Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just to 'add' to these wonderful vintage cycling photos whizzing in from our members around the world...
VETERAN'S CYCLE CLUB in England - The ride (Today) was around the Matfen area of Western Northumberland on the Scottish Borders (English side).

P1050647.jpg

P1050642.jpg

P1050641.jpg

P1050627.jpg

P1050626.jpg

P1050625.jpg

P1050616.jpg

P1050611.jpg

P1050608.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The sidecar is an original 30's Westonian. Ian, the owner, has been bringing it back to roadworthy condition again, and there is a tonneau in maroon leatherette to go over it as a rain protector. Also, the metal will be painted in 'cream' (think MG colours of cream and maroon) and then the appropriate transfers will be applied to the livery.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
You are making seriously consider renewing my VCC membership Paddy! I really need to find the time from somewhere to make it worthwhile though. I loved the boneshaker journal, but for me it was the rides I enjoyed most, the social side of the club.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Mike,

Do it, I joined, and I went on the Boulogne rally (Which, the journey back to Calais was the hardest cycle ride I have ever done, it must have been a force 10, and all headwind. Downhill I could only get into second gear!!)

I am always happy to go to a do if you want, I always like to know at least someone there ;-)

Cheers

Ben

DonnaP

Familiar Face
This is my 1950's JC Higgins Colorflow

colorflow.jpg

My husband found it at a garage sale a few years ago. I have to admit, I was a bit of shrew initially, we were on a very tight budget and he spent rather a bit for us at the time, and even more afterward because it needed brakes but I do love it. Since the picture was taking he raised the handlebars which helped so much, regular bikes are murder on my old lady back. Although I feel a little bit as though the music from The Wizard of Oz, when Miss Gulch is taking away Toto, should be playing. It's really too big for me, I'm not quite 5" tall, but since it's a girl's bike I can jump on it. I'm used to boys' bikes where I needed to wheel up next to the curb to get on. It's heavy as well, I think whatever mileage I ride should be doubled as a result. I recently got a basket for the handlebars, I want to get panniers for the back wheel and then I should be set for grocery shopping or trips to the library.

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
I signed up to be a part of the Toronto Tweed Ride this fall and was wondering if any other members go out for it. I gave my bicycle a bit of a tune up and bought a lock for it so I feel much better about riding the bike knowing it will most likely still be there when I get back.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I wouldn't take vintage-like or modern bike, so I come to a decision restore real vintage bicycle for everyday riding, there's plenty of them everywhere and no one wants them here. This is wartime (circa 1942) tourist model CZ 2/V. Work still not finished on it, but here's some pictures as inspiration for the others. Front light should arrive within a week.
http://photobucket.com/CSZ
0979243001341835583.jpg

Here's some raw translation:

Bicycle has become the most popular means of transport today. On the picture is a new model of bicycle CZ, which has all the advantages that the most discerning
riders can demand from the normal travel bicycles. It is the wedge center with the original radial SKF bearings. From other news pleasurable it should be
appointed: top tube of diameter 26 mm, special flat upper struts of rear fork and rear ending so called "switchers"(?). Sabres on the front fork
with slitted endings also with "switchers". The chain is "Favorit" CZ 1/2X1/s. Handlebars so called "medical" from quality
steel pipes of diameter 26 mm. And many other small novelties. It is made for both ladies and for men. Conscientious service for riders is
the best advertising for the brand CZ, which has really good sound and remarkable expansion.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I wouldn't take vintage-like or modern bike, so I come to a decision restore real vintage bicycle for everyday riding, there's plenty of them everywhere and no one wants them here. This is wartime (circa 1942) tourist model CZ 2/V. Work still not finished on it, but here's some pictures as inspiration for the others. Front light should arrive within a week.
http://photobucket.com/CSZ
0979243001341835583.jpg

Here's some raw translation:

Bicycle has become the most popular means of transport today. On the picture is a new model of bicycle CZ, which has all the advantages that the most discerning
riders can demand from the normal travel bicycles. It is the wedge center with the original radial SKF bearings. From other news pleasurable it should be
appointed: top tube of diameter 26 mm, special flat upper struts of rear fork and rear ending so called "switchers"(?). Sabres on the front fork
with slitted endings also with "switchers". The chain is "Favorit" CZ 1/2X1/s. Handlebars so called "medical" from quality
steel pipes of diameter 26 mm. And many other small novelties. It is made for both ladies and for men. Conscientious service for riders is
the best advertising for the brand CZ, which has really good sound and remarkable expansion.

That is a beautiful machine. It's exciting to think how you're going to bring it back from the dead and get it all shiny and ready to ride! Please keep us posted with photos as you go along, especially the finished product!

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Oh, it's not mine! That picture on the link is just an example of how it should look like. Yesterday I bought some carrier and allegedly
functional dynamo. Last part that is missing is the front brake. Maybe I will also put some chain cover someday. Here are some night shots. I should move the light to the left side.
Until German occupation there was left side traffic here, just like in the UK nowadays.

DSCN5999.jpg

DSCN5995.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Awwww Mike - I'm liking that Raleigh with the dropped handlebars!! I've just renewed my membership for the VCC!

I've been up in Scotland looking at two bikes a chap is selling. A 1936 Sunbeam Roadster (if I go for this, then my 50's Triumph which is in excellent nick will have to go) and a ..wait for it...1910 Road Racer with dropped handlebars, fixed wheel. But he's asking a 'wee' bit too much for them, for the condition (he wants what he paid for them five years ago..well the market ain't the same!). Plus, I'm just wondering, how practical to ride the 1910 on modern roads and going up hills..etc (as I'd be using it on a regular basis).

Mike1973

A-List Customer
The 1910 sounds like a scorcher! I don't think an old fixie will be much different to what most young hipsters are racing around on these days. What's it got in the brake department? Probably one of those blocks that presses down on the front tyre? I think it would be an awkward daily rider, but you'd soon get used to it. If you said you were after an Ordinary then that would be be slightly more tricky for a daily ... ;-)
I used my old BSA fixie for a winter a couple of years ago. Took a week to get used to it, and a scary week at that! But once my legs got used to not stopping peddling to coast downhill it was fine.
The 36 roadster sounds nice. Sunbeam made lovely bikes, superb quality. But roadsters don't do much for me, I prefer more sporty machines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo