Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Aeros

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Are snaps or buttons out of the question? I'm sure I'm deep in the minority, but I think they're a decent compromise if you really want to hold things in those particular pockets. Personally, if I were getting a Premier Highwayman, I would still go completely open with the hand warmers.

Man I really wish the Premier Highwayman was around the last time I ordered a custom jacket. It ticks so many boxes for me in terms of style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Are snaps or buttons out of the question? I'm sure I'm deep in the minority, but I think they're a decent compromise if you really want to hold things in those particular pockets. Personally, if I were getting a Premier Highwayman, I would still go completely open with the hand warmers.

Man I really wish the Premier Highwayman was around the last time I ordered a custom jacket. It ticks so many boxes for me in terms of style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it ticks a lot of boxes for me too.

Snaps/buttons aren't out of the question, but I think I'd go without anything at first and then I think I could always add buttons later. And by later I mean if after months (or more) of wear I decide I want/need them. I know it'd cost more to do it after the fact, but I don't mind sinking money into something if I love it.

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Can I also ask for people's feedback on the Seal Vicenza? Especially anyone who has owned one for a while.

In my mind that's the leather I'm getting, but I'm still interested to hear any testimony about it; aging properties, suppleness etc. Weight doesn't bother me but I wanted the softest available (ignoring Goat because I want a fast and noticeable patina which Goat isn't ideal for). Carrie basically confirmed that the Seal is the softest, even over the jerky, oil pull etc.

Do you guys agree?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is one of the attributes of the LHB - plenty of pockets, the front two with snaps. I've had jackets with zips on the hand warmers, and the problem with them is that if it's cold enough to keep your hands in your pockets then those little metal teeth are going to be cold too. You wind up with chapped hands with scratches all over them.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Can I also ask for people's feedback on the Seal Vicenza? Especially anyone who has owned one for a while.

In my mind that's the leather I'm getting, but I'm still interested to hear any testimony about it; aging properties, suppleness etc. Weight doesn't bother me but I wanted the softest available (ignoring Goat because I want a fast and noticeable patina which Goat isn't ideal for). Carrie basically confirmed that the Seal is the softest, even over the jerky, oil pull etc.

Do you guys agree?

Vicenza is the most easy to wear horse I've tried. Painless break-in IMO.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Best thing I've found is to try some on. If you could get to Seattle that would be best (or make thier sale in August at Aero directly). Too much thinking ahead will just cloud your mind and have you loose focus. *What is it that Y O U want* it's your jacket after all... Just my $.02

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
Best thing I've found is to try some on. If you could get to Seattle that would be best (or make thier sale in August at Aero directly). Too much thinking ahead will just cloud your mind and have you loose focus. *What is it that Y O U want* it's your jacket after all... Just my $.02

Oh I definitely know what I do and don't like. I want/like a leather that's not super stiff and that drapes well. That's is why I'm confirming with people who already have it what it's characteristics are like. I'm just gathering the intel I can before buying, I don't think I'm at risk of losing focus. But thanks.

I live in Australia so visiting Thurston is not an option.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Oh I definitely know what I do and don't like. I want/like a leather that's not super stiff and that drapes well. That's is why I'm confirming with people who already have it what it's characteristics are like. I'm just gathering the intel I can before buying, I don't think I'm at risk of losing focus. But thanks.

I live in Australia so visiting Thurston is not an option.

Light leather is best down here. I had a FQHH half-belt which I never wore as it was either too heavy and too warm most of the year.

Stand By

One Too Many
No zips. I had them on the pockets of my Aero C-3 and those pockets are great hand-warmers - but the zips scraped my wrists enough over the years, which, in the depths of winter, just was a pain - and they sat just perfectly between the edge of the knitted cuffs of my Buzz A-10 gloves and the cuff of my sleeve on my B-6. So I had them removed and the pockets are now cuffed with russet HH leather. Much better!
The zips are good for security so nothing can fall out - that's all.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The Vicenza really must be something. I don't think I've ever heard such rave reviews about a particular hide.

Personally i found it a bit underwhelming, nice but nothing like the regular Horween CXL FQHH...
On the same level as the ELC Californian leather but with less character, not as nice as Shinki, a bit thin for my taste.
All that to say that like everything else, its a very personal matter and all of us like different leathers for different things.

To me the only thing in favour of vincenza is that it's wearable in warmer climates.

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
So I ordered my first Aero.

• Premiere Highwayman with 2 chest pockets and no zips on the handwarmer pockets
• Standard Highwayman yoke
• Modified Premier collar
• Zip sleeves
• Seal Vicenza
• Nickel hardware
• Olive cotton drill body lining, black sateen for sleeves
• An inside pocket without any closure

Now, the wait. Hopefully it doesn't turn to summer again before it gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points