Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OPINION: Did Hats Direct Cheapen the Fed?

Ryan

Familiar Face
I call!

rrog said:
I don't know about the costs or anything like that, but if y'all keep talking about the Fed IV, I'm going to buy one. I really mean it. I will. And don't even think about trying to call my bluff on this. I'm already on the edge...!

rrog

Lets get this over with...I call!

lrwalton

New in Town
My humble opinion... based on 2 Fed IV Deluxes

I've wor Akubra's, Stetsons and Resistols for more than 35 years since my first good cowboy hat in High School in Colorado. I now live in Australia and exclusively wear Akubras.

I do NOT believe the Fed IV is a cheapened down version based on the Akubra Imperial Quality felt of the standard. The felt is consistent with the quality of all other Imperial grade Akubras. The Fed IV Deluxe - I own 2, one Brown and one Moonstone, are an order of magnitude better than the standard. The felt is the next best thing to Beaver (given that is rabbit) based on my experience with Beaver hats in the US. The feel is slightly different between the two based on different lots but both are great.

The lambskin band of the Deluxe is again, significantly better in feel than the standard Akubra band.

In terms of the brim... the Fed IV has a dimensional cut on the brim which would actually be slightly more expensive....

So there is my humble opinion!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
lrwalton said:
I've wor Akubra's, Stetsons and Resistols for more than 35 years since my first good cowboy hat in High School in Colorado. I now live in Australia and exclusively wear Akubras.

I do NOT believe the Fed IV is a cheapened down version based on the Akubra Imperial Quality felt of the standard. The felt is consistent with the quality of all other Imperial grade Akubras. The Fed IV Deluxe - I own 2, one Brown and one Moonstone, are an order of magnitude better than the standard. The felt is the next best thing to Beaver (given that is rabbit) based on my experience with Beaver hats in the US. The feel is slightly different between the two based on different lots but both are great.

The lambskin band of the Deluxe is again, significantly better in feel than the standard Akubra band.

In terms of the brim... the Fed IV has a dimensional cut on the brim which would actually be slightly more expensive....

So there is my humble opinion!

We need more newby blokes like you to put the old codger Loungers straight! Welcome to our nightmare!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Irwalton, Excellent initial post. Welcome aboard.

It's always nice to welcome a new member from OZ! As an Akubra afficianado, you should be able to shed light on some of our questions and, hopefully, keep us abreast of developments and trends down under.

HATCO

Vendor
If they are changing the crown height they have either bought new molds which can cost a lot of money, or they are using molds from the past. There is very very minimal to no savings in shortening the crown or brim. You are talking pennies if anything.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
...cross this line!

How about now?!? :eusa_doh:

And welcome to the lounge Irwalton.

rrog

Go ahead, r. Your line is crossed. Your bluff is called. Let's see what you got. lol lol lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
HATCO said:
If they are changing the crown height they have either bought new molds which can cost a lot of money, or they are using molds from the past. There is very very minimal to no savings in shortening the crown or brim. You are talking pennies if anything.
Ron at HatsDirect has stated previously that Akubra is using blocks from the past for the Federation IV line. HATCO is a representative oof HATCO, an Akubra competitor. I very much appreciate the fact that he does not choose to bash the competition. ;) :)

Frankly, I'm confused that anyone continues to think Akubra has cheapened their product since:
A representative from HATCO states that using older blocks would show very very minimal to no savings.
Members from OZ state that Akubra isn't cheapening the product.
The company says they haven't cheapened the product.
Many folks are very pleased/raving about the hat.

It's fine to state that you just don't like the hat or that you're not happy with the one you received. Say so and be done with it.

Otherwise you're just :deadhorse

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here's the TRUE STORY of How It Went Down.

indycop said:
But Carter there has to be a conspiracy theory!lol Was there a lone felter or 2?:D
We return you to scenes of yesteryear....

[We open on a scene in the Australian Outback hot, dry, dusty and still. A dust cloud approaches and suddenly...]

Emerging from the Outback in a cloud of dust, we see....
The Lone Felter and....his trusted Aboriginal sidekick Platywampus.

Accompanied by the haunting strains of a didgeridoo, they dismount from their Camels and enter a nearby Station. As they enter, the barkeep notes that Platywampus is limping.

The Lone Felter: "We're looking for a koala."

Barkeep: "We're fresh out. How 'bout Hare of the Dingo?"

Platywampus: "Him no good. Big Belly Lapin much better."

Barkeep: "Have it your way. What happened to yer foot?"

Platywampus: "Roo."

Lone Felter: "Yeh, he'll rue the day he tried to get Belly Fur from that Big Mama Kangaroo. A left, a right, a kick, and a stomp and it was all over."

Barkeep: "OMG! This will be the death knell of the long-hair Kangaroo hat.

Lone Felter: "I fear that you speak the truth. It seems we must be relegated to easier prey. Henceforth, we will seek fur produced only by the short hares.

Narrator... And that my friends was the end of the Kangaroo Fur Hat. Since that fateful day, Akubra has made their hats from rabbit fur in homage to the courage of one magnificent Mama Kangaroo.

[the music swells and then dies as we fade to black]

rrog

A-List Customer
BobC said:
Go ahead, r. Your line is crossed. Your bluff is called. Let's see what you got. lol lol lol

You bunch of trouble makers! The proverbial face has been slapped and the line in the sand has been crossed. I guess there's only one thing left to do. Much as I hate to. It will be awful. But here goes...

(typing: www.hatsdirect.com...)

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
A guy can only be pushed so far. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. So I took the plunge. I ordered a Fed IV in carbon grey. The checkout message said they'd be in touch with me tomorrow to confirm the order. :)

rrog

indycop

I'll Lock Up
rrog said:
A guy can only be pushed so far. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. So I took the plunge. I ordered a Fed IV in carbon grey. The checkout message said they'd be in touch with me tomorrow to confirm the order. :)

rrog
Why stop at one?? Ship 2 at one time....:rolleyes: lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy