Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oops! Did that just come out of my mouth?!

Folly

One of the Regulars
Demmed nuisance is one of my absolute favourites!

I often refer to things as simply ghastly or simply hideous, much to my husband's amusement. It isn't as if they are unknown words, just unused.

I think I knew had been reading too many George MacDonald Fraser novels, when in a car I exclaimed, "Damn his eyes!" to the driver of another car, who was being obnoxious, hehe!

Sunny

One Too Many
I've unconsciously picked up a lot from listening to Old Time Radio!

I just realized that "louse" has completely replaced "jerk" in my internal vocabulary. Like when I'm talking back to the people in the radio shows... "You're a real louse, y'know that?" :eek: Or when driving.

A few others I use now:

lousy
swell (often ironically - "Oh, that's just swell!")
bully
gee whiz
blast
darlin' (perhaps this is Texan)
good night

I'm also having a lot of fun with old definitions to certain words. Like "stiff" and "tight" and "loaded." lol

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) no one has reacted to what I say, or write. (I use plenty on my blog and commenting on others'.) Yet.

griffer

Practically Family
Now do you use "lousy" in the sense that something is bad, or do you use "lousy" in the sense the something or someplace is infested.

"What a lousy chap, that Bunfriditch MacLeod!"

"Why I tell you the apartment was just lousy with rats!"

Or maybe you just mean full of licey goodness.

atomicfabulous

New in Town
Rosie said:
I've taken to saying fidilee dee (is that how it's spelled? [huh] ) after watching Gone With the Wind one too many times. Another thing I say, though not very vintage that usually crack people up, instead of Oh Poo (the "dirty" version) I say Oh, oh Sheila, like that old song: (Oh, oh Sheila, let me love you to the morning dawns).

My mother in law says "fiddlesticks," it cracks me up! I like "darling" as a pet name, for men and women, I never hear anyone use darling, not even to describe something cute...

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I have a friend who uses the expression "What in the name of Sam Hill...?", but I'm not sure if this is old-fashioned so much as it is "country".[huh]

DocBob345

Familiar Face
When in a real pickle, I find it wise to simply quote Yosemite Sam. You know, "galoot", "durned", "sahr-sper-illy" and the like. But being a gentleman, I stay away from "rooten-est tooten-est". Call me old-fashioned.

Best,
Robert

Rosie

One Too Many
atomicfabulous said:
My mother in law says "fiddlesticks," it cracks me up! I like "darling" as a pet name, for men and women, I never hear anyone use darling, not even to describe something cute...

I've been known of a few ocassions to say fiddlesticks.

I say copecetic (spelling?) but not very often.

I LOVE gee willickers though I never use it. I've watched many an episode of Leave it to Beaver, which I don't like very much because of their use of ther term. I know, I'm nutzoid. :p

I do use darling. I didn't realize that was vintage-y.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"Ain't that just darlin'?"

I use "Copacetic" ....nobody now knows what it means. I remember it from the '70's. Didn't Kojak say that a lot?

"Who loves ya, baby"

Weston

A-List Customer
I've been told that all my language is out of date! :) I'm only 28. I'm a fan of "Holy Mackarel" among others. "Crimeney" if I'm annoyed. The eternal "Good grief" is also popular, though I tend towards "Good gravy!" if the situation is advanced (this one has caught on among others here at seminary).

My all-time favorite thing to say to those making disparaging remarks is "Hey, no comments from the Peanut Gallery!". I said this to a seminarian friend at my pastors house, and they had no idea what I was saying, but my pastor laughed. ;)

Sunny

One Too Many
griffer said:
Now do you use "lousy" in the sense that something is bad, or do you use "lousy" in the sense the something or someplace is infested.

"What a lousy chap, that Bunfriditch MacLeod!"

"Why I tell you the apartment was just lousy with rats!"

Or maybe you just mean full of licey goodness.
HAH! I use it just as a pejorative. I've never had occasion to use it for real. Thank goodness!

Here's one that I use, gotten from my mother and grandmother: "whopper-jawed," describing something that is crooked or out of whack or alignment. I never realized it was unusual until it threw some college friends for a loop. When I tried googling it I realized I'd never even spelled it. Even with different spellings I didn't have any hits. Has anyone else even heard it?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"Whop-jawed" is common here.

"Now you're cookin' with gas"...I use that and always figured it used to be in some kind of advertising slogan...kinda like "how are you fixed for blades?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot