Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on Motorcycle Jacket Padding?

South

One of the Regulars
I rarely see padding on most of the motorcycle jackets pictured here. I'm referring to the quilted type padding on shoulders and elbows. I was kinda toying with getting a Vanson Colorado, but am now thinking about just getting the Vanson CHP.

I don't currently have a motorcyle, so my consideration is from a style viewpoint.

Does the padding/quilting have drawbacks? Any opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Colorado:
ColoradoFrontCHQ2_03.jpg

ColoradoBackCHQ2_11.jpg

CHP:
VansonCHP2_03Front.jpg

VansonCHP2_11Back.jpg

Lama

New in Town
This is of course a matter of choice. My personal opinion is that while those padded jackets look macho in pictures and have "all the bells and whistles", they honestly look rediculous on an actual person. The elbow pads are not bad at all, but the shoulder padding adds to the shoulder height and width, and make the wearer look like a goof, or like the jacket is "wearing the wearer". I feel only Lewis Leathers Aviakit jackets pull off the padded look correctly, and they simply apply well to riding a Cafe Racer motorcycle.

As far as the Vanson CHP series goes, they will be of course wonderfully constructed by Vanson with the finest quality, but they are wide and boxy, and I am not a fan of the black painted snaps and hardwear. The CHP's end up appearing like any modern "Harley" jacket in both shape and look. In the end, a big boxy jacket is like a sail on a motorcycle, moving around making your ride less enjoyable. A correctly (tight) fitting jacket will make your ride so much more enjoyable, as it will not catch wind or buffet. That being said, you could have them custom fit a CHP to your measurements.

The price point on Vanson jackets are amazing. For $600 you get what other companies charge double for. I am a huge fan of their stuff. They do offer so many other models that are less "biker bro" than the CHP type, and of course they make jackets that are over-the-top, like the Hardcore Highwayman (E). Yikes!!

Check out the Vanson C2, a very traditional jacket, with a tighter fit:

http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=dp&num=67

The Raider jacket, very cool:

http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=dp&num=70

The Dominator jacket:

http://www.vanson.jp/cart.cgi?cmd=dp&num=71

In the end if you decide on the CHP, you will have to order it anyway, so ask them to tailor it to your body measurements.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
For riding the quilting could come in handy if you go down, the more protection the better. I totalled a bike once and ripped through the leather. Now I wear the Langlitz in heavy cowhide, sort of regret not getting the quilting on my Cascade. In NJ in the summer tho its too freaking hot and humid to wear it however.

South
Your post concerning quilted padding....got me to thinking about what is normally seen here in my area...and,in fact...in other states I have ridden in where motorcycle riders gather. I have noticed many wearing traditional Brando type leather,Cafe styles,or more conservative street styles(and some with shoulder,elbow armor)...but rarely..if ever with quilted padding. I really don't know why. In a way..it seems to give the jacket a more hardcore appearance...but doesn't seem as a popular addition.
In my view...if you plan to wear it as just streetwear...I think that even quilted padding...as well as armored sections might seem a little too much...considering that you are not climbing off a MC. I'm not trying to entertain the idea that everyone who wears a MC jacket should or must be a biker...but some MC jackets built with more exclusive features pertaining to riding safety can seem a bit odd for the street. I would suggest looking around MC shops in your area and see if you can find a jacket with quilted padding to try on before you order from Vanson. Might give you some idea..even if not an exact fit.
HD

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Most modern quilted padding are in the "scene" thin leather jackets, as in padded sholders. The "old skool" jackets that were padded actually has several layers of leather for the "padding" - these days you have CE-inserts, and some jackets liners and they have places acommodating these. But some show jacket in lambskin with the quilted foam underneath... you are Artsi Nykqvist on clogs...

South

One of the Regulars
Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I've decided against the padding. The more I look at various pictures of it, it does add a lot of bulk that I don't want and seems funny for my purposes.

I was thinking about ordering the CHP, but in Vanson's dark brown. To be honest, though, I'm not looking for a real "biker" look - I don't ride a motorcycle (hope to in the future). I would much prefer a straight zipper and don't need the lapels. I also don't need zippers all over, although the CHP only has the two slash pockets.

I guess for what I'm looking for, I should order a Langlitz. I have a Crescent that is similar to an Enfield and love it. I'll order the Langlitz in a dark brown. I like some black leather jackets, but really prefer brown.

Thanks again.

ideaguy

One Too Many
motorcycle padding

well...I'm sitting home recovering from a pretty bad crash that happened last Oct. 26; tried to avoid some wet leaves, on a winding road, gravel just on the shoulder, went down....and they tell me I launched off my bike at just the right angle to hit a bridge abuttment,richochet off, and slide about 75 ft., ending up back in the middle of the road-came to, and the double yellow lines were directly under my head. Broken pelvis-the pubic bone in front seperated about 4 ", one of the wings of the pelvis broken right in half, internal stuff, and broken back in 3 places.
I was wearing a Fox Creek Leather "Ventilated Racer" jacket-and damn glad of it- if I hadn't, wouldn't have been here; padding is built in, part of the design, looks good, AND WORKS!! Of course I'm an advocate of some kind of safety precautions-at 56, it's taken a long time to be able to just walk again;
so-thin jackets, thin pants (or shorts) and sneakers may get you by for 999times, but it's the last little spin through the country roads on a glorious end of Autumn day- that might leave (no pun) you wishing for some protection and a lot of luck, and Grace from above...

piranha

New in Town
Good luck and get well soon.

That pubic bone thing had me reeling.

ideaguy said:
well...I'm sitting home recovering from a pretty bad crash that happened last Oct. 26; tried to avoid some wet leaves, on a winding road, gravel just on the shoulder, went down....and they tell me I launched off my bike at just the right angle to hit a bridge abuttment,richochet off, and slide about 75 ft., ending up back in the middle of the road-came to, and the double yellow lines were directly under my head. Broken pelvis-the pubic bone in front seperated about 4 ", one of the wings of the pelvis broken right in half, internal stuff, and broken back in 3 places.
I was wearing a Fox Creek Leather "Ventilated Racer" jacket-and damn glad of it- if I hadn't, wouldn't have been here; padding is built in, part of the design, looks good, AND WORKS!! Of course I'm an advocate of some kind of safety precautions-at 56, it's taken a long time to be able to just walk again;
so-thin jackets, thin pants (or shorts) and sneakers may get you by for 999times, but it's the last little spin through the country roads on a glorious end of Autumn day- that might leave (no pun) you wishing for some protection and a lot of luck, and Grace from above...

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
South said:
Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I've decided against the padding. The more I look at various pictures of it, it does add a lot of bulk that I don't want and seems funny for my purposes.

I was thinking about ordering the CHP, but in Vanson's dark brown. To be honest, though, I'm not looking for a real "biker" look - I don't ride a motorcycle (hope to in the future). I would much prefer a straight zipper and don't need the lapels. I also don't need zippers all over, although the CHP only has the two slash pockets.

I guess for what I'm looking for, I should order a Langlitz. I have a Crescent that is similar to an Enfield and love it. I'll order the Langlitz in a dark brown. I like some black leather jackets, but really prefer brown.

Thanks again.
Sounds like a cafe racer style jacket would be up your alley. I also think the perfecto style off-set zipper jacket comes with too much cultural baggage to wear either off or on the bike. I prefer something more subdued and less busy.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
2 layers better than 1 for durability

2 layers better than 1 for durability IMO for any leather jacket, but its hard to pull off the design gracefully. I think Lewis does it rather nicely. If you plan on wearing your elbows and/or shoulders a lot, your jacket will last longer with quilted shoulder layer and elbows. My Super Monza has them and I love it. It is a bit warmer than without but other factors play more in the temperature of the garment, like the tightness of the fit and if your wrists and bottom seals loose or tight. The elbows, shoulders and bottom edge of any jacket has wear points so the quilted additional layer serves to extend the durability of the jacket. If a jacket doesn't have it, then its just 1 layer of leather protecting, in which case, consistent quality hides are a must to have a durably serviceable jacket.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
South said:

Thanks again.

South,

Give Scott at Langlitz a call or email. They pretty much can do anything you want. I just ordered a Cascade, but have it looking a lot like the Highwayman. Also, they keep your measurements, so it should be super easy for you to order again.

South

One of the Regulars
Highanddry,

Would you care to share some details of your Cascade order? When is it supposed to arrive? (I ordered my Crescent from Scott and it's a fantastic jacket.)

What I have in mind for the Columbia (or, possibly a Cascade) is a straight zipper, dress collar, no lapels and in brown. A little bit longer in the body, too. I would like the drop-down curved back, such as comes on the Columbia.

I've also thought about ordering another brown Cascade similar to a Highwayman or Half Belt type. I very much like the weight and grain of the medium weight cowhide that Langlitz uses.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
South,

I ordered a Cascade with a straight zip, no zippers on cuffs, no zippers on pockets, straight back, no wind flap, no action back, dress collar (no lapels), a 1 inch band around the waist, and in brown.

Supposed to be done by the 24th, but Scott said they were sewing it last week, so I suspect sooner.

When it arrives, I'll post some pics.

South

One of the Regulars
HighandDry said:
South,

I ordered a Cascade with a straight zip, no zippers on cuffs, no zippers on pockets, straight back, no wind flap, no action back, dress collar (no lapels), a 1 inch band around the waist, and in brown.

Supposed to be done by the 24th, but Scott said they were sewing it last week, so I suspect sooner.

When it arrives, I'll post some pics.

Sounds great - can't wait to see the pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen