Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions, Please

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont use steam. I use water from a spray bottle.

The height is fine.

The crown is too tapered for my tastes. In addition to shortening the sides dents, another way to get rid of some taper is to reshape the top of the hat.

If the hat looks better to you (less taper) with the side dents shortened, youre good to go.

It already looks like its got a c-crown or teardrop. After you shorten the side dents, another alternative is to put a center dent in the top, and then pull it out from the sides, making a diamond shaped crown. heres some images of my house Dobbs. It holds well whatever I do to it.

Here first is the hat, front view with long side dents such as yours. Notice the taper:
0122112200.jpg

Here it is with shortened side dents, the way it usually sits. Notice its a little wider up top:
0122112159.jpg

Here is its normal center dented top:
0122112158.jpg

Here it is, the top pulled out into a diamond. Notice the extra width of the top of the crown in the next two photos:
0122112158a.jpg

0122112158b.jpg

As you can see, I was able to lessen the taper of the hat, first with the shortened side dents, and then more with the diamond crease. You hat is starting with a teardrop/c-crown, which is midway between the center dent and diamond, but you can play with it and see what you like. At least now you have some visuals. Good luck!

Duper

Practically Family
Crown looks just fine. Look at distance from bottom of the ribbon to the top of the crown & the bottom of the ribbon to your chin. Your face shape supports that crown height just fine. I like long side dents, so those are just fine with me. Good job.

I recall seeing a diagram one time with superimposed triangles and measurements to determine crown heights for face length and the like. Can anyone point us at that again?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think its fine. It just needs the correct block to bring the crown to what it should be.
You take a # 52 block for a 5 3\4 crown in your size.
Damn, that would be what most here would kill for.
I dont care how much fog you have... taper aint good.
Good luck and welcome to the Lounge!

Nothing wrong with taper, not everything has to be straight :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I agree with Scotty, he pushed the top into a diamond and it's pushing the sides of the crown out and will balance things out a little. Too much or too little taper is subjective, but since you asked for opinions....:)

mhollis44

Familiar Face
Thanks guys. Scotty, those pictures were great and just what I needed for ideas. I'll give it a shot and post more pictures this evening.

Thanks again.

I dont use steam. I use water from a spray bottle. The height is fine.
The crown is too tapered for my tastes. In addition to shortening the sides dents, another way to get rid of some taper is to reshape the top of the hat. If the hat looks better to you (less taper) with the side dents shortened, youre good to go. It already looks like its got a c-crown or teardrop. After you shorten the side dents, another alternative is to put a center dent in the top, and then pull it out from the sides, making a diamond shaped crown. heres some images of my house Dobbs. It holds well whatever I do to it.
Here first is the hat, front view with long side dents such as yours. Notice the taper:
0122112200.jpg

Here it is with shortened side dents, the way it usually sits. Notice its a little wider up top:
0122112159.jpg

Here is its normal center dented top:
0122112158.jpg

Here it is, the top pulled out into a diamond. Notice the extra width of the top of the crown in the next two photos:
0122112158a.jpg

0122112158b.jpg

As you can see, I was able to lessen the taper of the hat, first with the shortened side dents, and then more with the diamond crease. You hat is starting with a teardrop/c-crown, which is midway between the center dent and diamond, but you can play with it and see what you like. At least now you have some visuals. Good luck!

This is a great demonstration!

In a talk with Matt Deckard his research as to general looks of fedoras (if I got this right) when it comes to taper, early fedoras of the 20's and 30's would be straight up and down in appearance or actually have reverse taper. In the 40's you did not see taper much. Later hats from many of the big makers for the 60's on until the present have low crowns and taper. If you are looking for a vintage look 40's or before you'll generally try to avoid taper on the crown to get the look right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou