Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Operation: 1942 Ford Staff Car.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey guys, how's it going? Well, I don't know why I haven't mentioned this yet but, it just came to me that you guys may enjoy this story and image.

Last year, a friend of mine bought a 1942 Ford four door Super Deluxe... he bought it off of ebay and it was painted as a WWII staff car... has the black out lamps and siren. The upholstery and head liner is shot and there's no door panels... the dash board retains it's original plastic trim which is warped. I believe Ford makes reproduction parts for the dash... I hope. :D

Well, this is the cool part... when he bought this car, he wanted me to be part owner... with out costing me anything... the catch was that I'd help him find places to take the car to, to get the motor running and the brakes done. The car runs great now, it just needs new glass (Most windows are cracked) and interior... oh, and the tail lights wired up and to get the rest of the car's lights working. Also, the dash board instruments need to be fixed. He had a new gas tank put on it as well so, that's taken care of.

Here's a photo of the ol' girl... she's missing some outer trim on the hood but, that's not too hard to find since it's a Ford.

1942fordstaffoj7.jpg

He's planning to have it all done so we can drive up to Egal Field next year... that will be a great time! Show up in the '42 staff car all dressed in our Pinks and Greens!!!

Got to love the Army Air Forces!

=WR=

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Root...

A thought just occurred to me... What would you think if we made this a FL project car? Took up a collection to help you guys fix it up with the idea that we could (somehow) "borrow" it for photo shoots... What say you? I'd certainly be willing to throw something into the kitty! -- Col. Z.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, that's a very nice idea to raise money to help with the restoration... however, I may want to pitch it to my friend... because this car is more his then mine but, I'll talk to him about it and see what happens... but, any one is welcome to help me get Jenny ('46 P-15) painted :D I did start a "Jenny Fund" on Myspace... have had a few donations... all donations are welcome! She makes for great photo shoots too ya know ;)

The cool thing about this '42 is, all we need to do is the interior and glass... that's pretty much it aside from the head and tail lights.

I'll keep ya all posted on this.

=WR=

Story

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Well, this is the cool part... when he bought this car, he wanted me to be part owner... with out costing me anything... the catch was that I'd help him find places to take the car to, to get the motor running and the brakes done.
=WR=

Watch out, Root, especially if he starts collecting all the bits and pieces to a period Colonel's uniform and encourages you to kit out as a Corporal. Sounds like you're doomed to be his driver. :p

PS: Needs a siren. Definately a siren. Gotta get the Colonel to the O-Club on time!!!

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
What the???

Oh MAN!!!! NICE, who? Well I'll email ya.:eek:

I GOTTA GET OUT THERE!!!!!!! What about painting Jenny OD and making her a staff car untill you get enough saved for the real paint job. I could do it in November with about 5 cans of spray paint. I'd even work on the body a bit for ya... come on it'll be FUN! She'd be a post war/occupation era staff car. STILL a great Idea... heck, I'd do it!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'm not sure there friend... it would be cool but, I don't think White Walls would work well with OD green... hahahahaha. But, I'd take ya up on the body work :D I may even find a can of blue paint that comes close to matching the original blue just to cover up the bondo. lol till I can paint her proper.

The staff car is fun, I'm not real crazy for Ford's but, a '42 Ford isn't too bad.;)

=WR=

Hondo

One Too Many
Egal Field

Wow That’s great, is Egal Field near Southern California? Do give a heads up notice and I’d like to visit, and bring my photographer buddy along since he lives down that area and when you bring the car, you might have a ‘tin can’ for donations, nothing wrong with that.
You got some great friends WildRoot, nice story, thanks :eusa_clap

Mr. Nantucket

Suspended
bob drake reproductions should have just about all of the parts you will need for the restoration. they are ford authorized due to the quality & fit of their parts. also check dennis carpenter. they repop alot of parts also.

Mr. Nantucket

Suspended
yep, both have sites. i'll post links when i get home this evening. also, 42 models are pretty rare, due to the fact that they were only produced a few months before the war started. alot of the trim other than grille & maybe some dash parts will be the same as the 46-48 post war cars. if you can't find it for a 42, always check the 46-48 & you will find what you need most of the time.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, the '46 to '48 models are the same body style and the trim is most likely the same. The dash board parts are pretty much the same but; the '42 models had plastic and not too much chrome. I hope the plastic is being reproduced... The '42's are pretty rare as you said... pretty much any make's '42 models are for the reason you mentioned. I like the grill on the '42's over the '41's my self.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic