Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on fit and possible modification - Lewis Leathers Dominator - size 42

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, guys

Me again! Haha
I feel like I've pushed fit check posts here more than anyone... Anyway, here I come again with another purchase: a Lewis Leathers Dominator. I got this one off FB Marketplace from a guy who lives in a near town for a good price, so despite being past jacket season, I could not let it pass.
When I got it, I felt like the hem was too tight - it has 23in of pit to pit and was tapering to a 19.25in hem opening. I felt it was too constricting and was looking somewhat off, so I went full @Marc mndt on it and got the hem wet and stretched it a little. Now it is measuring 20.25in and I am much pleased with the result.
It is currently wearing like this:

20230527_203447~3.jpg
20230527_203452~3.jpg
20230527_203544~2.jpg
20230527_203801~2.jpg

The thing is, I am considering sending the jacket to Donna Howard to taper the sleeves a little, mainly in the forearm and wrists region. I feel like it would reduce a little the bulging on the elbow region. Besides, I am also considering reducing the waist circumference, to taper it to the hem circumference earlier, reducing the \ / shape trying to reach the ) (. The problem is that I don't know how much that would affect the front fit, as I feel the front is looking good.

20230527_203754~3.jpg
20230527_203550~3.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Thank y'all for your opinions

mvilla

A-List Customer
Don’t do it. That fits just like it should.
Don't overthink it. This is what a Dominator is supposed to look like.
Yeah, I mean... I don't dislike it at all, in fact, I liked the fact that it wasn't looking just like my PHWM, as I could rock something different. But then I searched Instagram and pretty much every picture I found of a Dominator was of a very slim fit, with the ) ( shape. Then I went to LL website and found this

lewis-leathers-dominator551-02.png

Which clearly show this narrowing across the waist, while mine is pretty much a straight line from chest to hem

20230527_235954.jpg

But then again, the old drawing of the "Mustang" model on their website clearly shows a jacket more similar to mine

Vintage_Dominator_551_2.png

So now I don't know if the one on their picture is the so-called tight model, that the Asian market seems to love, or if mine was just heavily customised because of the aggressive taper the previous owner required for the waist.

Anyway, now presenting everything like this, really seems like I'm overthinking stuff... Hahaha Denny kept saying the same thing to me when we were working on my PHWM "you're overthinking it".
But then again, having feedback and other people's opinions is always good

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I dunno, I'm seeing a clear V-shape to the jacket you posted. Cinch the hem in more if you want. I don't see anything wrong with the midsection really. It's just a different look.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I dunno, I'm seeing a clear V-shape to the jacket you posted. Cinch the hem in more if you want. I don't see anything wrong with the midsection really. It's just a different look.
Yeah, what I meant is that mine is a V shape, whereas the one on LL website and on most of the pictures I found online are a ) ( shape.

But I think maybe I just needed to vent it out... I'm already rethinking this

mvilla

A-List Customer
What I was in doubt is pretty much "is this wearing the way a Dominator is supposed to or is it looking off?". Basically the first 3 comments already answered to this... Haha

Aloysius

Yeah, what I meant is that mine is a V shape, whereas the one on LL website and on most of the pictures I found online are a ) ( shape.

But I think maybe I just needed to vent it out... I'm already rethinking this

The Lewis jacket above is sitting on some kind of valet stand.

Canuck's \/, )(, etc illustrations are interesting when he's comparing his own jackets across brands but imo this is yet another area in which people here overthink things to the point of self sabotage. (Measurements are the other big one.)

mvilla

A-List Customer
I think I'm just too anxious for all of this, I start to design a million things and then end up lost and confused... Anyway, I appreciate everyone's insights, as always. It's great how everyone here is open to share knowledge.

BTW, @Aloysius, just another pearl, a few months ago, when I first post on FL, in the Field Leathers thread, you mentioned LL were top tier in terms of their patterns. I completely agree with you now. This one feels like I'm wearing a hoodie or something like that... It is so freaking comfy in a way that I thought it wouldn't be possible in a leather jacket. When I first tried it and closed the deal with the dude, I didn't have any mirrors around so I was sure it was looking huge on me, because it felt so spacious. I only bought it because the price was good. When I had the chance to finally look in a mirror, I could not believe it was indeed my right size!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
551 is the UK fit. 551T is the Japanese fit. The Lewis Uk website has misleading photo. They use the 551T back photo for 551. Shocking!
IMG_0211.jpeg

551T
IMG_0212.jpeg

I think 551T is based off a completely different building block.

I also have many thoughts about converting my UK highwayman to Japanese highwayman. No follow through actions though.

in short, just keep wearing your 551. Maybe a 551T will show up and you can trade for it if you want.

mvilla

A-List Customer
551 is the UK fit. 551T is the Japanese fit. The Lewis Uk website has misleading photo. They use the 551T back photo for 551. Shocking!
View attachment 520957
551T
View attachment 520958

I also have many thoughts about converting my UK highwayman to Japanese highwayman. No follow through actions though.

in short, just keep wearing your 551. Maybe a 551T will show up and you can trade for it if you want.
Actually, I like this one... I was just wondering if it looked "right", you know? Like a Dominator is supposed to be. Now that I finally realised that the one on their website is indeed the 551T, I'm feeling much happier with my jacket. My PHWM already covers my need for a slim waist, this one covers my need for another thing (whatever that is). When it gets to my turn with Field Leathers, I can work with Greg to reach what I feel that will make more sense for me then. I just know I'll go with the Black Ponyhide then, and probably with a Mulholland back and hem. The rest I'm still figuring out.

Last edited:

mvilla

A-List Customer
View attachment 520957
551T
View attachment 520958

Looking more carefully at those pictures, I agree with you that both patterns are different. The stitching of the front panel to the back panel on the Tight one are entirely on the back of the jacket, while on the "standard" one, the stirch is on the side, almost marking the perfect halfway between the front and back of the jacket.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I think it looks good, I'd be worried about making too many alterations to it.
Yeah, changing so much is pretty much making a new jacket. As I said, I like the way it looks, so what I was looking for is kinda of the reasurance that it is indeed looking like a Dominator is supposed to look. It's hard to have a grasp of it when this is literally the first dominator I've ever seen in person

Aloysius

The Lewis Japan fit is awkwardly named. It’s actually bigger in some dimensions than the original fit.

I think you scored big-time with your Dominator. Leave it alone! Zip the sleeves if you want taper at the wrist, and cinch the straps if you want the waist tighter, but stop 2nd guessing this purchase and enjoy your beautiful jacket that fits you great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112