Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road/Shaping

therobmorgan

New in Town
New FL Friends, my name's Rob Morgan. I'm an internationally touring bassist and I just created an account here to shed light on this specific thread. Here's how the story goes...

I've been traveling and playing live for the past couple of years wearing my trusty Stetson Open Road. (From the late 60's that I found in the basement of a western shop in Minneapolis. "Silver Belly" color and smells like roadkill anytime it gets wet ;)

Because (as you pros know) this style has come back into vogue, I get asked just about every show about the hat. Because of the popularity of this forum (and this thread) over the past year, I've had 5 different instances where the person actually pulls out their phone and shows me this thread with the first post's photo and says, "This is what I'm on the hunt for." To which I reply, "Oh, that's a photo of my buddy Erik... And it's NOT A STETSON." ;-)

Erik Koskinen (https://erikkoskinen.com/) is one of the most highly regarded artists/songwriters/producers in the Midwest and I've had a blast getting to play in his band. If you're in this forum, you'll love his Americana singer-songwriter style!

The hat is a "Resistol." Extremely similar to my Open Road, but the main difference is the lack of ribbon trim on the brim. And the front dent is technically called a "mule kick"... although he'd call it, "what happens when you wear it day in and day out, throwing it around, and never worrying about how you handle it." Which is a great reminder for a forum like this... whether it's jeans, a leather jacket, boots, or a beat-up fender... all the most legit artists I've played with, who have the coolest looking kit (and I see get asked about it all the time) have the same approach:

They don't baby it... they use it!

There's nothing worse than a 5-year-old hat/jacket/guitar that looks brand new. What a waste of a story! I like my dressy and clean lids, but I LOVE the ones still holding dirt from the road.

Happy travels! And I'll see ya down the river.

-Rob

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.44.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.44.04 AM.png

One Drop

One of the Regulars
New FL Friends, my name's Rob Morgan. I'm an internationally touring bassist and I just created an account here to shed light on this specific thread. Here's how the story goes...

I've been traveling and playing live for the past couple of years wearing my trusty Stetson Open Road. (From the late 60's that I found in the basement of a western shop in Minneapolis. "Silver Belly" color and smells like roadkill anytime it gets wet ;)

Because (as you pros know) this style has come back into vogue, I get asked just about every show about the hat. Because of the popularity of this forum (and this thread) over the past year, I've had 5 different instances where the person actually pulls out their phone and shows me this thread with the first post's photo and says, "This is what I'm on the hunt for." To which I reply, "Oh, that's a photo of my buddy Erik... And it's NOT A STETSON." ;-)

Erik Koskinen (https://erikkoskinen.com/) is one of the most highly regarded artists/songwriters/producers in the Midwest and I've had a blast getting to play in his band. If you're in this forum, you'll love his Americana singer-songwriter style!

The hat is a "Resistol." Extremely similar to my Open Road, but the main difference is the lack of ribbon trim on the brim. And the front dent is technically called a "mule kick"... although he'd call it, "what happens when you wear it day in and day out, throwing it around, and never worrying about how you handle it." Which is a great reminder for a forum like this... whether it's jeans, a leather jacket, boots, or a beat-up fender... all the most legit artists I've played with, who have the coolest looking kit (and I see get asked about it all the time) have the same approach:

There's nothing worse than a 5-year-old hat/jacket/guitar that looks brand new. What a waste of a story! I like my dressy and clean lids, but I LOVE the ones still holding dirt from the road.

-Rob

View attachment 452128 View attachment 452129

Very cool, I'm a bassist as well, but it's more on the hobby level these days, until I get a new band together.

Great music, and lovely hat, just the tight amount of wear and a great crease, it's what I ended up with after trying out a pinch crease for a while, it never really looked great with the block on my '50s 7X Clear Beaver OR.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

-Rob

View attachment 452128 View attachment 452129

I did enjoy your more recent gig at the Turf Club! Cheers!

On the hat topic; Grand hat story for a truly venerable hat model.

See you on down the road, Eric -

Two Views of Truman's well known OR pinch....
1663768255835.png
1663768311620.png

AND my 7x CB OR with a modified "4 Corner".........;)
IMG_20220330_110205.jpg

AND my Twenty-Five OR also with a modified 4 corner pinch......(it is an admittedly favorite crease for me.......which the photo bombing Borsalino shows. It was actually quite popular in the 20's/30's and even seen in the early 40's for fedoras and homburgs too, which I have several of each creased). As an aside I recently acquired 3 Dobbs fedoras from the 30's, two of which were so creased when found.:)
1663770366999110697178.jpg
16637700892661592306145 2.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzsaxy123

New in Town
I bought a modern 10x OR shantung at Cavender’s and wanted to give it mule kicks. I also shaped the brim upwards on the sides to give it more of a cowboy look. I loved how it turned out! I also have an OR 6x shantung and was able to do the same thing with that one

Attachments

• 76689168-ADA3-46E0-A9F6-FCE6C7183079.jpeg
    76689168-ADA3-46E0-A9F6-FCE6C7183079.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • CD1978BB-BED0-4D74-BF00-FE06FA4A4DD4.jpeg
    CD1978BB-BED0-4D74-BF00-FE06FA4A4DD4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 8D150BBB-AB32-4053-AE73-29B3B41CFB57.jpeg
    8D150BBB-AB32-4053-AE73-29B3B41CFB57.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

Excessive Gravitas

New in Town
Hi everyone. This is my first post in the forum.

Quick question -- I'm getting a new Open Road Royal Deluxe, and I'd like to add a modest mule kick. Since it's made of much softer RD instead of the very firm 6x material, would you all recommend using steam for this, or is it doable "dry" with a bit of time and effort?

Hi everyone. This is my first post in the forum.

Quick question -- I'm getting a new Open Road Royal Deluxe, and I'd like to add a modest mule kick. Since it's made of much softer RD instead of the very firm 6x material, would you all recommend using steam for this, or is it doable "dry" with a bit of time and effort?

Like Bob said: if you have access to steam it’s the best way to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21