Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Joshbru the only hat the was sent to us was the Stratoliner in Tawny so that is the only hat I can speak to. I think I know what you are talking about with the spidering. We get it sometimes when we snap the brim and we send those back. I am getting a little on the crown when I dry creased it but no more then on my old Open Roads. The felt is not equal to Stetson 15 and up. It is Royal Deluxe felt and nice to work with, with a dry crease and then finish on the steamer. I hope this answers your question if not or you have more please ask away.

Jeff

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Some closeups of the crown for Josh.
12067ec746736c33635c0c7ffae4f372_zpsa61439ce.jpg

cb5d89edde1d9006dbc94c82b2dd8243_zps69a57bea.jpg

Jeff

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I wonder a little at the price point; for around that price or for not that much more, I can get a custom hat made to my head and the colors I want. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate the effort and I think they're the nicest new production hats I've seen!

A

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Joshbru the only hat the was sent to us was the Stratoliner in Tawny so that is the only hat I can speak to. I think I know what you are talking about with the spidering. We get it sometimes when we snap the brim and we send those back. I am getting a little on the crown when I dry creased it but no more then on my old Open Roads. The felt is not equal to Stetson 15 and up. It is Royal Deluxe felt and nice to work with, with a dry crease and then finish on the steamer. I hope this answers your question if not or you have more please ask away.

Jeff

Some closeups of the crown for Josh.
cb5d89edde1d9006dbc94c82b2dd8243_zps69a57bea.jpg

Jeff

Thanks so much for posting this info and the pictures, Jeff! That actually looks pretty decent for modern day felt. Looks very close to 1960's Stetson felt when the stiffener level was upped just a bit from the 50's. The tiny amount of spidering is actually VERY good compared to other modern day stuff I have seen. That spidering is small enough to be smoothed out by some steam and I would bet it would go right away. The color hue saturation looks to be very good as well. I have to say that I REALLY like what I am seeing thus far. What is your impressions of the sweatband and trimmings? Is the sweatband actual leather or particle faux-leather? Are the stitches on the ribbon and bow fairly neat as well?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I wonder a little at the price point; for around that price or for not that much more, I can get a custom hat made to my head and the colors I want. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate the effort and I think they're the nicest new production hats I've seen!

A

Here's my take on this.......

These hats are being made and offered in smaller runs so I can understand the slightly raised price but they are still really not out of line with Stetsons current price offerings. I LOVE custom hats and I LOVE custom hat makers........but every one except Optimo uses Winchester felt. You will not get a Optimo hat for $200, so the other hat makers will all be using Winchester felt. I am NOT at all impressed with Winchesters stuff. I think the hat makers do an incredible job with the materials, I just don't think the color saturation and felt denseness of the Winchester stuff is very good.

Stetson/HATCO makes their own felt with many of the same machines once used by the Original Stetson of Philadelphia. When I took the tour of the plant several years ago, many of the same sewing machines, blocking machines, printing machines, sweatband dies, etc were from the Original Stetson plant. That being said, the FELT in a modern Stetson hat will be different than the felt on a custom. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some absolute crap come out of Hatco, but I have also seen some pretty nice modern felt come out of them as well (usually the higher end stuff). NOTHING will bring back the original Stetson company as much as we try, but with Hatco using much of the same equipment, dye formulas, etc from the original, they have a chance to make a really "true-to-the-original" hat.

I took a look at Matt's website and saw pics of the Stetsonian. The same ones that were posted here. I noticed something that I wanted to point out......the front of the sweatband says " The Stetsonian." This is the EXACT same stamp that was used on 19teens - 1920's Stetsons. I bet Stetson still had it because on the tour we were informed that they had a good chunk of original dies from the Philadelphia plant. I think this is VERY cool. We are getting vintage elements from Stetsons golden years in a modern day hat. Yes I know, its just a sweatband stamp, but it was the amazing details that made up a good chunk of the reason that golden age hats were so neat. Also, the "Royal Deluxe Stetson" stamp was the same exact stamp that was used in the 40's/50's. The dimensions are very nice, the color saturation seems very nice, and based on the photos from Jeff, the felt seems to be very nice overall. I LOVE and collect vintage hats and know how amazing they are, but Stetson/HATCO is taking a leap of faith here and making the hats that MOST of us have been complaining they should make for YEARS now. I think if we want Stetson to continue making and developing, along with improving these vintage inspired hats, we should ALL consider buying one of these models from our favorite hatter. It would send a clear message to Stetson that WE WANT MORE. I know I will be buying a Stetsonian.

DougC

Practically Family
Josh-your comments make me wish I ordered a Stetsonian instead of the Stratoliner earlier today. Either way, yes, I'm happy with the new offerings and will wait for the new hat to arrive with lots of anticipation.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I am wearing my modern Stratoliner today so I am able to make side by side comparisons. The sweat on the RD Strat is much nicer then the one on my modern strat. The hat band is nice and even and covers the sweat stitching . Some shots of the inside
379c14a9756fdbd1537d0f095d6f505a_zpsbd270ef7.jpg

2607602467ed728f0914092e29e46c76_zpsc2d3c13e.jpg

Jeff

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Josh, thank you. I really appreciate your perspective on the matter, and what you've said makes a lot of sense to me. I originally leaned toward this new Stetsonian, then started leaning away, but you've corrected my list. :)

I love this forum. There's so much knowledge and so much camaraderie--and so many gentlemen scholars who Mae it an amazing place.

A

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I will buy one just to support the effort that Hatco is making. As this will allow newbies to be introduced to what good hats are like. They will then be interested in other hats even VS ones. :)
The better the production hats can be a on the shelves the better the market for all hats will be.

^^^^^^

Right on the money there, Ed.

At lunch today a friend posed this hypothetical scenario: If you (meaning me) were to open a bricks-and-mortar hattery, would you sell hats other than the ones you made? You know, would you carry Stetson, etc.?

Damn right I would, I replied. Better to make a smaller sale than no sale at all. Got bills to pay, you know. And besides, I know my customs would hold up quite well in a side-by-side comparison with even the best mass-produced lids. Get a guy into a truly sharp-looking hat (these new Stetsons fit the bill) and your chances of making an aficionado of him increase dramatically.

I'm quite liking what I'm seeing here. As Ed so aptly noted, the better the hats in general, the better for the industry overall.

Unlike some folks, I really got nothing against cheap, Chinese-made stingy brims. Wouldn't wear one myself, but at least getting these kids in hats with brims is better for me and my ilk than having those youngsters in baseball caps. And when they're ready for better hats, it would serve us all if they bought these new offerings from Stetson.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wow- what a cool thing. Lots of great info and I'm impressed that they're using classic dimensions and blocks! Now do I hear they're making long ovals too!? ;)

Landman

One Too Many
Jeff,

Could you post some pictures of the Stratoliner sweatband? In one of your pictures I could partially see the "Stratoliner" marking but just wanted to see the whole typeface. I'm going to buy one but I'm on the fence over whether to get a Strat or Stetsonian.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everybody's questions and post these pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes