Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

DRB

One Too Many
Optimo custom. This is my new favorite hat, ever.

This is an unusual color. They found this back in the factory for me. It is an extra light colored camel. They called the color: "Custom Cellar Soft Camel (Heirloom)". I ordered it open crown (5") so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown. I widened the snap on the front brim a bit as it looked a little narrow in these pictures.

The color and the ribbon reflect my desire for a minimalist look that will easily blend into a crowd. A feather was included. Usually I discard feathers, but this feather belongs with the hat.

Optimo is offering sizes in quarters. This is a 57.25 which fits perfectly.

The brim 2 3/8" underwelt.

Words cannot express how happy I am. It's the most amazing hat I personally have ever owned. Feel free to bury me in it, but not yet.

Optimo Camel Open Crowned 3.JPG
Optimo Camel Open Crowned 6.JPG
Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (1).jpg
Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (2).jpg
Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (3).jpg
Optimo Camel delivered Open Crowned with my crease March 21 2019 1a (4).jpg
Optimo Camel inside 2.JPG
Optimo Camel inside 4.JPG
Dennis with new Camel Optimo March 21 2019 f.JPG
Dennis with new Camel Optimo March 21 2019.JPG

Last edited:

This is an unusual color. They found this back in the factory for me. It is an extra light colored camel. I ordered it open crown so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown. I widened the snap on the front brim a bit as it looked a little narrow in these pictures.

The color and the ribbon reflect my desire for a minimalist look that will easily blend into a crowd. A feather was included. Usually I discard feathers, but this feather belongs with the hat.

Words cannot express how happy I am. It's the most amazing hat I personally have ever owned. Feel free to bury me in it, but not yet.

View attachment 161785 View attachment 161786 View attachment 161787 View attachment 161788 View attachment 161789 View attachment 161790 View attachment 161791 View attachment 161792 View attachment 161793 View attachment 161794
Cool hat, Dennis. I really like that understated bow design.

Reactions: DRB

This is an unusual color. They found this back in the factory for me. It is an extra light colored camel. They called the color: "Custom Cellar Soft Camel (Heirloom)". I ordered it open crown so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown. I widened the snap on the front brim a bit as it looked a little narrow in these pictures.

View attachment 161785 View attachment 161786 View attachment 161787 View attachment 161788 View attachment 161789 View attachment 161790 View attachment 161791 View attachment 161792 View attachment 161793 View attachment 161794
It just seems to exude softness. Is it a beaver felt?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

This is an unusual color. They found this back in the factory for me. It is an extra light colored camel. They called the color: "Custom Cellar Soft Camel (Heirloom)". I ordered it open crown so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown. I widened the snap on the front brim a bit as it looked a little narrow in these pictures.

My Heirloom Camel is very similar.

I have about 13 Optimos, two VS, one Black Sheep Hat Works, and one Gannon.
Although my Black Cherry VS is very, very nice, I still think my Heirloom Felt Optimos are nicer, with the Classic Weight felts being only slightly superior.

My Optimo Melusine is magnificent, even better than my BSHW melusine, and my BSHW is a nicer hat than my Gannon. The Gannon is a great hat nonetheless.

I'd say Optimos are the best modern hats I own, but I have several vintage hats that are even better and cost a lot less.
4f9d4080f1d1e98a973e18c4bc4d911f.jpg
5f886a92f14f479f514a560c4d84ba93.jpg
6492f039fc4b51554cf1bdda77bb6b19.jpg
a367a8da8c659d4966a3a4d555172511.jpg
cdeb7fb77dce26fceb8692c595fa16c6.jpg
6aea38fe87d26caebce0440222dc576d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
f4fb1179ce63959fc791a604d3e66288.jpg
de54ff8aa70a3168176f0fa380f7c5eb.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
My Heirloom Camel is very similar.

I have about 13 Optimos, two VS, one Black Sheep Hat Works, and one Gannon.
Although my Black Cherry VS is very, very nice, I still think my Heirloom Felt Optimos are nicer, with the Classic Weight felts being only slightly superior.

My Optimo Melusine is magnificent, even better than my BSHW melusine, and my BSHW is a nicer hat than my Gannon. The Gannon is a great hat nonetheless.

I'd say Optimos are the best modern hats I own, but I have several vintage hats that are even better and cost a lot less.
4f9d4080f1d1e98a973e18c4bc4d911f.jpg
5f886a92f14f479f514a560c4d84ba93.jpg
6492f039fc4b51554cf1bdda77bb6b19.jpg
a367a8da8c659d4966a3a4d555172511.jpg
cdeb7fb77dce26fceb8692c595fa16c6.jpg
6aea38fe87d26caebce0440222dc576d.jpg

f4fb1179ce63959fc791a604d3e66288.jpg
de54ff8aa70a3168176f0fa380f7c5eb.jpg
Dr. Max: That's a big herd of beavers you have there :)

DRB

One Too Many
If you use cost as a scaling factor, does your order change?
My philosophy is to buy the best you can the first time so I don't have to keep buying more hats. I still value them in the same order. I think Optimo does the best stitching and sources the best hat bodies. Every hat I have by them has been pristine. Every stitch, liner, sweatband, ribbon, brim, pounce has been absolutely perfect. They have tapered hat blocks. Gary White has awesome hat bodies. He has mink/beavers, like Optimo. He has Cavanaugh edges. They aren't making Cavanaugh edges any more as far as I know. He bought them from a factory that had a supply of them and was going out of business. He has hat blocks that I favor (tapered). Art Fawcett is better at sewing than Gary White, but did not have tapered crowns when I asked. Art and Gary seem like awesome guys to me. I don't know Graham but Optimo has impeccable service. I believe the resale value is higher with Optimo (but I'm not selling). All three will provide excellent hats for the money. This is just one man's opinion. Your mileage may vary. Optimo is currently working on three more. Not bragging, I just put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited:

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
I have over 20 Optimo hats that I have purchased over many years. I have always been impressed with the quality and the service. As I travel through my journey of life I have found that you get what you are willing to pay for. Fortunately I am able to afford what I want. I realize that not everyone is in the same position but I just like the Optimo product.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
My philosophy is to buy the best you can the first time so I don't have to keep buying more hats. I still value them in the same order. I think Optimo does the best stitching and sources the best hat bodies. Every hat I have by them has been pristine. Every stitch, liner, sweatband, ribbon, brim has been absolutely perfect. They have tapered hat blocks. Gary White has awesome hat bodies. He has mink/beavers, like Optimo. He has Cavanaugh edges. They aren't making Cavanaugh edges any more as far as I know. He bought them from a factory that had a supply of them and was going out of business. He has hat blocks that I favor (tapered). Art Fawcett is better at sewing than Gary White, but did not have tapered crowns when I asked. Art and Gary seem like awesome guys to me. I don't know Graham but Optimo has impeccable service. All three will provide excellent hats for the money. This is just one man's opinion. Your mileage may vary. Optimo is currently working on three more. Not bragging, I just put my money where my mouth is.
Yep! You summed up Optimo pretty well: perfect.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
There website does have some prices along with various hat styles. Seems like 1000 is a fairly average price for off the shelf. To rich for my blood but I suppose they may very well be worth it.
That is relative. On weeks when I did well at my office I feel glad I bought my Optimos. On bad weeks I feel buyer's remorse. When that happens, I take one out of the Optimo safe and handle it. It makes me feel better right away.
I always feel like every one of them is of the highest quality in every detail.

DRB

One Too Many
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (7).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (1).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (2a).JPG
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (3).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (4).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (5).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (6).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (8).jpg
Optimo Silverbelly May 10 2019 (9).jpg
Here's the lastest addition to my heard of Optimo Beavers. My new go to hat, because the color goes with most clothing.

Silverbelly. I ordered it open crown (5") so that I can align the pinch properly over the nose on my, apparently crooked, head. I put a crease in it that has a wider pinch, which reflects my style. The felt seemed to welcome the crease that I put into the open crown.

The color and the ribbon reflect my desire for a minimalist look that will easily blend into a crowd, yet lend a slight hint of distinction.

This is a 57.25 which fits perfectly. The brim 2 1/8" underwelt.

Very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk