Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So, after I posted about my disappointing experience with my 'Premiere' Stratoliner in the SF mist, Mr. Deckard reached out to me after having seen the pictures I posted earlier. As noted earlier in the thread, apparently the first run of the black Premiere Stratoliners was made with the incorrect felt that should have been made into the regular, pre-creased version. Having seen that mine had the incorrect "Royal Stetson" designation, he sent me a PM and kindly offered me a replacement hat.

My new, really Premiere Stratoliner arrived this week!

So just wanted to give a public shout out and thank you to Mr. Deckard and the folks at Hatco for going above and beyond!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Very cool, Jared!

It's great to see people working to take care of their customers. In a large-production operation like Hatco, errors are probably inevitable. But making things right is to be commended encouraged.

Don't forget to share your pics and thoughts about the new hat.

tommyK

One Too Many
tumblr_ncq2qjsreC1r91qw7o1_500.jpg
I wonder, is there any chance we get a Boss Raw edge? I don't think I'll ever find a vintage one in my size.

Or one of these?
tumblr_ncnd8yF7HA1r91qw7o1_500.jpg

Or this?
tumblr_ncqg56HDjj1r91qw7o1_500.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
I think the owners of the Stetson brand have lost the recipe. I would guess Buckaroo could do it for you.
I'm afraid i agree.

I want to give Stetson a chance to come out with some production runs of the prototypes we've been shown. I've bought 2 and am going to Delmonicos soon to see some more in person. the grey Stetsonian may tempt me.

There is so many good things about the new open crown hats; Nice shape, the pouncing gives a lovely feel, the sweatbands are top notch and very comfortable, beautiful liners. Sure the ribbon stitching is a little rough but easily remedied with your own needle and thread (this is what I did). However my biggest gripe is the felt itself. the crowns on both of mine and others I've inspected in person are both too thick and stiff. The brims don't hold a shape or snap down very well without steam. I think it has nothing to do with the age or frequent handling or shaping of vintage hats. It's precisely what You've said Alan. I think they've lost the "recipe" or process for making felts like they once did.

Hopefully with someone like Mr. Deckard there who is uniquely appreciative of vintage hats and their qualities this will improve with upcoming runs of these hats.

I think next year I'm going to try some of the great custom hatmakers showcased here on the lounge for some of these hard to find styles and colors in my size.

g.durand

One Too Many
Agree with all of the above, tommyK. I've had the same experience with the two Premiere Stratoliners I bought. As Alan said and you reiterated, the "recipe" has been lost. All those skills and manufacturing processes developed and refined over several centuries and handed down through generations of craftsmen went away almost overnight. Hatco may have the blocks, flanges and die stamps that Stetson used, but the techniques and quality control, from the type and origin of the fur all the way through the final manufacturing processes, can't compare to those of just sixty years ago.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I've bought new hats from Borsalino, Beaver Brand, and Biltmore, and Stetson. Aside from the sweatband, the Borsalino has been the best quality, and the Beaver Brand (now out of business) a close second. I want to like the Stetson, and the hats are wearable, but I''m probably not going to buy any more. The Borsalino is worth the extra money.

Tom

tommyK

One Too Many
I've bought new hats from Borsalino, Beaver Brand, and Biltmore, and Stetson. Aside from the sweatband, the Borsalino has been the best quality, and the Beaver Brand (now out of business) a close second. I want to like the Stetson, and the hats are wearable, but I''m probably not going to buy any more. The Borsalino is worth the extra money.

Tom
I agree, I think Borsalino's felt, although a little too floppy in general is a better mix of thickness, stiffness and moldability. Borso's ribbon work is also better. The cheap unreeded sweatbands they put in some of their hats is where they are lacking. The Film hats I have are reeded and made them worth the price when I bought them from Bencraft.

GregNYC

One Too Many
i just purchased a silverbelly Stratoliner from J.J.'s that came open crown. The felt, though not up to vintage standards, is significantly better than the felt on the current Open Road offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy