Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On fit and opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I thought I'd bring this up as there have been some heated "discussions" on jacket fit lately. For ME, I prefer to post up and get honest feedback. I ask my wife at home for the same. And what got me thinking again about this was my trip to our optometrist this AM. We've been using this place for years, and our favorite friend there is named "Kay" and is the funniest and most honest woman there. We both love her not only for her knowledge and friendship, but here's how she does her job.
I go off and grab a few frames to try. I come back and stand in front of Kay. Now mind you - the frame grabbing may have taken me an hour to find 3-4 pairs I think I like. I start donning them, one at a time.
Me: "What do you think?"Kay: "Those look ridiculous!"Me:*Repeat...same, maybe this time "I don't think so" and again...*I may do this all day and get the same answer, or I might keep looking.
She's in the business to sell us hardware and services, but she won't let me walk out with glasses she thinks aren't right. It stings for a minute - especially when I*really*like a pair. But in the end, I'd much rather have her be honest with me.
So...fellow loungers and jacket snobs. I offer you this. If you don't want opinion on what other's think, don't post pics of yourself with a jacket on here. If you just want 2¢ on a jacket, take pics of the jacket and leave it at that. I don't like getting negative feedback either, but it's better for me to sell/trade a jacket than think I look OK in it. Just me, thought I'd toss it out there. I think constructive criticism is better than blanket "you look awesome dude" replies. My 2¢, might be worth a lot less lolOf course, offering up 2¢ doesn't mean being MEAN about it. I certainly try not to.

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I agree brutal honesty is the best when people seek opinions on anything.

I like lifting weights and when the weight gets heavy (for me) 300 lbs+ I like to video myself squatting and deadlifting to ensure my form isn't breaking because you can't always notice it while you are involved in the lift, and form breaks on those lifts can put you in traction (do they do that anymore?). I'll post my form vid on a forum and ask for feedback and take whatever valid criticism there is (and people are pretty blunt and brutal about it). But some people will whine and moan about how they're doing it correctly even if their form is horrible, I never understood it. There's a difference between asking for an opinion and seeking validation, if I need validation I'll just ask my wife.

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
So, I'll bite, since I think this is directly or indirectly directed at me.

I have been a member here for a couple of years and have always liked the vibe here. People are friendly and there is a lot of useful information. If someone asks an opinion, I will usually offer it. However, on the vast majority of posts, I usually refrain from posting as I feel that they are not asking opinons on their purchase. If I think it looks great, I'll comment on it. If I think it looks terrible, I keep it to myself- unless they ask.

My sense of style is going to be different than other peoples and I understand that. What I like to wear and how I like to wear it are going to be different than you. I'm sure my style of suits, shoes, jeans, belts, etc are all different than yours. Why should I expect you to like the style of my jackets or vice-versa?

The posts which really irritated me are the one where you re-posted my pic and then ridiculed me. I understand that you thought you were attacking someone else, but it still shows a mean spirit. The other posts where you implied that I don't know my own body type was presumptuous. I don't think you ever seen me naked ;)

So why do I post pics? Just to share and hopefully give people an idea of what they do or do not want in a jacket. I really could give a hoot if people here approve/disapprove. I didn't mind your opinion on the Goodwear, but to beat your opinion in the ground is counterproductive to this forum. The value of this forum is that you can see a huge variety of jackets/coats- ones you like and ones you don't.

If someone asks an opinion, then give it. If they don't, you can offer it, but I think you should respect the poster. The example you gave above is a completely different scenario than the one here. You haven't purchased the glasses yet. Here people have already bought the item.

For the record, the only reason I posted pics on the Goodwear, is that YOU asked for pics when I mentioned it on another thread. Nowhere in that post was I asking opinions on fit. Did I know it wasn't perfect, yes.

So, I'll continue to come here once in a while, but I'm done with posting any pics.

Had nothing to do with you to be honest. You're not the first and won't be the last to get hurt over feedback. I made a mistake - I even PM'd you to apologize, and got no reply. That's fine. But it was a general post to whoever wanted to read it. I've had unkind feedback here on more than my jackets, but that's cool because m identity isn't just TFL. I've flipped no less than three jackets in as many months due to feedback. If I want some "gee you look awesome" no matter what, I'll not find it here or at home. That's what I want. I'm not going to try and convince you to do or not do anything. That event is over for me.

Here was my reply - hardly a slamfest - I've got worse.

Let's say this. The jacket is beautiful, I just don't fall into the "fashion" style of tight and short, which seems to be "in" now. My son is a model and has done a lot of work in the last six months. That's the style. Me, I'm 50 and a big guy. Doesn't work for me, although I am better now that I dumped some poundage.If you like it, and your style council approves, then it's great. Not trying to persuade you otherwise. I just posted pics of my new HWM, and it's seen as too large by at least one guy, so we're in a similar boat Enjoy it, it's a sweet jacket, and made by the best.

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I'm not hurt. Believe me, I'm a big boy. Annoyed is different than hurt.

Your post is not really a "general post", but a suggestion on where the forum should head.

"If you don't want opinion on what other's think, don't post pics of yourself with a jacket on here. If you just want 2¢ on a jacket, take pics of the jacket and leave it at that."

As I said above, this is counter productive to the forum. A lot of times, seeing the jacket on someone changes the whole perspective. If I just posted pics on the Goodwear without wearing it, you would not see how short it was or how tight fitting. Things which some people would like and others would hate.

Last edited:
I'm not hurt. Believe me, I'm a big boy. Annoyed is different than hurt.Your post is not really a "general post", but a suggestion on where the forum should head."If you don't want opinion on what other's think, don't post pics of yourself with a jacket on here. If you just want 2¢ on a jacket, take pics of the jacket and leave it at that."As I said above, this is counter productive to the forum.
How so? You post anonymously on the internet and don't expect feedback? I don't get it - why else would we do it?There are all sorts of myths perpetuated here and elsewhere about "proper A-2 (or G-1, etc.) fit" It's bunk. Showing pics and discussing is the only way to learn anything.

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
On another thread, I gave my advice to the OP and you interjected and offered this:

See, there's the thing. I see your pics, and to me, you're built like some of my friends that wrestled in high school and college. "Trim" to me is a longer, taller, thinner build. So, if I were to say to you what I'd think you'd look good in, it would not be a tight-fitting jacket. Juxtapose Jansolo, who I think fits that description - he looks good in a tighter-fitting jacket. So, to the OP - what "we" think vs what might be in other's minds can be way different.

and then this:

What helped me was to be honest and accept the criticism of others. We all want to look a certain way, and once you get over that and listen, it seems to get easier.

As I said, I'm not looking for your opinion Butte. Your sense of style (what I can see of it) is nothing like mine. Your body is nothing like mine. You wear a B3 in LA. I sold my B6, because it was too hot for Seattle. Do you see me trying to tell you that a B3 in LA is overkill? No, because it's your choice. Do I think it's overkill, absolutely. But why should you listen to me?

Truth be told, you annoy me with your presumptions.

Feraud

Bartender
This is the second recent thread that has become contentious.
Some people want brutal honesty and others just want affirmation. Different strokes for different folks.
Respect the other guy and we'll all get along just fine.

So...fellow loungers and jacket snobs. I offer you this. If you don't want opinion on what other's think, don't post pics of yourself with a jacket on here. If you just want 2¢ on a jacket, take pics of the jacket and leave it at that. I don't like getting negative feedback either, but it's better for me to sell/trade a jacket than think I look OK in it. Just me, thought I'd toss it out there. I think constructive criticism is better than blanket "you look awesome dude" replies. My 2¢, might be worth a lot less lolOf course, offering up 2¢ doesn't mean being MEAN about it. I certainly try not to.

We decline this offer. You don't tell members to not post pictures lest they come under your scrutiny.

Members are free to post pictures of themselves without feeling harassed or criticized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn