Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opera pumps/court shoes registration

Opera pumps:

• I use them for eveningwear

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I currently have not got any, but I would wear them

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • I am against pumps, they are feminine and obsolete

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
Hello!

On Polish dressing forum there is a lot of aversion for pumps. Everyone considers them feminine and obsolete. Some one even said that they are "shoes that only two people on the world wear" (I mentioned Charlie Huang ;) ). That is why I want to make a registration of people wearing, or "supporting", opera pumps.

Post and vote please!

Best regards, Dr

P.S. If you have already voted on Ask Andy About Clothes Forum, do not falsify the statistics! ;)

Edward

Bartender
Were they readily available at a sensible price, and somewhere that I could try them on first, I would certainly consider them for white tie. The only reservation I would have would be cause by them being 'slip-on'; I wear slippers at home, but I tend to shy away from slip-on shoes for outside wear. I find the self-styled 'alpha male' types that shriek at the sight of anything which seems to them remotely fey to be tedious in the extreme.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I only get to don evening wear for Masonic events. So I don't really have to worry about getting accosted by the unwashed masses. I love my pumps!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have them and I still don't own a white tie ensemble but I would wear them. I don't have to prove I am manly enough. Besides ppera pumps ARE for men. So maybe this guys have some other issues?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would definitely wear them with white tie, although I don't have them yet, but I don't have my formal gear either, so it is rather unimportant at the moment. I am not sure I would wear them with a dinner jacket.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a pair in calf that I sometimes wear with Black Tie, but only when the evening doesn't include dancing for which I find them inadequate. Actually, slip-ons don't make for good walking shoes either.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My interest was piqued by this thread, and I wandered over to corrosponding threads in ask andy and the style forum. I am glad I have primarily set up shop here. You all are much more polite (especially than the style forum).

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Similar to the others. I do not have them, and would like to get a pair if I could find a good fitting pair at the right price. I generally wear a plain toe oxford highly polished for white tie. Also, I generally avoid slip on shoes because I do not find them comforatable for walking.

Phileas Fogg

New in Town
Oops sorry, perhaps a double vote, one here and one on AAAC. If you are adding up count me just once please (both for option 1).
Yours,

Philease Fogg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
P.S. If you have already voted on Ask Andy About Clothes Forum, do not falsify the statistics! ;)
Over the years I've seen at least a dozen polls/threads on this subject at AAAC/SF/LL and I'd guess it was maybe 75%-25% against, with a good number of respondents considering pumps to be effeminate. While these clothing forum polls can be fun, I do question their accuracy and I certainly would't base any of my sartorial choices on their results.

WH1

Practically Family
I have them (Brooks Brothers) and wear them with black tie but definitely not if there is a considerable amount of walking or dancing. By the end of the evening my dogs bark if I wear them and have to move about a great deal.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
I don't think pumps necessarily look effeminate, but wouldn't wear them, so have gone for option 3. I think they look a lot fussier, and are therefore less elegant, than an oxford. It sounds as though they're not particularly comfortable to wear, either.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I sort of dangle between option 2 and 3. THEORETICALLY I would wear them with white tie, if it was a real big time white tie event (like if I was receiving a Nobel Prize, or being presented to the Queen. :) ). They do seem a little effeminate to me, but not prohibitively so. Maybe the better word would be sissified.
Anyhow, I do think they're cool, but would only wear then at certain types of functions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy