a box of Guyaberas and linen pants from Penner's, soon my Indy jacket, and my Orvis double breasted top coat should arrive today.

Yippee!

griffer

Practically Family
Got mine last night.

I have to say I am very dissappointed.

The proportions, to me, are all wrong. The eight buttons and lower visual waist line, make the coat appear to be feminine.

I like the back belt, but the sleeves are very strange. Low arm holes, but narrow sleeves meant that everytime i moved my arms the whole coat lifts up.

The material is fantastic, the cuffs and lapel lines are nice. Interior finish is also very well done, it just saddens me that this coat came so close, and then missed by so much.

I guess that's why it was so cheap, but Orvis really needs to change the web site photo.

griffer

Practically Family
not from me.

mine is packed back in the box. i might try a smaller size, but i have an email out to orvis to ask what the heck is going on.

for your consideration, i did a simple cut and paste, it is not an actual photo, but it illustrates my frustration with the proportions. Everything just seemed to low.

coats.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree that six would be better. The six button is a nice looking coat.

Quality overcoats are so plentifully cheap at thrift stores and on ebay I'd be hard pressed to buy one new.

I would also add, that while I completely support buying another overcoat (perhaps try a camel polo?), I think you can wear your grey coat with earthtones (hat, suits, shoes) with no problem whatsoever.

Sorry the Orvis didn't work out. It's always disappointing when that happens.

griffer

Practically Family
I cried. A lot.

But then I snuggled my favorite corduroy jacket while my wife made me some warm milk.

I actually don't have a grey coat. Oh well, there are worse things than going shopping.

As for thrift stores, out in the country, I don't have much selection.

Sigh. My life is soooo hard. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What do you bet the 2 lower buttons were added after some young smart aleck said, "The front's gonna blow open and flap." Well duh, sonny. It's been that way for generations. Go wear a parka, why don't you. :mad:

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Salvation army

Does anyone make a calssic trench in a darker shade? An olive with a camel hair lapel?

I purchased an olive "London Fog" trench 2 weeks ago, sorry but no camel hair. On sale that day, paid $7.50 So they're out there.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of camel hair

Jos.A.Bank has these for half price. Most sizes still in stock.
6041e.jpg

Full whack polo style (aka British Warmer) with the button halfbelt, sleeve cuffs and patch pockets.
I just got one and am enjoying it greatly.
Advise a Long size if you're much over 5'10" or prefer a long coat.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
Mine Arrived Today

After the earlier posts, I was expecting to be extremely disappointed. I really didn't like the looks of the 8 button coat in Griff's picture. When I opened the box today, I was astonished to find that my coat had the correct 6 buttons, as pictured on the web site. With the exception of the light weight of the coat, I'm very pleased with it. I love the peaked lapels, the patch pockets, the sleeve cuffs, and the halfbelt on the back.

Griff: It sounds like My Pop's Closet is happy with his 8 button coat, but maybe you can exchange yours for a 6 button coat. It's strange that there are 8 button coats in the same batch as the 6 button coats (and I find the very existence of the 8 button coats rather odd).

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Protocol Indy jacket fits when it arrives later this week!

griffer

Practically Family
The D.A. said:
After the earlier posts, I was expecting to be extremely disappointed. I really didn't like the looks of the 8 button coat in Griff's picture. When I opened the box today, I was astonished to find that my coat had the correct 6 buttons, as pictured on the web site. With the exception of the light weight of the coat, I'm very pleased with it. I love the peaked lapels, the patch pockets, the sleeve cuffs, and the halfbelt on the back.

Griff: It sounds like My Pop's Closet is happy with his 8 button coat, but maybe you can exchange yours for a 6 button coat. It's strange that there are 8 button coats in the same batch as the 6 button coats (and I find the very existence of the 8 button coats rather odd).

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Protocol Indy jacket fits when it arrives later this week!

The Indy jacket is PERFECT, just not my size. My only disappointment was that I am between 44 and 46 in size...

What size Orvis coat did you order?

The D.A.

Familiar Face
I got the Orvis coat in a size large. I'm 5'11" and a 44 regular and it fits perfectly. The sleeve length is spot on and the bottom of the coat falls well below my knees.

griffer

Practically Family
The D.A. said:
I got the Orvis coat in a size large. I'm 5'11" and a 44 regular and it fits perfectly. The sleeve length is spot on and the bottom of the coat falls well below my knees.

I had a pet theory that they added the extra buttons and lengthened the cut when they went from Large to Extra Large. Maybe that's the case and I can still salvage this fiasco...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy