Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions for Alpha MA1's

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Such a shame the look has those racist connotations in the popular mind, because it's such a sharp one
It's indeed such a shame that a culture that originally had nothing to do with (or probably opposed) racism has taken such a negative reputation.

The only way they are able to sell a pair of eight hole docs now in 2017 for the same price as I paid in 1993 - £49 - is by moving production to China
As far as I know a new pair of made in china docs does not cost 49 pounds nowadays, rather thrice the price.

Edward

Bartender
It's indeed such a shame that a culture that originally had nothing to do with (or probably opposed) racism has taken such a negative reputation.

Indeed.... hopefully it can make a comeback one day. By no means was all of it "like that", but certainly enough of an element to put decent people off.

As far as I know a new pair of made in china docs does not cost 49 pounds nowadays, rather thrice the price.

Ouch, that's way up since last I looked.... On the Docs official site, they seem to start at around £100 for the classic eight hole boot; nearer £150 for the MiE and £200 for the 'for life' range. (Occasionally tempted by the latter, but with stuff as good as William Lennon available for much less.....) Google suggests that you can find a MiC leather pair for around £65, vbut yeah, that's definitely gone up. I guess it was inevitabled that they'd have to push the price up at some point. When I first went to China in 2006, we used to get 14 RMB to the pound; now it's typically nine.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Indeed.... hopefully it can make a comeback one day. By no means was all of it "like that", but certainly enough of an element to put decent people off.

Ouch, that's way up since last I looked.... On the Docs official site, they seem to start at around £100 for the classic eight hole boot; nearer £150 for the MiE and £200 for the 'for life' range. (Occasionally tempted by the latter, but with stuff as good as William Lennon available for much less.....) Google suggests that you can find a MiC leather pair for around £65, vbut yeah, that's definitely gone up. I guess it was inevitabled that they'd have to push the price up at some point. When I first went to China in 2006, we used to get 14 RMB to the pound; now it's typically nine.

Well, for martens style boots then the Solovairs are totally the boot to go. Similar styling and prices as the doc's with the difference being that the solovairs are the same as the good old MiE docs, while contemporary docs are definitely not worth the pennies.
I own 2 pairs of Lennons and i love them, waiting for the pound to drop even further so I can get a black pair as well.

Edward

Bartender
Not sure how much further it will drop, but it certainly seems to not be going up again in a hurry.

Just passed Silvermans on my way home. Nice looking Schott MA1 in the window... Orange liner, slash pockets. Usaf roundel. Black zips (not sure if those are accurate) and navy shell, tho. Not sure if they do a green.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Not sure how much further it will drop, but it certainly seems to not be going up again in a hurry.

Just passed Silvermans on my way home. Nice looking Schott MA1 in the window... Orange liner, slash pockets. Usaf roundel. Black zips (not sure if those are accurate) and navy shell, tho. Not sure if they do a green.

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-flight-jacket.htm?catID=46

was it this one? seems nice, a bit too long though I think.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sounds cool..couldn't see it on the Silvermans Website a minute ago..youth market skinny fit only....could go a decent Navy one too...not keen on roundels mind :)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Please excuse the poor quality, old mobile, shaking hand. I love this fit!

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 21.08.09.png Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 21.12.20.png

bn1966

The MA-1 is one of the best jackets ever :)

A number of Alpha NOS 'Vintage' series have appeared on the market recently (some under the Concord label). I could forgive the textiles if the colors were better....green too dark & B-15-modified Blue too pale :) The sizing in XL is 'spot-on' for me.

I purchased a XL service issue 80's Alpha MA-1 'Ground-Pounder' (ground-crew) jacket with synthetic interlining (nice and light)..ticked all the boxes apart from narrow shoulders..deal-breaker!!!

I wish Buzz jackets weren't so long or I'd be all over their later 60's MA-1 :)

Edward

Bartender
Yip, that's the standard post 72 flapped pocket model.

The Schott one, not sure which version I saw,only saw it in the window.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

Just browsing this thread whilst looking at my emails and the Stylecreep website has the Schott jackets on sale plus 15% extra off the sale with a code today - so £70 for the base model if thats of any use to anyone.

I had an Alpha once, I liked the look but the historic conotations and the fact it was a quite warm jacket, but also a quite short one which either meant for me a cold back or a too warm body so it went off to eBay.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

bn1966

keep in mind that this is a lightweight version, not the schott ma-1 (https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-flight-jacket.htm?catID=46). This lightweight version seems to be available only in Europe, https://www.schott-store.com/en/jackets/927-airlite.html . I don't like this fit. Here it is full of trendy guys wearing this kind of fashion ma-1 rip-offs.

That jacket & fit's not for the likes of you or I Harris :) If I want an L-2B (light-weight MA-1) I'll wear my original.

For me, I want an MA-1 that looks like an MA-1 (short boxy fit)..not this young Hipster nonsense...we'll leave that to Butte :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart