Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions, Please

mhollis44

Familiar Face
I'm looking for opinions for a project I completed last night. I bought a "made to my specs" western hat last year from a gentleman in Lebanon, TN who makes hats in his spare time. I love the color and fur (30X from Winchester, TN), but I never wore the thing due to the 5" brim that was present. So....last night I performed surgery and shortened the brim to 2 3/4" and put in a teardrop crease. I'm now concerned that the crown is too tall. What do you guys think? Sorry for the self portrait, but no one is here at the house but me.

This is my first shot at a teardrop....should I make the side creases a little shorter?

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate all I've learned on the FL.

Matt

In the top shot where you are facing the camera the upper part of the crown has a lot of taper inwards and that seems to accentuate the too tall look. Try bringing the crown height down a bit and see that reduces the taper.

mhollis44

Familiar Face
Thanks for the quick replies.

John, I've taken your advice and have tried to shorten the crown height. I think that might be the trick. My problem is getting it to stay at the new height without rolling back up. I've dampened the fur but it still wants to roll back. Is there a solution for this?

Matt

Thanks for the quick replies. John, I've taken your advice and have tried to shorten the crown height. I think that might be the trick. My problem is getting it to stay at the new height without rolling back up. I've dampened the fur but it still wants to roll back. Is there a solution for this?
Matt

I think if you use some steam such as from a tea kettle on the boil on the stove, you might also try pinching the crease into the hot felt to stay in place.

Crown looks just fine. Look at distance from bottom of the ribbon to the top of the crown & the bottom of the ribbon to your chin. Your face shape supports that crown height just fine. I like long side dents, so those are just fine with me. Good job.

frussell

One Too Many
On that particular hat, I think what you're seeing as too tall is the narrowness from the front view. Instead of bringing down the crown height (which looks fine to me), try popping the side dents out a little at the rear, so that they are only in the front half of the hat. That should make for a less pointy front view. Brim looks just right, overall a pretty good conversion in my book. Frank

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree with and echo Frussell's opinion and suggestion. My own experience, however little of it I have, has shown me that deep, long dents increase the perception of taper.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for opinions for a project I completed last night. I bought a "made to my specs" western hat last year from a gentleman in Lebanon, TN who makes hats in his spare time. I love the color and fur (30X from Winchester, TN), but I never wore the thing due to the 5" brim that was present. So....last night I performed surgery and shortened the brim to 2 3/4" and put in a teardrop crease. I'm now concerned that the crown is too tall. What do you guys think? Sorry for the self portrait, but no one is here at the house but me.

This is my first shot at a teardrop....should I make the side creases a little shorter?

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate all I've learned on the FL.

Matt

This looks GREAT !! DON'T CHANGE A THING except maybe bring the front pinch forward from the halfway point of the crown at the sides. It will straighten up the crown and take some of the taper out of it. But with your head shape and size the taper that is there it looks PERFECT IMHO :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And I wouldn't use steam, you may set that supposed taper in. Like some others have suggested, bring the crown height down a tad and loosen up the pinch up near the top. Also, looking at the top shot I would say that the side dents go to far back. Bring them forward about half the length of the dents and that should reduce the tapered look. From the top you should have a broad arrow in the front not such a narrow one like is shown in the picture of the top of the hat. Give that a try before using the steam to set what you have done and show us a couple more pics. We're always happy to be of some sort of help.

Cheers!

Dan

RBH

Bartender
I think its fine. It just needs the correct block to bring the crown to what it should be.
You take a # 52 block for a 5 3\4 crown in your size.
Damn, that would be what most here would kill for.
I dont care how much fog you have... taper aint good.
Good luck and welcome to the Lounge!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters