Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olney Hats

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Any experience or evaluation of this U.K. hatmaker?

No firsthand experience, but from what I've read around here (Boaters Faction) their Boater is a low-price alternative to the vintage Boaters, although the quality seems cheap compared to the olden goldies. Ok, not a fair trial.
Other styles (Panamas and felts) I don't know; doesn't look like much.

Edward

Bartender
I have one of their boaters - perfectly happy with it. Compares very favourably to my vintage Dunn. Definitely worth paying for over the next priceband down, where they're all floppy, soft straws and not really true boaters (imo a true boater has to be stiff). Wouldn't want to spent serious money, though, on what is quite a fragile hat if you want to take it out and use it (I try very hard not to need to remove mine when I am wearing it, as it's never going to survive being sat on). I think I've had a couple of caps from them too, which were very nice.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll let you know...

crushable_trilby_hat_olney_olive_hats.jpg

crushable_trilby_hat_olney_olive_tails.jpg

crushable_trilby_hat_olney_olive.jpg

crushable_trilby_hat_olney_olive_sable_black_1.jpg

Olney crushable fur felt fedora, 2.5" brim w/ a 5.25" crown. $70 USD to my door... oh boy! :D

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Their toppers and bowlers are overpriced crap, can't speak to the rest of their hats but I can't imagine they're much better.

Rick Blaine

...yeah

Hmm, hopefully it soon popped back into shape.

I have it on a #52 block & w/ a bit of steam, it'll be right as rain.
These dopes sent it internationally in a flimsy, unreinforced box, as thin as tissue, absolutely unsuited to shipping next door, much less INTERNATIONALLY! Failure. Unprofessional in the extreme. :mad: 'arf 'arsed as one might say. :eek:hwell:

Nice looking lid, Monsieur Blaine, at a very reasonable price.

My thought as well, I dunno if I would trust these jokers to ship anything rigid (Bowler) or fragile (Panama)- both would've been totaled! :tsk:

Their toppers and bowlers are overpriced crap, can't speak to the rest of their hats but I can't imagine they're much better.

Yes, quite right. :twitch: It seems ...Spartan, basic, no nonsense, eh? That said, I think it'll be a great travel fur felt. I already like it better than The Akubra Traveller or the (new) Borsalino "rain proof line" crusher. Though not as much as my Lagomarsino that went to China w/ me.
And I like the looks & feel of my new (previously unknown, NOS '9o's?) Stetson fur felt folder, pretty but as yet untested in the field.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I don think they manufacture any of their felts. The hat looks to me like a Tonak hat made for them.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
I've got a couple of Olney titfers mate!

They're Newsboy herring-bone tweed caps mind, but I'm well chuffed with them! :D

Rick Blaine

Rick... how does the crown height look?
Your posted photos make it look pretty nice.
I just wonder what you think.

Really spot-on 5.25". A centre dent is needed to maximize the height, IMO.
The relatively thin ribbon helps on that account too.
Once I put some steam to it, I'll post some pix.

So far, so good. I am considering one in sage. I like it.
The brim is dimensional, btw 2 7/8" front & back & 2 1/2" on the sides. Nice swoop!

Warden

One Too Many
Just purchased an Olney Boater and must say I am very happy with it. Good and stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran