Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On cloud nine in a 1940 fighter plane...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got to sit in the cockpit of this Battle of Britain veteran 2 days ago down at the Shuttleworth Collection (near Bedford, UK). I just happend to be wearing my Irvin sheepskin and got chatting to the mechanic who was getting this beaut ready to fly at shows..etc. He asked "Fancy a sit in her," to which I replied, "Is the Pope really Catholic?!" A great experience, but no, I didn't get to pilot her :-(
But sitting in her was enough, how often does a young man like me get to sit in the lap of a silver screen goddess like Miss Hurricane!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mr Irvin flies back in time...

If you have the chance, go to the Shuttleworth Collection, the hangers and grass strip are right out of the 30's..it's a lovely time warp!!

Tally-ho Red Leada!!

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Paddy, you jammy sod, how do you manage to talk your way into these places? Must be the old Irish charm! Nip round to the Smithsonian, I bet they'd let you sit in 'Enola Gay'! :) BTW, did you get my Email with the address? I couldn't PM you (too many messages in your PM inbox!), and I have two Email addresses for you-I sent one, not sure if it got there!

MikeyB17

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Truely a special experience in the 1940 RAF Hurricane

The mechanic was explaining to me (as I salivated all over the cockpit, yuck!) that the wings are metal, but the tail structure behind the cockpit is fabric. The stick, is the 'ring' style, with a button on the ring for firing the weapons.
I'm pretty sure they have a Sopwith PuP or a Sopwith Camel in the collection too. Now one of those, I'd love to sit in, with my white silk scarf and barnstormer jacket!! chocks away chaps.

I just love this old airfield as it is something locked in the 30s. The old grass airstrip and the hangers with De Haviland painted on them! A must for any vintage aviation enthusiast. They also have a few motorbikes and cars from the 20s and 30s.

Jake

One of the Regulars
old airfields

Sounds like my favorite kind of airport. Back here in the U.S., I like to fly to smaller rural grass airstrips and imagine that I'm flying from a strip somewhere in the U.K. back in WWII. You get to visit the actual sites, how cool. I am fortunate however, in that I live only 25 min. by air from a place called Oskosh. Ouite the airplane heaven in late July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24