Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open crown

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Where do I find simple molds to make open crowns of my palm leaf and fur felt hats?

I know I can use soft balls or any sort of hard round object, but where can I get reliable molds for the task?

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Thank you. I'm having trouble opening that link for some reason but will continue to try.

As far as sizing, do the molds correspond to the hat size? For example, I'm a 7 3/8; would I get a 7 3/8 hat shaper if I want to open the crown?

I just did an Atwood palm using water and a plastic kid's ball. The results were great and I like the new shape. I'll take a pic to share later.

Thank you. I'm having trouble opening that link for some reason but will continue to try.

As far as sizing, do the molds correspond to the hat size? For example, I'm a 7 3/8; would I get a 7 3/8 hat shaper if I want to open the crown?

I just did an Atwood palm using water and a plastic kid's ball. The results were great and I like the new shape. I'll take a pic to share later.

The Hat Shapers blocks do not correspond exactly with true hat sizes. There could be a size that works for you, but you’ll need to use outside circumference measurements to know.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/plastic-hat-shapers-really-work.73413/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/sourcing-hat-blocks.86228/

I tried to purchase one of their blocks yesterday. Received a reply saying they were closed due to state mandated law. They asked me to check back May 15th when the order may be lifted. I thought it pretty weird that an online company would be shut down. My wife has a very small head, apparently mostly filled with brains cuz she is def smarter than me and I have a much larger head. Thought their blocks would be an affordable alternative to the wooden ones.

Yes, if you are shaping hats with the leather sweat attached get a block that matches your head circumference. If you are dealing with just a felt then you need to work with a block at least 1/4" larger to accommodate the leather sweat band. There are ways to size up a block but I have only read about them so it remains a theory. I have watched a milliner do it by using painter's tape (frog tape) as it is easy to remove....then use a thick duct tape like extra thick Gorilla tape to make the block larger. You need to match the tape edges or the seam will show through onto the felt. By using the easy to remove painter's tape as a base all the tape can be easily removed.

I tried to purchase one of their blocks yesterday. Received a reply saying they were closed due to state mandated law. They asked me to check back May 15th when the order may be lifted. I thought it pretty weird that an online company would be shut down. My wife has a very small head, apparently mostly filled with brains cuz she is def smarter than me and I have a much larger head. Thought their blocks would be an affordable alternative to the wooden ones.

I have two of their straight-sided dome blocks that I paid extra to have them made 6” tall. I know Terry has been happy with the zero taper and overall size, but I just don’t use mine much.

I have two of their straight-sided dome blocks that I paid extra to have them made 6” tall. I know Terry has been happy with the zero taper and overall size, but I just don’t use mine much.
I contemplated buying these but the odd sized offerings was a deal breaker. They make one size that will suit my wife's head so thought it a cheaper alternative so I could practice making hats for her head.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Atwood Marfa Low Crown

I punched out the crown to give my head some room, and flattened the brim a tad.

upload_2020-4-28_20-42-40.jpeg
upload_2020-4-28_20-42-40.jpeg

Dm101

A-List Customer
Nice!!!
I did much the same on my western straw.
I couldn't believe just how wide the brim actually is!

I received an email from them and they are now accepting orders for shipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana