Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oldest US hatter steps down

Mark Elliott

New in Town
Idaho’s Randy Priest is 79 years old, and the oldest active hatmaker in the country today. I learned this week, however, that due to failing health his days as a hatter are over, but that his shop - the SILVER TIP HAT CO.-will pass to a younger hatter. Here is the bio that I wrote on Randy for my book on hats (The Brim and the Crown):

Hatter Randy Priest began working on hats – building them, restoring them, selling them – before most contemporary hatters were even born. The recipient of a Governor’s Award for Excellence in Folk & Traditional Hats, Priest began in the late 1950’s by buying second-hand and pawn shop hats for a dollar and reconditioning them and selling them “off his head”. These days, he works a five-day week on his back-order of beaver felt Westerns, and is only now thinking of retirement. His says his customers are ranchers, working cowboys, and “city people”.

Idaho’s Randy Priest is 79 years old, and the oldest active hatmaker in the country today. I learned this week, however, that due to failing health his days as a hatter are over, but that his shop - the SILVER TIP HAT CO.-will pass to a younger hatter. Here is the bio that I wrote on Randy for my book on hats (The Brim and the Crown):

Hatter Randy Priest began working on hats – building them, restoring them, selling them – before most contemporary hatters were even born. The recipient of a Governor’s Award for Excellence in Folk & Traditional Hats, Priest began in the late 1950’s by buying second-hand and pawn shop hats for a dollar and reconditioning them and selling them “off his head”. These days, he works a five-day week on his back-order of beaver felt Westerns, and is only now thinking of retirement. His says his customers are ranchers, working cowboys, and “city people”.

Tip of the hat to Mr. Priest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points