Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Where can I find one of these?
27_656.jpg

Sure would make you concentrate on keeping your balance though.

But seriously I wouldn't mind coming across an old German military bicycle. Even if it was to restore it.
fs_859094.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

jeep44

One of the Regulars
You don't have to go Axis-there is always the Allies.... Here's my wartime BSA folding paratrooper bicycle. This photo is just after I finished restoring it a few weeks ago, and I had not put the chain back on yet.

S6000684.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very well done, I like it!:eusa_clap All it needs now is a rack and some panniers. So, did it originally have pad breaks on it or was that something you added? Just curious as how long that style of break has been around.

Cheers!

Dan

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Yes, it originally had the British style of pad brakes on it,as made by BSA. These bikes were envisioned to be a way for airborne troops and commandos to advance rapidly to their objectives, and as such, are sort of a disposable bike-no panniers, or even a center stand or kickstand. No fenders,either-a very minimal bicycle. I don't have a photo, but I have a reproduction canvas bag which was designed to fit in the large center area of the frame to hold gear. There was also a backpack frame that was usually strapped to the handlebars to carry the rider's pack.

JeffOYB

Vendor
172236_jp.bike.costume.fix.sm.jpg

My "League of Extraordinary Peddlers" costume this year. I wore a huge black cape on several costume rides. But I forgot it in this pic so I lamely photoshopped it in.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
'I'm off to this early tomorrow, not the perfect time for Tweedishnes, ( Late Spring , in the Antipodes) as a fellow lounger has pointed out, but a splendid opportunity to meet fellow T.T's'

tweedrun.jpg

It will involve taking the Bike on a 30 Minute train trip to the Lovely Port Town of Fremantle

1992_Market_Street_Fremantle_rdax_1024x686.jpg

4848563191_00abc01e3a_b.jpg

pennyfathingaward.jpg
[/IMG]

I won the "Penny Farthing Award" Best Vintage Bicycle $200.00 Voucher for use at Mercers Bike Shop in Fremantle

Last edited:

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
bikes and cars?

Hi uys,
I'm hoping you can help me. I am in the process of restoring a '50 Morris oxford and I have a repro vintage bike that eventually I would like to take on drives to ride around the towns once I get there. How did they transport bikes in the 40's and 50's? Just your basic bike rack? I just would like it to look authentic if you know what I mean?
Thanks heaps:eusa_clap

JeffOYB

Vendor
I did a REALLY hard bike race yesterday, the Barry Roubaix, one of a recent crop of Paris Roubaix commemorative events, and a sweet one, indeed.

35 miles of mostly dirt roads and two-tracks. Dozens of huge hills. Very scenic. Western Michigan.

One THOUSAND riders entered in the event in the 3 distance options (23, 35, 65 miles).

It was 20degF, sunny and dry at the start.

I finished mid-pack on my 30-yr-old Trek 613 touring bike, in 2 hrs 14 mins. I wore vintage wool jerseys (layered) and knickers.

So...

...A little guy blazed past me and finished in 2 hrs ONE minute. He finished ahead of a HUNDRED hard-core team bike racer folks on new carbon bikes and such.

...He was wearing an army helmet, riding a one-speed with a coaster brake.

...It was an original 1922 Iver Johnson.

I vote it as coolest bike of the race.

(He works at a bike company. I found a pic of his bike online.)

iver.best.jpg

Attachments

• iver.fast.jpg
    iver.fast.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

marxalot

New in Town
I love the look of vintage bikes but could never take the sheer weight-- my father is a cycling enthusiast, and just some of his frames from the 40s and 50s were heavy enough to drive me into the arms of more modern alloys and methods. That said, the peripherals (Brooks leather saddles, proper handlebar wraps, functional clothing) from the earlier era are, to my mind, far superior to the overly technologized stuff we get these days. After all, when I go cycling, it's usually to get somewhere or to enjoy myself, not to win time trials. Some of these photos are just fantastic, and the vintage (and vintage-style) cycling gear is just the sort of thing I like. Recently even dug up a few patterns and some decent fabric with the idea of making myself a few pairs of plus-fours and a couple lightweight jerseys. The real issue with getting the genuine vintage stuff (other than cost, size, and availability, anyway...) is that it's frankly all wrong for the climate I'm in. Both my hometown of Ft Worth, TX, and my new city of Washington DC are hot and humid, and when it's 90 degrees F and 95% humidity, the last thing you want to be wearing is wool. At that point, I sacrifice authenticity for practicality. That doesn't mean I'm all lycra, though-- that stuff looks and feels awful! It's for me a nice linen shirt and roomy shorts, thank you very much.

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Grüß Di' Kameraden,

Here are a few shots of my 1936 Truppenfahrrad:

pktrfa01pt6.jpg

PK_TrFa_02.jpg

masoviatfr01gx2.jpg

masoviatfr02nj5.jpg

masoviatfr04yt6.jpg

masoviatfr05br6.jpg

Also have an original wartime set of panniers:

masoviatfr06nk0.jpg

And it always helps to have good references for proper restorations:

radfahrschwadronenvq0.jpg

bicycle07wl3.jpg

Fahrräder vor!

Patrick

semperitadas2.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Some inspirational pics.
03926u.jpg

04506u.jpg

Do any of the folks here participate in any annual Tweed Rides in their area? Any pictures to share,either as participant or spectator?

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

JeffOYB

Vendor

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very cool! Thank you for sharing those.
Apparently there is one in the Portland, OR area too. I may have to check this one out next year, but first I need to get me a vintage or at least a vintage inspired bicycle.

Cheers!

Dan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've been out (and will be in a few minutes after penning this) around Northumberland on my 1930's TRIUMPH ROADSTER (see pics). It's a true roadster bike (note the handlebars, seating..etc) and is a very comfortable ride. Three Gear (High/Neutral/Low) Sturmey Archer config. Front and back lights have been rigged to a dynamo (think the back light is a later addition from 50/60's). Lovely leather Lycett saddle. Working in 'excellent' condition and has just been dismantled by an engineer and put together again with any needed work done. I'm training (and have been for several months to date) for a planned cycle ride I'm intending to do next year (My personality is wired to plan, prepare and train well in advance - and this challenge of mine requires a lot of physical training and logistical planning). Part of the challenge is doing it on a period appropriate bike (3 gears will be tough in parts) and *possibly* period gear too, though on modern roads I just *cannot* forgo a helmet, knowing from experience that it is a life saver.
So the bike training has now moved from the modern hybrid over to the 1930's challenge bike.
Am currently looking at some period'ish bags for the bike, such as Carradice or Brookes (not cheap). But have an old Barbour jacket and canvas gas mask bag which may be *transformed*
See!! the Devil makes work for idle hands like mine!!

DSCN9298-1.jpg

DSCN9303.jpg

DSCN9301.jpg

DSCN9300.jpg

DSCN9304.jpg

DSCN9299.jpg

DSCN9292.jpg

DSCN9291.jpg

DSCN9293.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*NOTE*

For the 'eagle eyed' (I *know* you're out there!), the old rubber handlebar grips have been replaced with more modern gell, because long distance it would be a killer - really! also I'm looking at taking the original pedals off (just for the challenge) and popping on metal toe clips which I find is more energy efficient and keeps the feet 'on' when getting tired or it's wet.

*BIKE DETAILING - Is just amazing, little flip tops lead to inner reservoirs where you can pour your oil and it keeps the machinery well lubricated. Don't get that with my modern MTB, RACER, HYBRID..etc. It's the 'little' touches I love about these old bikes.

*ADVICE* Am after period correct load carrier for the back (a rack) - where?
I'll probably open up (if someone doesn't beat me to it) another thread on locating VINTAGE CYCLE WEAR & ACCESSORIES, as I'm after things from a brass bell to trouser clips, to wet weather gear to saddle bags.

ALSO - best vintage bike forums on the WWW to get further information and help? - Thanks Chaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider