Optimo south side mobsters

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Bruce Wayne, Jun 23, 2008.

1. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Optimo custom. This is my new favorite hat, ever.

This is an unusual color. They found this back in the factory for me. It is an extra light colored camel. They called the color: "Custom Cellar Soft Camel (Heirloom)". I ordered it open crown (5") so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown. I widened the snap on the front brim a bit as it looked a little narrow in these pictures.

The color and the ribbon reflect my desire for a minimalist look that will easily blend into a crowd. A feather was included. Usually I discard feathers, but this feather belongs with the hat.

Optimo is offering sizes in quarters. This is a 57.25 which fits perfectly.

The brim 2 3/8" underwelt.

Words cannot express how happy I am. It's the most amazing hat I personally have ever owned. Feel free to bury me in it, but not yet.

Optimo Camel Open Crowned 3.JPG Optimo Camel Open Crowned 6.JPG Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (1).jpg Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (2).jpg Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (3).jpg Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (4).jpg Optimo Camel inside 2.JPG Optimo Camel inside 4.JPG Dennis with new Camel Optimo March 21 2019 f.JPG Dennis with new Camel Optimo March 21 2019.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    quikrick, RBH, alanfgag and 8 others like this.
  2. steur

steur

Cool hat, Dennis. I really like that understated bow design.

DRB likes this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

It just seems to exude softness. Is it a beaver felt?

DRB likes this.
  4. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Yes, it's 100% beaver and the pounce is as soft as a peach. All of the Optimo "heirloom" felts are 100% beaver.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  5. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Thanks Stefan, the ribbon design was integral in obtaining the minimalist look. Blending in, yet standing out.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

My Heirloom Camel is very similar.

I have about 13 Optimos, two VS, one Black Sheep Hat Works, and one Gannon.
    Although my Black Cherry VS is very, very nice, I still think my Heirloom Felt Optimos are nicer, with the Classic Weight felts being only slightly superior.

My Optimo Melusine is magnificent, even better than my BSHW melusine, and my BSHW is a nicer hat than my Gannon. The Gannon is a great hat nonetheless.

I'd say Optimos are the best modern hats I own, but I have several vintage hats that are even better and cost a lot less.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DRB, bowlerman, Rmccamey and 5 others like this.
  7. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Dr. Max: That's a big herd of beavers you have there :)

8. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

If you use cost as a scaling factor, does your order change?

belfastboy and DRB like this.
  9. DRB

DRB One Too Many

My philosophy is to buy the best you can the first time so I don't have to keep buying more hats. I still value them in the same order. I think Optimo does the best stitching and sources the best hat bodies. Every hat I have by them has been pristine. Every stitch, liner, sweatband, ribbon, brim, pounce has been absolutely perfect. They have tapered hat blocks. Gary White has awesome hat bodies. He has mink/beavers, like Optimo. He has Cavanaugh edges. They aren't making Cavanaugh edges any more as far as I know. He bought them from a factory that had a supply of them and was going out of business. He has hat blocks that I favor (tapered). Art Fawcett is better at sewing than Gary White, but did not have tapered crowns when I asked. Art and Gary seem like awesome guys to me. I don't know Graham but Optimo has impeccable service. I believe the resale value is higher with Optimo (but I'm not selling). All three will provide excellent hats for the money. This is just one man's opinion. Your mileage may vary. Optimo is currently working on three more. Not bragging, I just put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    bowlerman, Tonio, Rmccamey and 2 others like this.
  10. ruvort

ruvort One of the Regulars

Same here. "Buy once. Cry once."

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

DRB and Bruce Wayne like this.
  11. Hats Matter

Hats Matter One of the Regulars

I have over 20 Optimo hats that I have purchased over many years. I have always been impressed with the quality and the service. As I travel through my journey of life I have found that you get what you are willing to pay for. Fortunately I am able to afford what I want. I realize that not everyone is in the same position but I just like the Optimo product.

DRB likes this.
  12. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Yep! You summed up Optimo pretty well: perfect.

DRB likes this.
  13. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Optimo has a new hat. It is rollable.

"A new style, specially made for the traveler. The Optimo Mundo is rollable, crushable, and packable"
    Mundo Rollable and crushable.jpg Mundo Rollable and crushable b.jpg

14. UnclePete

UnclePete New in Town

How much $$$$

Rmccamey likes this.
  15. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

People who buy Optimos don’t normally ask that question. I just admire them from afar and hope to find one on the secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. glider

glider One of the Regulars

There website does have some prices along with various hat styles. Seems like 1000 is a fairly average price for off the shelf. To rich for my blood but I suppose they may very well be worth it.

belfastboy, Rmccamey and drmaxtejeda like this.
  17. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

That is relative. On weeks when I did well at my office I feel glad I bought my Optimos. On bad weeks I feel buyer's remorse. When that happens, I take one out of the Optimo safe and handle it. It makes me feel better right away.
    I always feel like every one of them is of the highest quality in every detail.

18. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Here's an Optimo Straw for the ladies.....

The Optimo French Press in Montecristi Panama Straw. the Optimo French Press in Montecristi Panama Straw b.jpg the Optimo French Press in Montecristi Panama Straw.jpg

19. konadog

konadog A-List Customer

My most recent addition to my Optimo family - a gray Dearborn...

OptimoGray042019-12.jpg OptimoGray042019-2.jpg OptimoGray042019-9.jpg

20. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (7).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (1).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (2a).JPG Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (3).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (4).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (5).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (6).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (8).jpg Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (9).jpg Here's the lastest addition to my heard of Optimo Beavers. My new go to hat, because the color goes with most clothing.

Silverbelly. I ordered it open crown (5") so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown.

The color and the ribbon reflect my desire for a minimalist look that will easily blend into a crowd, yet lend a slight hint of distinction.

This is a 57.25 which fits perfectly. The brim 2 1/8" underwelt.

Very happy.