Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Another Optimo, and it just about fits…just a bit tight. Despite the older liner, the felt is nicer than most Optimos that I’ve had. Nicely made, but it reinforces my opinion of Optimo. 2 ½” wide brim with an underwelt. Size is 7 ⅝ or 61cm.

IMG_0523.jpeg
IMG_0525.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0541.jpeg
IMG_0542.jpeg

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Beautiful hat and great photos.

Optimo makes stunning hats that respect tradition without becoming shackled by it. I own two felts and one straw. They are expensive but I also believe worth the price especially as Graham is supporting skilled employees in a brick and mortar shop in a restored location. All good things for the city.

I’ll be there in March and likely will not walk out empty-handed.

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Beautiful hat and great photos.

Optimo makes stunning hats that respect tradition without becoming shackled by it. I own two felts and one straw. They are expensive but I also believe worth the price especially as Graham is supporting skilled employees in a brick and mortar shop in a restored location. All good things for the city.

I’ll be there in March and likely will not walk out empty-handed.
As mentioned, I did as I said.

Saw Graham who took considerable time working with me. His patience is matched only by his knowledge of our shared appreciation of high quality hats.

And he is a gentleman.

Talked not only of felts etc but how best to make a C-Crown, how best to store hats and brims, the history of the Cavanagh edge etc. And I thought I knew hats. No. He’s forgotten more than I’ll ever learn.

I purchased this hat.

A “blueberry” made of silver beaver and enhanced by a vintage French ribbon from the 1930s. Check out the edge.

First photo: (The Hat purchased) I think it is a stunningly well made and beautiful hat.

Second photo: He has several others that are also worth considering. But I must be disciplined.

Last (third) photo: Your man (Altiori) with Graham.
IMG_5321.jpeg
IMG_5319.jpeg
IMG_5324.jpeg

Neil Macdonald

New in Town
I recently bought a 7 ½ Optimo. Doc @NewJack reached out and offered a trade. This 7 ⅝ was my end of it:

View attachment 577746 View attachment 577747 View attachment 577748 View attachment 577749 View attachment 577750 View attachment 577751 View attachment 577752 View attachment 577753 View attachment 577754 View attachment 577755

It’s in great condition, but it’s half to a whole size too small for me. The felt on the 7 ½ blue-gray was more to my liking with a softer hand.

I’ve now owned around seven Optimos now. They are all well-made hats. The styling, including the tapered crowns and modest crown heights, just don’t work for me. The felt has been good or better, but I’ve never found it to be exceptional.
Are you selling the hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner