Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimal Weight/Thickness

One thing, though - I wouldn't feel comfortable paying more money for a lighter jacket than what a heavier one costs, as I wouldn't be entirely sure what exactly I actually am paying for. But again, that's just me.
I feel exactly the same way...can't even begin to explain it

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't feel comfortable paying more money for a lighter jacket than what a heavier one costs, as I wouldn't be entirely sure what exactly I actually am paying for.

Perhaps you are paying for better construction? Maybe better detailing? Perhaps a better quality leather (e.g., grain, correction, tanning)?

Would you pay more for a 3 oz leather jacket with palpably better construction and detailing, as compared to a 4 oz leather jacket with obviously lessor quality construction?

Let me try a (likely inapposite) analogy: Would you pay more money for a two carat D / FL / Excellent diamond, as compared to a five carat N / I1 / Fair diamond? The five carat diamond is more than twice the size, but . . .

Superfluous

I recently saw a photo of a spectacularly thick/heavy leather jacket that was coming apart at the seams. Does heavier leather put more stress on seams. Is heavier leather more prone to seam separation? Does heavier leather require greater reinforcement (e.g., double stitched seams, etc.)?

bn1966

Too thick & heavy for me makes a jacket much less wearable :)

I've got two Cape jackets that are light & relatively thin but of great quality & get much wear time during the warmer months.

red devil

Interesting topic, I have had more than one leather jacket get torn in the past. And I am not even sure when and how that happened. So I do want a leather jacket to be durable. The jackets that got torn were not all lamb but they were thin.

So having a certain weight/thickness is certainly important, how much... I am not sure

We have already discussed that function can affect the weight/thickness of your jacket. But leather type as well, a kangaroo jacket will be very thin yet as durable as a heavy horsehide if not more.

Last edited:
10lbs!?? Weak. I've been keeping it on the DL but my next jacket is 30oz 75lb blue whale hide. I pulled the beast out of the ocean myself. It's ok b/c I'm a marine biologist.
IMG_8677.JPG

willyto

One Too Many
I for one would start saying that the heavy leather thing has gone way too far. The whole quality and durability argument of super ultra heavy rigid leather is flawed the moment you can find vintage leather jackets that are 80 year old still standing in wearable condition in lighter leathers that were used in the past.

Vintage leather is tough as nails and it doesn't weight as much as the new heavy ones.

In fact kangaroo leather is tougher than any leather out there and it's thinner and lighter....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had a terrible, oversized heavy leather jacket. I didn't wear it properly, never belted the damn thing as I should've, and it draped over me terribly - though obviously I thought it looked great at the time. Over years of serious wear, the stitching at the top became ever more visible and weakened as the front and back panels made a slow bid to escape each other.

Ivan, I think you made a mistake with the quote function. I never posted that I have an "Aero 4.5 oz 10 lbs HWM..."

lol I honesty have no clue how that happened! I was trying to word a response to your earlier post but today, I find struggling with English so incredibly difficult I gave up on the idea. But the fact that you do need one of those still stands.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
I like heavier leather jackets, but I like heavier clothes in general, whether jackets, flannel or denim.

In my experience, heavier weight doesn't mean more durable, warmer or higher quality. It's just a personal preference thing. However, I do get a perverse joy from surprising people when I hand them my jacket and they realize it's about ten pounds heavier than they thought.

I think the real point of the thing is that fit ultimately trumps hide. One of the best fitting jackets I ever owned was a $50 flimsy Brooks. 99 out of 100 would say it beats everything that I've ever owned. Despite my own desire to improve I could've left well enough alone a decade ago...and have more $$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy