Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thankyou 'all,' there have been some lovely offers of help and advice on this restoration.

With the mudguards off for cleaning, I took her out for a spin today under a sweltering English sun - lovely stuff!

I've just got a Lucas Bell for her. Other items on my 'to do' list are:

* Amber walled tyres (in that hard 26 and 1 1/4 size) Help!! please.
* Leather handlebar tape (cheapest is Brooks right now at Edinburgh Bike Shop of all places!! but still 'pricey!!').
* Respray (Cellulose Paint in Brit Racing Green - probably. Found a guy who will spray it for free, it's his profession and a friend of a friend thing! I just pay for the paints).
* Decals/Transfers - the head mount decal is so worn all I can make out is the SAXON word, but nothing else! any 'online pics' of 1938/39 Saxons, have a very different one with crossed swords - a puzzle to me right now).

P1040754.jpg

P1040752.jpg

P1040757.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
If you're looking to keep it 'period' correct I'd stay away from leather tape it was never really used BITD, the ones fitted look pretty good else there was/is some vintage grey barrel shaped ones on the bay recently for around a fiver IIRC?

Here you go I knew I'd seen them somewhere http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-S...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20c440bc58

If you're concerned about wear on the bars then you could get them powder coated as black celluloid covered bars was de rigeur in the 30's.

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
* The handlebars and tape...Well my dilemma is that I could do with something softer on the upper handlebars as I tend to change my riding position from holding the lower celluloid bars (in the crouched race position) to easing my body into a more erect position and resting my hands on the upper bars (hence the need for something like the leather tape would be handy, in easing the pressure on hands/wrists.

As for the celluloid on the bars (see photos attached from a 20's bike), I suppose the Powder Coating (PC) would be the closest I could get to 'that' look now, but the original (ivory coloured) celluloid on the handlebar grips is in good nick, but would just break if I tried to get them off now and obviously I want to keep it. So 'that' kind of precludes the PC option.
**(But - that celluloid looks very like old rubber hosing..etc, it's sometimes good to think outside the box in facing little problems/hurdles).

From a practical 'riders' point of view, the leather tape 'I felt' was most sympathetic way of doing it (plus it covers up the tatty chrome - as 'again' I cannot get them rechromed due to the orginal celluloid grips). If I was to go down the leather tape route, then the 'black' sounds like the better blend for the 30's bike (though my 'fashonista' side tells me - "the honey looks great!"). But - I do listen to what you Gents are feeding/reflecting back to me and you have some very valid ideas about preserving the original 'look' the this old girl.

"I know guys" - I'm like a problem school kid here!!

'ANOTHER OPTION' is to have the original celluloid taped off on the bars and get the bars 'sprayed' black (??? - thoughts ???). But I am leaning to 'the tape' as it would make it easier for me on long rides - Again, "any feedback" on your aesthetic of practical thoughts 'welcomed' (don't hold back please - as I need to get this right from the start).

Just been to the Auto Store discussing paint options on the bike (the original livery came in blue/red/black/green.
My leanings are towards the black or a dark British Racing Green in cellulose paint. Reasons are: I have no colour swatches/photos of what 'red' might have been used. I would imagine it's the wine/maroon colour that was common in cars of that era. Blue also has too many possibilities. But black and green I can basically 'get narrowed down.' Plus *I think* the Brit Race Green would look pretty fabulous against the brown saddle, the ivory celluloid handle grips and the white mudguards.

BICYCLECELLULOIDCOVERS.jpg

BICYCLECELLULOIDCOVER1924.jpg

BICYCLECELLULOID21924.jpg

bicyclerudgeCELULOIDCOVERS.jpg

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Billy, your Inbox needed clearing so I'll post it here)

Thanks Billy for the link on the tape. I'd previously looked at that company and the small print says it's 'looks like leather.' Reviews are pretty damning of the product too, being overly 'thin' - sadly, as the price was right. Brooks at over £30 best price (Edinburgh Bicycle Shop), is costly...but, I might not have an option and if I get several years out of it then on a yearly basis it works out ok.
We'll see, Jury's still out. But again, thanks for the efforts on my behalf.

Regards, Paddy.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
there is another option, you could tape the whole bar in cloth 1" webbing tape, this was being used as early as the 20's on the continent and over here not long after you can buy it ready glued but often it is thin and also pretty short.much better to get 1" webbing tape from the haberdashery by the metre, you then cleran and dry your bars fix it on by smearing the bars with copydex or similar...secure the ends using old wine(Iprefer champagne) corks then let it dry and then 'paint' it with a water based acrylic woodstain/varnish(They used to use shallac )...I've done this loads of times and it looks good stays put and wears well.for extra padding just put a strip or two under the area you want it and tape over it.http://velo-orange.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/shellac-and-bar-tape-guide.html

By the way you don't really need to but it's nice to secure the end nearest the stem with some light brown packing string again then you 'paint' over it.
I'll take some pictures of one I did earlier when I dig it out of one of the bike sheds this weekend.

Another nice site with good images http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/handlebars

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some GREAT RESOURCES there Gents.

Well I've just bought the herringbone cotton tape 1" in black.
Now trying to find the Shellac flakes and the 'right' kind of alcohol to mix it with (without any water in it). Most of the reports I've read on this treatment for the handlebars are very positive.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I used Ronseal water based acrylic dark oak stain all in one varnish Paddy, it gives the same results is far easier to use dries quickly and is very hard wearing, the colour is quite light but builds up coat by coat...I did some black tape same as yours and after 3 coats they were a nice dark brown roughly the samer colour of a well aged Brooks saddle

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'll hit my DIY store tomorrow then as I've been scouring the Hardware stores of Newcastle today (there's an Edinburgh Bicycle Shop in 'Byker' of all places!) for Shellac and mostly getting 'blank' looks ("Howay Man! Shellac Flakes? is that summit like a breakfast cereal..?"). So Ronseal sounds like the business!!
Bought 5 metres of the herringbone weave tape at a market today and was just trying out the wrapping. Will have to get some glue (any advice? like a white card glue from an art shop / WH Smiths...?).
The 'link' that you gave me on the sellac'ing..etc, suggests super glue at the ends to glue the ends down, rather than taping them down. What do you think...?

P1040775.jpg

P1040776.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
After work this evening, went for a 15 miler before Dinner as it was just gorgeous weather. I'm lucky to have a nature reserve very close to me called Druridge Bay (the British Cavalry during WW1 used to practice their charges on the sands as it's 7 miles of beach end-to-end). So I had a pedal down there. A really nice way to wind down after a full day (plus it allows me to assess the bike and note things that will have to be resolved).
P1040765.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Copydex or similar Paddy, tape it on as per articles then if the ends curls secure with any adhesive tape or better still packing string/twine ...let it dry for 48 hrs then varnish it with 3 coats leaving a few hours between coats..it's old school so chill have a beer (or two) then stick another coat on... the tape will drink it in so don't worry too much...as they say down here " it'll be rayt"

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Paddy,
As for decals, you might want to look up the member JRRestore on Bikeforums.net-on the Classic and Vintage subforum. A lot of people on there sing his praises. I have never personally had any work done by him, but many on there have, and they are a great bunch of people to learn from.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
there is another option, you could tape the whole bar in cloth 1" webbing tape, this was being used as early as the 20's on the continent and over here not long after you can buy it ready glued but often it is thin and also pretty short.much better to get 1" webbing tape from the haberdashery by the metre, you then cleran and dry your bars fix it on by smearing the bars with copydex or similar...secure the ends using old wine(Iprefer champagne) corks then let it dry and then 'paint' it with a water based acrylic woodstain/varnish(They used to use shallac )...I've done this loads of times and it looks good stays put and wears well.for extra padding just put a strip or two under the area you want it and tape over it.http://velo-orange.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/shellac-and-bar-tape-guide.html

By the way you don't really need to but it's nice to secure the end nearest the stem with some light brown packing string again then you 'paint' over it.
I'll take some pictures of one I did earlier when I dig it out of one of the bike sheds this weekend.

Another nice site with good images http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/handlebars
Thanks Esteban, you came to my rescue! I have a 1912 Indian Boardtrack racer, and in all the pictures I can find they were using cloth tape. There are no references to it, but it is defiantly what you describe. Makes sense, since they were still more bicycle then motorcycle complete with pedals, even if they were doing over 100mph!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Took the advice offered 'in here' and got myself two Champagne Corks as plugs for my handlebars! Used waterbased wood stain on them (which I'm currently using on my tape for the handlebars - pics of those come later). See pics.

P1040787.jpg

P1040786.jpg

P1040782.jpg

P1040781.jpg

P1040780.jpg

P1040779.jpg

P1040777.jpg

P1040791.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now currently working on taping the handlebars and then putting the Ronseal over it (and tying off the ends with string, as suggested here).

P1040813-1.jpg

P1040812.jpg

P1040811.jpg

P1040802.jpg

P1040799.jpg

P1040795.jpg

P1040814.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Looking good Paddy, more coats will make it browner and tougher, it's a case of getting it just right to your tastes...once you've done it a few times you'll know how you like it.
It's one of the bike related jobs I enjoy the most as for me anyway it's quite relaxing, I like to see the scabby old bars transorfmed into somethingh clean(ish) and new...BITD racers in the TDF etc generally hads their bars re taped before each event as it gave them that new bike placebo feeling I am told.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well...it will be some time before I do this one again! I think the stained string looks ok (?). How might I finish off the tape ends towards the handlebar grips?
Yes - a few more coats once I return from Glasgow.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Well...it will be some time before I do this one again! I think the stained string looks ok (?). How might I finish off the tape ends towards the handlebar grips?
Yes - a few more coats once I return from Glasgow.

generally you d remove the grips and do the whole of the bars...as you ve left yours on you could just finish with string again. I tend to use the non hairy packing string as opposed to the garden type it just looks neater to my eye... I ve just ordered some 38mm tape and will do a pair from start to finish with photos soon to be honest Paddy you seem to have got the hang of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider