Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opera Shoes

Geesie

Practically Family
The only place I've seen opera shoes sold new is Brooks Brothers.

Here and there you can find low vamp, low heel men's pumps sans ribbon.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I recently bought a pair of patent leather dress oxfords made by Florsheim, on Ebay. I must say, I don't think I could quite ever bring myself to wear opera pumps. I recall seeing Fred Astaire wearing cap toe patent leather oxfords in his dance routines. If they're good enought for Fred, they're good enough for me. But I HAVE seen opera pumps worn. I'd start with Brooks Bros. if that's what you want.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
It does take a certain confidence to wear these but you can do so knowing that they truly are the most appropriate footwear for evening clothes. Patent oxfords are correct but lack the style that pumps have. Velvet slippers and even that 60s Gucci loafer look (real ones, that is) can work but never wear everyday black dress shoes. You might as well not wear the tuxedo in that case.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I was actually thinking more of these styles for wear around the house:

f01335_set

And:

f00475_set

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Opera Slipper / Shoes

L.B. Evans Radio Tyme

- I have a pair of these. THey have a hard sole and heel. Very comfortable and nice for in and out door use. Can go out to get the paper in rain and soles keep your feet dry.

Edward

Bartender
I've never much fancied opera pumps, myself. I'm well aware of their 'correctness', but, meh... I'm certainly not averse to wearing something that might be considered effeminate (I spend enough of my spare time in varying states of Rocky Horror drag for that not to be an issue...), but stylistically they hold no appeal for me. Actually, I'm even in two mind about 'proper' patent evening shoes - something in me has always perceived patent leather as looking cheap. At present, for both black and white tie I wear a pair of plain (no-toecap) black lace up shoes, buffed to a very high shine. I'm halfway tempted to bull them, though I am also considering experimenting with British officer military-issue patent shoes to see if I can get past that. Anyhoo....

Highlander said:
I was actually thinking more of these styles for wear around the house:

f01335_set

And:

f00475_set

Those look like standard leather house-slippers to me.... I should have thought any traditional menswear place could point you in the direction of something simliar, at least. I've been looking at these also on eBay, where it seems there are a wide range of suppliers at various price levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran